Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows networking site.

Windows networking site.

~misfit~

I have a friend who is having problems getting an XP and a 98 machine to
'talk' to each other using TCP/IP. They took it to the local shop and the
guy at the shop enabled NETBUI. Not what he wanted, he can't ping one
machine from the other although he can sometimes see the drives. He wants to
be able to play a game that requires TCP/IP.

He's just using a crossover cable ATM, I was wondering, could someone point
me to a good windows networking how-to site? I've seen a couple referenced
here but never bookmarked them.

Thank you.
--
~misfit~

froggy

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:02:13 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> I have a friend who is having problems getting an XP and a 98 machine to
> 'talk' to each other using TCP/IP. They took it to the local shop and the
> guy at the shop enabled NETBUI. Not what he wanted, he can't ping one
> machine from the other although he can sometimes see the drives. He wants to
> be able to play a game that requires TCP/IP.
>
> He's just using a crossover cable ATM, I was wondering, could someone point
> me to a good windows networking how-to site? I've seen a couple referenced
> here but never bookmarked them.
>
> Thank you.

not sure if this helps... but...
he needs to check that
1) both computers have tcp/ip installed (very likely)
2) he needs to have both computers using the same subnet mask ( usually
255.255.255.0 or similar)
3)he needs to assign both computers different ips but on the same subnet
(I'd suggest something like 192.168.15.21 for one, and 192.168.15.11 for
the second, although anything in the 192.168.*.* range is ok as long as
the second to last octet is the same on a 255.255.255.0 mask)

****.. I have to look up where to change the damn settings..
ifconfig eth0 doesnt work on windows boxes for some reason
but its properties for the adapter in control panel IIRC
(if ive only added to the confusion plz disregard my post )
oh one thing.. he can check all his settings by typing
ipconfig /all
at a command prompt

David

~misfit~ wrote:
> I have a friend who is having problems getting an XP and a 98 machine to
> 'talk' to each other using TCP/IP. They took it to the local shop and the
> guy at the shop enabled NETBUI. Not what he wanted, he can't ping one
> machine from the other although he can sometimes see the drives. He wants to
> be able to play a game that requires TCP/IP.
>
> He's just using a crossover cable ATM, I was wondering, could someone point
> me to a good windows networking how-to site? I've seen a couple referenced
> here but never bookmarked them.
>
> Thank you.
> --
> ~misfit~

Normally the XP networking wizard does a good job for simple stuff like
that, it will also create an EXE which will fit on a floppy (from
memory) to set up the other (non-XP) machine.

froggy

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:08:00 +1300, froggy wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:02:13 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> I have a friend who is having problems getting an XP and a 98 machine to
>> 'talk' to each other using TCP/IP. They took it to the local shop and the
>> guy at the shop enabled NETBUI. Not what he wanted, he can't ping one
>> machine from the other although he can sometimes see the drives. He wants to
>> be able to play a game that requires TCP/IP.
>>
>> He's just using a crossover cable ATM, I was wondering, could someone point
>> me to a good windows networking how-to site? I've seen a couple referenced
>> here but never bookmarked them.
>>
>> Thank you.

> not sure if this helps... but...
> he needs to check that
> 1) both computers have tcp/ip installed (very likely)
> 2) he needs to have both computers using the same subnet mask ( usually
> 255.255.255.0 or similar)
> 3)he needs to assign both computers different ips but on the same subnet
> (I'd suggest something like 192.168.15.21 for one, and 192.168.15.11 for
> the second, although anything in the 192.168.*.* range is ok as long as
> the second to last octet is the same on a 255.255.255.0 mask)
>
> ****.. I have to look up where to change the damn settings..
> ifconfig eth0 doesnt work on windows boxes for some reason
> but its properties for the adapter in control panel IIRC
> (if ive only added to the confusion plz disregard my post )
> oh one thing.. he can check all his settings by typing
> ipconfig /all
> at a command prompt

just to add further to my little world of confusion
on the 9x machine
(assuming the network adapters' drivers have been installed etc )
right click on the "My Network places" icon
click properties
on the 'Configuration' tab on the window that pops up
double click 'tcp/ip' for the appropriate adapter
on the 'Ip address' tab on the window that pops up
fill in the appropriate values (ip addy, subnet mask )
gateway address isnt necessary
click ok
click ok
reboot (gotta love windows)

im assuming the xp setup is similar ( I dont have a copy of XP here to
double check on )
although I checked on win 2k and its the local area connection icon in my
network places

