Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > HDD problem

HDD problem

Ferg

The larger of my two HDDs seems to be having a problem.

I am running WinXP SP2

In My Computer I am now seeing an extra HDD. I have two HDDs. The main one
is ntfs and I have my OS on this. The seocnd is Fat32 and I currently have
nothing on this. But I am seeing three HDDs reported. I have not partitioned
either...

The main HDD is being reported as Bad in Partition Magic 8.

The extra HDD is reprted in WinXP as being unformated (RAW). But I can't
format it.

My system is working fine but I am interested in exploring some dual boot
options and this error seems to be screwing that up.

Any ideas. questions?

Ferg

Bok

Ferg wrote:
> The larger of my two HDDs seems to be having a problem.
>
> I am running WinXP SP2
>
> In My Computer I am now seeing an extra HDD. I have two HDDs. The main one
> is ntfs and I have my OS on this. The seocnd is Fat32 and I currently have
> nothing on this. But I am seeing three HDDs reported. I have not partitioned
> either...
> The main HDD is being reported as Bad in Partition Magic 8.
> The extra HDD is reprted in WinXP as being unformated (RAW). But I can't
> format it.
>
> My system is working fine but I am interested in exploring some dual boot
> options and this error seems to be screwing that up.
> Any ideas. questions?

What does it look like in the XP 'Disk Management' tool?

If you bring that up you should see two physical disks: Disk 0 and Disk
1 and overlayed on them any partitions and logical drives.

Ferg

"Bok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:41f17ba4$(E-Mail Removed)...

> What does it look like in the XP 'Disk Management' tool?
>
> If you bring that up you should see two physical disks: Disk 0 and Disk 1
> and overlayed on them any partitions and logical drives.

The exta drive doesn't show in Disk Management. Just has Disk 0 and 1 with
one partition on each...

Ferg

Bok

Ferg wrote:
>>What does it look like in the XP 'Disk Management' tool?
>>
>>If you bring that up you should see two physical disks: Disk 0 and Disk 1
>>and overlayed on them any partitions and logical drives.

> The exta drive doesn't show in Disk Management. Just has Disk 0 and 1 with
> one partition on each...

Where are you seeing this 'phantom drive'?
If it appears in explorer with a drive letter, can you right click and
select properties?
If so what is the drive type and file system?

Ferg

"Bok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:41f185f9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ferg wrote:

> If so what is the drive type and file system?

Local Disk

RAW

Ferg

Mercury

Do you have a usb or dvd-rw drive?

"Ferg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41f185f9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ferg wrote:

>> If so what is the drive type and file system?

> Local Disk
>
> RAW
>
> Ferg

GraB

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:48:40 +1300, "Ferg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The larger of my two HDDs seems to be having a problem.
>
>I am running WinXP SP2
>
>In My Computer I am now seeing an extra HDD. I have two HDDs. The main one
>is ntfs and I have my OS on this. The seocnd is Fat32 and I currently have
>nothing on this. But I am seeing three HDDs reported. I have not partitioned
>either...
>
>The main HDD is being reported as Bad in Partition Magic 8.
>
>The extra HDD is reprted in WinXP as being unformated (RAW). But I can't
>format it.
>
>My system is working fine but I am interested in exploring some dual boot
>options and this error seems to be screwing that up.
>
>Any ideas. questions?
>
>Ferg

I vaguely remember having something like this ages ago, which took
Norton Disk Doctor to fix. Other than that I would suggest redoing
the partition on the second drive.

I have had a drive that when you used the whole amount of the drive
you got that error show up in PM8 (DOS floppy version). For some
reason if I left about 2.5megs free at the end it would be alright.

BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:45:40 +1300, Bok <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ferg wrote:
>>>What does it look like in the XP 'Disk Management' tool?
>>>
>>>If you bring that up you should see two physical disks: Disk 0 and Disk 1
>>>and overlayed on them any partitions and logical drives.

>> The exta drive doesn't show in Disk Management. Just has Disk 0 and 1 with
>> one partition on each...

>Where are you seeing this 'phantom drive'?
>If it appears in explorer with a drive letter, can you right click and
>select properties?
>If so what is the drive type and file system?

PQ Magic will show phantom drives

Ferg

"Mercury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:css3uk$hia$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you have a usb or dvd-rw drive?

I have a dvd-rw drive. What's the story?

Ferg

Ferg

<BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:45:40 +1300, Bok <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> PQ Magic will show phantom drives

PQ Partition Magic shows the whole Disk 0 as bad. All yellow!

Ferg