Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > XP Home - Multiple Wireless Connections

XP Home - Multiple Wireless Connections

=?Utf-8?B?am9obnQ=?=

I have a laptop which is currently setup for use at my office and requires a
specific DNS address, so that the office scanner is able to identify my PC
and return scanned images directly to it (so my Administartor informs me). I
need to setup another connection for my home office, which is also wireless
enabled. Both wireless systems use the same IP address range when
automatically assigning addresses. It is only the DNS entries that seem to be
causing me issues.
Can you have multiple wireless connections under XP Home as you can with XP
Professional? If so, how do I set them up? Thankyou.

James Gockel

XP Home and Xp Pro in that department arent any different as far as I
know...
You can't have multiple static ip settings in either! But the best option I
can tell you right now is (1) using hardware profiles (I've never used this
personally but I assume) you can set up entirely different settings for
hardware in different hardware profiles. (2) Change your router's setings at
home to allow your same settings for your work settings. You may have to
consult your router's manual for this, which most routers don't come with
good manuals so you may need to go to the manufactures site and see what
info they can give you.

But try the hardware profiles first, I might try it too, because I have some
stuff I want to try with different settings for my wireless (and
bridging)... hmmm. You've made me think of trying somthing.
-James G.

"johnt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a laptop which is currently setup for use at my office and requires
> specific DNS address, so that the office scanner is able to identify my PC
> and return scanned images directly to it (so my Administartor informs me).
> need to setup another connection for my home office, which is also
> wireless
> enabled. Both wireless systems use the same IP address range when
> automatically assigning addresses. It is only the DNS entries that seem to
> be
> causing me issues.
> Can you have multiple wireless connections under XP Home as you can with
> XP
> Professional? If so, how do I set them up? Thankyou.

James Gockel

Well I just rained on my own parade. Aparently network connections are not
hardware. Nor are they hardware settings. So why would I think hardware
profiles allow me to save a bridge in one and a non-bridge in a nother.
Though I don't know about the actual settings themselves for the wireless
adapter, they may stay in hardware profiles. So good luck. As I go delete my
extra profile. (Now I'm thinking about an actual user profile... can I set
up a bridge in a user, and a nonbridge user?) I should just go to bed...
heh.
Good luck with trying hardware profiles for adapter settings.
-James G.

"James Gockel" <flibbertigibbet007_at_hotmail_dot_com> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP Home and Xp Pro in that department arent any different as far as I
> know...
> You can't have multiple static ip settings in either! But the best option
> I can tell you right now is (1) using hardware profiles (I've never used
> this personally but I assume) you can set up entirely different settings
> for hardware in different hardware profiles. (2) Change your router's
> setings at home to allow your same settings for your work settings. You
> may have to consult your router's manual for this, which most routers
> don't come with good manuals so you may need to go to the manufactures
> site and see what info they can give you.
>
> But try the hardware profiles first, I might try it too, because I have
> some stuff I want to try with different settings for my wireless (and
> bridging)... hmmm. You've made me think of trying somthing.
> -James G.
>

> "johnt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a laptop which is currently setup for use at my office and requires
>> specific DNS address, so that the office scanner is able to identify my
>> PC
>> and return scanned images directly to it (so my Administartor informs
>> me). I
>> need to setup another connection for my home office, which is also
>> wireless
>> enabled. Both wireless systems use the same IP address range when
>> automatically assigning addresses. It is only the DNS entries that seem
>> to be
>> causing me issues.
>> Can you have multiple wireless connections under XP Home as you can with
>> XP
>> Professional? If so, how do I set them up? Thankyou.

Malke

johnt wrote:

> I have a laptop which is currently setup for use at my office and
> requires a specific DNS address, so that the office scanner is able to
> identify my PC and return scanned images directly to it (so my
> Administartor informs me). I need to setup another connection for my
> home office, which is also wireless enabled. Both wireless systems use
> the same IP address range when automatically assigning addresses. It
> is only the DNS entries that seem to be causing me issues.
> Can you have multiple wireless connections under XP Home as you can
> with XP Professional? If so, how do I set them up? Thankyou.

Yes, you can. This has nothing to do with the operating system being Pro
or Home. There are two ways of doing this: natively and with
third-party multinetwork managers.

For the native way, you can use the Alternate Configuration for your
wireless connection. For ex., my son's laptop needs to connect
wirelessly at school with a static IP address on network 192.168.2.xxx.
At home, the laptop needs to connect dynamically on network
192.168.1.xxx. By using the Alternate Configuration for the second
network, the laptop will use the first network settings and then time
out when it can't connect. It will then switch over to the second
network settings and connect. It takes < 30 seconds.

If you don't want to wait for the time out or need more than two
configurations, use a third-party multinetwork manager.

Here are links to help you with all of this:

Automatic Configuration for Multiple Networks -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...utoconfig.mspx

Third-party:
http://www.netswitcher.com - NetSwitcher
http://www.globesoft.com/mnm_home.html - MultiNetwork Manager
http://www.mobilenetswitch.com - Mobile Net Switch

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

optikl

James Gockel wrote:
> XP Home and Xp Pro in that department arent any different as far as I
> know...
> You can't have multiple static ip settings in either! But the best option I
> can tell you right now is (1) using hardware profiles (I've never used this
> personally but I assume) you can set up entirely different settings for
> hardware in different hardware profiles. (2) Change your router's setings at
> home to allow your same settings for your work settings. You may have to
> consult your router's manual for this, which most routers don't come with
> good manuals so you may need to go to the manufactures site and see what
> info they can give you.
>
> But try the hardware profiles first, I might try it too, because I have some
> stuff I want to try with different settings for my wireless (and
> bridging)... hmmm. You've made me think of trying somthing.
> -James G.

I doubt it's his router that will care; it's his ISP. I can't imagine
his ISP will have the same DNS as does his work.

He can always change (assuming he has the proper permission to) his
network adapter configuration to obtain his DNS server address
automatically. My company IT folks assign as static DNS address, but for
laptop (mobile users) that's not going to work connecting from outside
the network.

James Gockel

yeah, I overlooked that point.
I forget that you're forced to put the DNS addresses in also when you do
static ips.
-James G.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...