Steve Marshall

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was wondering, could someone point
>me to a good windows networking how-to site?

http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp
http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html

Adder

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:08:00 +1300, froggy
<(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:02:13 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
> > I have a friend who is having problems getting an XP and a 98 machine to
> > 'talk' to each other using TCP/IP. They took it to the local shop and the
> > guy at the shop enabled NETBUI. Not what he wanted, he can't ping one
> > machine from the other although he can sometimes see the drives. He wants to
> > be able to play a game that requires TCP/IP.
> >
> > He's just using a crossover cable ATM, I was wondering, could someone point
> > me to a good windows networking how-to site? I've seen a couple referenced
> > here but never bookmarked them.
> >
> > Thank you.

> not sure if this helps... but...
> he needs to check that
> 1) both computers have tcp/ip installed (very likely)
> 2) he needs to have both computers using the same subnet mask ( usually
> 255.255.255.0 or similar)
> 3)he needs to assign both computers different ips but on the same subnet
> (I'd suggest something like 192.168.15.21 for one, and 192.168.15.11 for
> the second, although anything in the 192.168.*.* range is ok as long as
> the second to last octet is the same on a 255.255.255.0 mask)
>
> ****.. I have to look up where to change the damn settings..
> ifconfig eth0 doesnt work on windows boxes for some reason
> but its properties for the adapter in control panel IIRC
> (if ive only added to the confusion plz disregard my post )
> oh one thing.. he can check all his settings by typing
> ipconfig /all
> at a command prompt

I have had a 98 and XP box set up together for the past week

basically the XP machine needs to have its own IP address assigned which
goto control panel, select network, select the adapter, Properties,
Select TCP/IP protocol and change the setting to a fixed IP address and
also set the subnet mask (it defaults to 255 255 255 0 which is correct)

Then in the control panel of the XP machine run the network setup wizard
(SP2 has it, not sure if older versioons do) and set the machine name and
workgroup name as appropriate.

The Windows firewall needs to have an exception added for File and Print
Sharing which is normally handled by the above wizard.

The 98 machine requires again an IP address manually assigned to the
TCP/IP --> <NIC> binding, any fierwall such as ZA needs to have the IP
address of the other machine put into the trusted zone.

Once rebooted both machines XP should say it is now connected to the LAN.

~misfit~

Steve Marshall wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I was wondering, could someone point
>> me to a good windows networking how-to site?

> http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp
> http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html

Thanks. I'll pass this on.

Cheers.
--
~misfit~

Peter Huebner

says...
> Steve Marshall wrote:
> > "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I was wondering, could someone point
> >> me to a good windows networking how-to site?

> > http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
> > http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp
> > http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html

> Thanks. I'll pass this on.
>
> Cheers.
> --
> ~misfit~

I was going to recommend www.helmig.com - but I see that that is now
www.wown.com

The advice w.r.t. the WinXP networking wizard, and the floppy it creates
to set up the other machines, is very good advice as far as I am
concerned. You will end up with a dhcp type connection though. You can
then go and change it over to fixed IP on the Win98 machine, if you
want.
Netbios protocol can be useful if you want to do printer and file
sharing - I use it on our home network since it seems more reliable and
quicker than emulating it over tcp/ip. Needs a special install from the
XP CD - it's not automatically copied to the windows directory. Use
tcp/ip for all the other stuff.
Again, as been mentioned: make sure all firewalls know to let
appropriate traffic through. I run Sygate on the XP machine, and I have
_two_ rules for local traffic: I've told it to treat the lan card as
local domain, and I've also created an advanced rule to allow all
traffic and protocols on that mac address. I found otherwise the file
and printer sharing, and tcp/ip would hiccup sometimes.
Also make sure after the initial setup, to remove all unnecessary
bindings (like file sharing on the dialup - WinXP has gotten a lot
smarter about it than 98 was, but I still check).

h.t.h. -P.

