Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Frequent corrupt downloads

Frequent corrupt downloads

Pacific Dragon

I seem to be constantly running into corrupt downloads, about 1 out of
every 6-8 files that I download (2MB+) appears to end up corrupt,
necessitating a re-download (In most cases the file downloads down Okay
on the 2nd attempt). I've noticed this tends to affect .exe installer
files, but suspecting it should not have anything to do with the type of
file downloaded.

Is it actually normal to find that around every 8 files (that is larger
than a few megabytes) downloaded, corrupt? I'm suspecting that it's
probably not.

Is there any diagnostic tests that can be performed on my end, to find
what could be causing corrupt downloads?

Currently the computers are connected to a DynaLink RTA300V ADSL Router
which is flashed with the latest firmware from the Dynalink site. I've
noticed that the same ratio of corrupt downloads seem to be happening
regardless of what computer is used to download files. Computers are
either using Windows 2000 professional or Windows XP home with the
latest service packs and critical patches applied.

Thanks for any pointers.

Pacific Dragon

Pacific Dragon wrote:
> I seem to be constantly running into corrupt downloads, about 1 out of
> every 6-8 files that I download (2MB+) appears to end up corrupt,
> necessitating a re-download (In most cases the file downloads down Okay
> on the 2nd attempt). I've noticed this tends to affect .exe installer
> files, but suspecting it should not have anything to do with the type of
> file downloaded.
>
> Is it actually normal to find that around every 8 files (that is larger
> than a few megabytes) downloaded, corrupt? I'm suspecting that it's
> probably not.
>
> Is there any diagnostic tests that can be performed on my end, to find
> what could be causing corrupt downloads?
>
> Currently the computers are connected to a DynaLink RTA300V ADSL Router
> which is flashed with the latest firmware from the Dynalink site. I've
> noticed that the same ratio of corrupt downloads seem to be happening
> regardless of what computer is used to download files. Computers are
> either using Windows 2000 professional or Windows XP home with the
> latest service packs and critical patches applied.

I Probably should also mentioned that I'm normally using firefox to
download files but it appears to happen regardless of what browser or
Download manager is used to download files.

Gordon

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:40:33 +1300, Pacific Dragon wrote:

> I Probably should also mentioned that I'm normally using firefox to
> download files but it appears to happen regardless of what browser or
> Download manager is used to download files.

Care to throw in your ISP, and geographical location into the mix? Not
that it may be of any use.

David

Pacific Dragon wrote:
> Pacific Dragon wrote:
>
>> I seem to be constantly running into corrupt downloads, about 1 out of
>> every 6-8 files that I download (2MB+) appears to end up corrupt,
>> necessitating a re-download (In most cases the file downloads down
>> Okay on the 2nd attempt). I've noticed this tends to affect .exe
>> installer files, but suspecting it should not have anything to do with
>> the type of file downloaded.
>>
>> Is it actually normal to find that around every 8 files (that is
>> larger than a few megabytes) downloaded, corrupt? I'm suspecting that
>> it's probably not.
>>
>> Is there any diagnostic tests that can be performed on my end, to find
>> what could be causing corrupt downloads?
>>
>> Currently the computers are connected to a DynaLink RTA300V ADSL
>> Router which is flashed with the latest firmware from the Dynalink
>> site. I've noticed that the same ratio of corrupt downloads seem to
>> be happening regardless of what computer is used to download files.
>> Computers are either using Windows 2000 professional or Windows XP
>> home with the latest service packs and critical patches applied.

> I Probably should also mentioned that I'm normally using firefox to
> download files but it appears to happen regardless of what browser or
> Download manager is used to download files.

What happens when you download something using a p2p app that hashes and
checks for corruption as it downloads (eg bittorrent or emule)

Pacific Dragon

Gordon wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:40:33 +1300, Pacific Dragon wrote:
>

>>I Probably should also mentioned that I'm normally using firefox to
>>download files but it appears to happen regardless of what browser or
>>Download manager is used to download files.

> Care to throw in your ISP, and geographical location into the mix? Not
> that it may be of any use.

Currently connected using Jetstream Explorer (256k/bits down and
128k/bits up) 3GB limit through Orcon (non-UBS) and connected via the
Remuera Exchange (Auckland).

The router normally connects at around 4300 Kbps Down and 832Kbps Up.
Here is what is currently displayed in the router's control panel...

--------------
Line Mode T1.413
Line State Show Time
DS Speed 4352 Kbps
US Speed 832 Kbps
DS Latency Interleave
US Latency Interleave
Trellis Coding Enabled
Loss of Signal 0
Line Attenuation 43.5 dB
Loss of Frame 0
Noise Margin 13 dB
CRC Error 1
Line Up Count 1
Error Second 1 seconds
Line Up Time 0:03:18:41
System Up Time 0:03:19:06

--------------

Pacific Dragon

David wrote:

> What happens when you download something using a p2p app that hashes and
> checks for corruption as it downloads (eg bittorrent or emule)

Not sure I have this right, but checking through Azureus, a file that is
about 100MB large will normally have about 200kB's of data discarded.
So far I have only downloaded 3 large (100-200MB) files using bit
torrent, However they have all appeared to come out okay.

-[Myth]-

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:53:22 +1300, Pacific Dragon wrote:

> David wrote:
>>
>> What happens when you download something using a p2p app that hashes and
>> checks for corruption as it downloads (eg bittorrent or emule)

> Not sure I have this right, but checking through Azureus, a file that is
> about 100MB large will normally have about 200kB's of data discarded.
> So far I have only downloaded 3 large (100-200MB) files using bit
> torrent, However they have all appeared to come out okay.

200kB is not out of the ordinary for bittorrent, that data is not only
corrupt data, but data recieved which wasn't needed (because you already
had it from another source)

Corrupt mp3 downloads ODB Firefox 2 03-05-2005 11:00 PM
Only on Bitstream - Corrupt FTP Downloads Steve NZ Computing 4 01-25-2005 11:59 PM
Frequent Disconnections David McKinnon Wireless Networking 13 06-24-2004 08:03 PM

Advertisments