Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Tilde File Name

Tilde File Name

Rider

One of my clients has noticed a file in some of his document directories,
which just has the tilde character as the file name. No extension, and no
details about who created it.

I'm of the opinion that Office 2003 is creating it, and this is just a stab
in the dark .... when he opens or modifies some of his documents.

Anyone seen this before?

Rider

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Rider wrote:
> One of my clients has noticed a file in some of his document directories,
> which just has the tilde character as the file name. No extension, and no
> details about who created it.

> Anyone seen this before?

what does the file have in it if opened in say... notepad? anything
interesting?

Rider

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rider wrote:
>> One of my clients has noticed a file in some of his document directories,
>> which just has the tilde character as the file name. No extension, and no
>> details about who created it.

>> Anyone seen this before?

> what does the file have in it if opened in say... notepad? anything
> interesting?

I wasn't keen on opening it just yet to look. I thought I'd see if anyone
knows of it first. If not then I'll take a gander at its contents.

I was hoping it was an Office 2003 thing. But as I havent used Off 2003 I
wasnt sure.

Seeing as its only in some directories where he stores Word files, and not
all directories that he uses to store his quotes and letters .... I was
thinking it might be a tracking file. He said he's deleted them previously
and they just reappear.

Alan

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:QiBJd.11614$(E-Mail Removed)...

> One of my clients has noticed a file in some of his document
> directories, which just has the tilde character as the file name. No
> extension, and no details about who created it.
>
> I'm of the opinion that Office 2003 is creating it, and this is just
> a stab in the dark .... when he opens or modifies some of his
> documents.
>
> Anyone seen this before?
>
> Rider

Hi Rider,

Have a look at this from MS:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830921

HTH,

Alan.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Rider wrote:
>>what does the file have in it if opened in say... notepad? anything
>>interesting?

> I wasn't keen on opening it just yet to look. I thought I'd see if anyone
> knows of it first. If not then I'll take a gander at its contents.

well I use O2k3 here at work and used to use it at home too, and havent
seen it, not saying it's not an O2k3 thing, but yeah...

what size is it?

Rider

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IBBJd.11628$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:QiBJd.11614$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> One of my clients has noticed a file in some of his document
>> directories, which just has the tilde character as the file name. No
>> extension, and no details about who created it.
>>
>> I'm of the opinion that Office 2003 is creating it, and this is just
>> a stab in the dark .... when he opens or modifies some of his
>> documents.
>>
>> Anyone seen this before?
>>
>> Rider
>>

> Hi Rider,
>
> Have a look at this from MS:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830921
>
> HTH,
>
> Alan.

Cheers, I had seen this ... might try it to see if it works.

Rider

T-Boy

In article <epBJd.11615$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Rider wrote:
> >> One of my clients has noticed a file in some of his document directories,
> >> which just has the tilde character as the file name. No extension, and no
> >> details about who created it.

> >> Anyone seen this before?

> > what does the file have in it if opened in say... notepad? anything
> > interesting?

> I wasn't keen on opening it just yet to look. I thought I'd see if anyone
> knows of it first. If not then I'll take a gander at its contents.

No harm in opening it in a text editor.

--
Duncan

Axle

Rider wrote:
> One of my clients has noticed a file in some of his document directories,
> which just has the tilde character as the file name. No extension, and no
> details about who created it.
>
> I'm of the opinion that Office 2003 is creating it, and this is just a stab
> in the dark .... when he opens or modifies some of his documents.
>
> Anyone seen this before?
>
> Rider

Maybe this
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830921

> A file that is named "~" appears on the desktop or in another location on the hard disk when you edit a contact in the Outlook Express Windows Address Book

~misfit~

Rider wrote:
> One of my clients has noticed a file in some of his document
> directories, which just has the tilde character as the file name. No
> extension, and no details about who created it.
>
> I'm of the opinion that Office 2003 is creating it, and this is just
> a stab in the dark .... when he opens or modifies some of his
> documents.
>
> Anyone seen this before?

I thought everybody knew about this. It's Outlook Express playing up,
dumping it's address book backup files in the wrong place with the wrong
name (~) and was caused by applying a patch or Hotfix. There's nothing you
can do about it either, unless one of the MS boys have fixed it. About all
you can do is manually back up your address book and delete the '~' when you
find it.
--
~misfit~

Collector»NZ

T-Boy said the following on 26/01/2005 4:02 p.m.:
> In article <epBJd.11615$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>what does the file have in it if opened in say... notepad? anything
>>>interesting?

>>I wasn't keen on opening it just yet to look. I thought I'd see if anyone
>>knows of it first. If not then I'll take a gander at its contents.

> No harm in opening it in a text editor.

Yeah Notepad must be one of the least compromised of MS Programs

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it. Some can avoid it.
Geniuses remove it

Tilde In File Names: What Function? (Pete Cresswell) HTML 12 12-12-2004 06:35 PM
parse tilde delimited file monte C++ 3 09-23-2004 09:17 PM
Use of Tilde (~) and <LINK> =?Utf-8?B?QWxleCBNYWdoZW4=?= ASP .Net 2 05-10-2004 11:06 PM
tilde-replacement changes from framework 1.0 to 1.1 ???? CHristian Niss ASP .Net 0 10-31-2003 09:19 AM
Tilde for relative path SStory ASP .Net 2 10-19-2003 12:45 AM

Advertisments