~misfit~

Peter Huebner wrote:
> says...
>> Steve Marshall wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
>>> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp
>>> http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html

>> Thanks. I'll pass this on.
>>
>> Cheers.
>> --
>> ~misfit~

> I was going to recommend www.helmig.com - but I see that that is now
> www.wown.com
>
> The advice w.r.t. the WinXP networking wizard, and the floppy it
> creates to set up the other machines, is very good advice as far as I
> am concerned. You will end up with a dhcp type connection though. You
> can then go and change it over to fixed IP on the Win98 machine, if
> you want.
> Netbios protocol can be useful if you want to do printer and file
> sharing - I use it on our home network since it seems more reliable
> and quicker than emulating it over tcp/ip. Needs a special install
> from the XP CD - it's not automatically copied to the windows
> directory. Use tcp/ip for all the other stuff.
> Again, as been mentioned: make sure all firewalls know to let
> appropriate traffic through. I run Sygate on the XP machine, and I
> have _two_ rules for local traffic: I've told it to treat the lan
> card as local domain, and I've also created an advanced rule to allow
> all traffic and protocols on that mac address. I found otherwise the
> file and printer sharing, and tcp/ip would hiccup sometimes.
> Also make sure after the initial setup, to remove all unnecessary
> bindings (like file sharing on the dialup - WinXP has gotten a lot
> smarter about it than 98 was, but I still check).

Cheers Peter, good stuff mate.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Adder wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp
> on Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:08:00 +1300, froggy
> <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
>> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:02:13 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>> I have a friend who is having problems getting an XP and a 98
>>> machine to 'talk' to each other using TCP/IP. They took it to the
>>> local shop and the guy at the shop enabled NETBUI. Not what he
>>> wanted, he can't ping one machine from the other although he can
>>> sometimes see the drives. He wants to be able to play a game that
>>> requires TCP/IP.
>>>
>>> He's just using a crossover cable ATM, I was wondering, could
>>> someone point me to a good windows networking how-to site? I've
>>> seen a couple referenced here but never bookmarked them.
>>>
>>> Thank you.

>> not sure if this helps... but...
>> he needs to check that
>> 1) both computers have tcp/ip installed (very likely)
>> 2) he needs to have both computers using the same subnet mask (
>> usually 255.255.255.0 or similar)
>> 3)he needs to assign both computers different ips but on the same
>> subnet (I'd suggest something like 192.168.15.21 for one, and
>> 192.168.15.11 for the second, although anything in the 192.168.*.*
>> range is ok as long as the second to last octet is the same on a
>> 255.255.255.0 mask)
>>
>> ****.. I have to look up where to change the damn settings..
>> ifconfig eth0 doesnt work on windows boxes for some reason
>> but its properties for the adapter in control panel IIRC
>> (if ive only added to the confusion plz disregard my post )
>> oh one thing.. he can check all his settings by typing
>> ipconfig /all
>> at a command prompt

> I have had a 98 and XP box set up together for the past week
>
> basically the XP machine needs to have its own IP address assigned
> which goto control panel, select network, select the adapter,
> Properties, Advanced
> Select TCP/IP protocol and change the setting to a fixed IP address
> and also set the subnet mask (it defaults to 255 255 255 0 which is
> correct)
>
> Then in the control panel of the XP machine run the network setup
> wizard (SP2 has it, not sure if older versioons do) and set the
> machine name and workgroup name as appropriate.
>
> The Windows firewall needs to have an exception added for File and
> Print Sharing which is normally handled by the above wizard.
>
> The 98 machine requires again an IP address manually assigned to the
> TCP/IP --> <NIC> binding, any fierwall such as ZA needs to have the IP
> address of the other machine put into the trusted zone.
>
> Once rebooted both machines XP should say it is now connected to the
> LAN.

Thanks a lot for this stuff guys. However, it's way over the intended
target's head. Also, I'm unable to physically help him, he's in the US and
I'm not. He's a gaming buddy. I just wanted to be able to point him at a
page and say "Read that!" He's just been ripped off by a local shop for $50
and it still doesn't work.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~