Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Computer turns itself on...?

Computer turns itself on...?

Worm

Hi all,

My computer seems to be turning itself on..! I have recently moved city and
thought perhaps its had a few too many knocks...and the power supply has
gone haywire?

I double click my mouse to turn my computer on...so thought radio
interference could be messing with my wireless mouse???

Any ideas?

Worm

Ferg

"Worm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Any ideas?

Did you set up your computer in a new way? New LAN connection by any chance?

Ferg

Gurble

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:18:49 +1300, "Worm"
<(E-Mail Removed)> had this to say:

>Hi all,
>
>My computer seems to be turning itself on..! I have recently moved city and
>thought perhaps its had a few too many knocks...and the power supply has
>gone haywire?
>
>I double click my mouse to turn my computer on...so thought radio
>interference could be messing with my wireless mouse???
>
>Any ideas?
>

>Worm

Hi, Worm.

Go to Power Management in your BIOS, and disable Wake on LAN, Wake on
Modem Ring, etc, etc.

Basically, everything that is "startup" or "wake" should be disabled.

HTH

E. Scrooge

"Gurble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:18:49 +1300, "Worm"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> had this to say:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >My computer seems to be turning itself on..! I have recently moved city

and
> >thought perhaps its had a few too many knocks...and the power supply has
> >gone haywire?
> >
> >I double click my mouse to turn my computer on...so thought radio
> >interference could be messing with my wireless mouse???
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >

> >Worm
> >

> Hi, Worm.
>
> Go to Power Management in your BIOS, and disable Wake on LAN, Wake on
> Modem Ring, etc, etc.
>
> Basically, everything that is "startup" or "wake" should be disabled.
>
> HTH

Easier to just turn the wall switch off as well. It's not going to start
without power.

E. Scrooge

Gurble

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:59:41 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
(*sling)> had this to say:
>> >I double click my mouse to turn my computer on...so thought radio
>> >interference could be messing with my wireless mouse???
>> >

>> Hi, Worm.
>>
>> Go to Power Management in your BIOS, and disable Wake on LAN, Wake on
>> Modem Ring, etc, etc.
>>
>> Basically, everything that is "startup" or "wake" should be disabled.
>>
>> HTH

>Easier to just turn the wall switch off as well. It's not going to start
>without power.

Whilst that is true, it only addresses the symptoms, not the cause.

E. Scrooge

"Gurble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:59:41 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
> (*sling)> had this to say:
> >> >
> >> Hi, Worm.
> >>
> >> Go to Power Management in your BIOS, and disable Wake on LAN, Wake on
> >> Modem Ring, etc, etc.
> >>
> >> Basically, everything that is "startup" or "wake" should be disabled.
> >>
> >> HTH

> >Easier to just turn the wall switch off as well. It's not going to start
> >without power.
> >

> Whilst that is true, it only addresses the symptoms, not the cause.

The cause is hardly a problem.

E. Scrooge

impossible

>> >Easier to just turn the wall switch off as well. It's not going to
>> >start
>> >without power.
>> >

>> Whilst that is true, it only addresses the symptoms, not the cause.

> The cause is hardly a problem.

???? It's a problem for the OP -- not to mention anyone else who's the
least bit curious.

E. Scrooge

"impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

>>> Whilst that is true, it only addresses the symptoms, not the cause.

>> The cause is hardly a problem.
>>

> ???? It's a problem for the OP -- not to mention anyone else who's the
> least bit curious.

It's a feature of XP. It's not a problem that will do any harm. If it
helps get people into the habit of turning things off at the wall as well,
then all the better. Which is all the OP really has to do when not using
the computer to prevent it from coming back on every time that the phone
rings.

E. Scrooge

Axel

E. Scrooge wrote:
> "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

>>>The cause is hardly a problem.
>>>

>>???? It's a problem for the OP -- not to mention anyone else who's the
>>least bit curious.

> It's a feature of XP. It's not a problem that will do any harm. If it
> helps get people into the habit of turning things off at the wall as well,
> then all the better. Which is all the OP really has to do when not using
> the computer to prevent it from coming back on every time that the phone
> rings.
>
> E. Scrooge

Or change the power on settings in the BIOS

Gurble

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:29:30 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
(*sling)> had this to say:

>"impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

>>> The cause is hardly a problem.
>>>

>> ???? It's a problem for the OP -- not to mention anyone else who's the
>> least bit curious.

>It's a feature of XP. It's not a problem that will do any harm. If it
>helps get people into the habit of turning things off at the wall as well,
>then all the better. Which is all the OP really has to do when not using
>the computer to prevent it from coming back on every time that the phone
>rings.
>
>E. Scrooge

It's not a feature of XP at all. It's a setting in BIOS.

And why should people have to turn their computers off at the wall?
Sure, it is better to do that (power surges, etc, esp when using a
Hyena PSU), but that is a pretty ridiculous statement - "make the
computer do something really annoying to try to get the user to do
something to stop it, which is indirectly a better practice,
anyway"...

Do you turn your dishwasher, microwave, TV and Video off at the wall
when you're not using them? Maybe they should make your TV turn on
randomly when not unplugged from the wall. It wont be a fault, of
course, as it's just to try to convince people to turn it off at the
wall when not in use...