Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Paradise email problem?

Reply
Thread Tools

Paradise email problem?

 
 
joe_90
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2005
Anyone else having problems receiving emails on Paradise today?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Max Burke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2005
> joe_90 scribbled:

> Anyone else having problems receiving emails on Paradise today?


Not just emails, their homepage server has been down since about 09:00pm
last night....

What with their recent cable outage that took over 12 hours to fix, their
news server failure, it's time for mee to start looking for a more reliable
ISP....

Any suggestions????

--
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
Found Images
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2005
Max Burke wrote:
>
> Any suggestions????


ihug have been great on non-UBS ADSL ,except when the news server borked
just before xmas (whilst I was on holiday so I didn't really notice).


--
EMB
 
Reply With Quote
 
Max Burke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2005
> EMB scribbled:

> Max Burke wrote:


>> Any suggestions????


> ihug have been great on non-UBS ADSL ,except when the news server
> borked just before xmas (whilst I was on holiday so I didn't really
> notice).


I moved from Ihug (several years ago) because they had the same/similar
'reliability' problems (it took them months to fix their news server.) I
only keep my Ihug account running (9.95 mnth) as a backup for
email/testing....

I dont need anything more than a dialup account BTW

--
(E-Mail Removed)
Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
Found Images
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ross Dawson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2005
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:29:03 +1300, joe_90
<joe_90_remove@nospam_myhttpmail.com> wrote:

>Anyone else having problems receiving emails on Paradise today?


Yes, heaps and heaps, also I don't have nearly as much email as I
usually do, lets hope they haven't lost any.

--
Cheers for now

Ross Dawson.
 
Reply With Quote
 
A.D.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2005
Max Burke wrote:
>> joe_90 scribbled:

>
>
>> Anyone else having problems receiving emails on Paradise today?

>
>
> Not just emails, their homepage server has been down since about 09:00pm
> last night....
>
> What with their recent cable outage that took over 12 hours to fix,
> their news server failure, it's time for mee to start looking for a more
> reliable ISP....
>
> Any suggestions????


Ever consider the possibility that no internet provider is 100%
reliable? Everyone seems to have issues with their ISP - Xtra's ****,
Orcon's ****, IHUGs ****, you name it I've heard people complain about it.

I rang paradise help desk and they said that their email server was
targeted by "independent security analysts" which affected server
performance and they took it offline rather than risk a security
compromise. They took the web hosting offline for the same security
reasons. The email server apparently came back online at 3.30pm and
they're in the process of delivering emails, albeit slowly.

A.D.
 
Reply With Quote
 
froggy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2005
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:09:20 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

>> A.D. scribbled:

>
>>> Max Burke wrote:

>
>>>> Anyone else having problems receiving emails on Paradise today?

>>
>>> Not just emails, their homepage server has been down since about
>>> 09:00pm last night....
>>> What with their recent cable outage that took over 12 hours to fix,
>>> their news server failure, it's time for mee to start looking for a
>>> more reliable ISP....
>>> Any suggestions????

>
>> Ever consider the possibility that no internet provider is 100%
>> reliable? Everyone seems to have issues with their ISP - Xtra's ****,
>> Orcon's ****, IHUGs ****, you name it I've heard people complain
>> about it.

>
> They're ALL in the business of providing a 'service't to their *paying*
> customers.
> When they dont do that then they ALL deserve the compliants about their LACK
> of service.....
>
>> I rang paradise help desk and they said that their email server was
>> targeted by "independent security analysts" which affected server
>> performance and they took it offline rather than risk a security
>> compromise. They took the web hosting offline for the same security
>> reasons. The email server apparently came back online at 3.30pm and
>> they're in the process of delivering emails, albeit slowly.

>
> OK so it's not their fault that they're being/been hacked (helpdesk person
> telling me why the homepage server was down) but surely they should be
> protecting their business 'assetts' from such things.....
>
> I wonder what OS their servers are runninng, and how come they're insecure
> enought to require such an action to be taken.....


as its possible to have servers completely up to date (patch wise )and
still have them hacked it may not completely be their fault however.. if
they are aware of the problem.. surely backup servers are available


 
Reply With Quote
 
Max Burke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2005
> A.D. scribbled:

>> Max Burke wrote:


>>> Anyone else having problems receiving emails on Paradise today?

>
>> Not just emails, their homepage server has been down since about
>> 09:00pm last night....
>> What with their recent cable outage that took over 12 hours to fix,
>> their news server failure, it's time for mee to start looking for a
>> more reliable ISP....
>> Any suggestions????


> Ever consider the possibility that no internet provider is 100%
> reliable? Everyone seems to have issues with their ISP - Xtra's ****,
> Orcon's ****, IHUGs ****, you name it I've heard people complain
> about it.


They're ALL in the business of providing a 'service't to their *paying*
customers.
When they dont do that then they ALL deserve the compliants about their LACK
of service.....

> I rang paradise help desk and they said that their email server was
> targeted by "independent security analysts" which affected server
> performance and they took it offline rather than risk a security
> compromise. They took the web hosting offline for the same security
> reasons. The email server apparently came back online at 3.30pm and
> they're in the process of delivering emails, albeit slowly.


OK so it's not their fault that they're being/been hacked (helpdesk person
telling me why the homepage server was down) but surely they should be
protecting their business 'assetts' from such things.....

I wonder what OS their servers are runninng, and how come they're insecure
enought to require such an action to be taken.....

--
(E-Mail Removed)
Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
Found Images
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke

 
Reply With Quote
 
A.D.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2005
>>I wonder what OS their servers are runninng, and how come they're insecure
>>enought to require such an action to be taken.....

>
>
> as its possible to have servers completely up to date (patch wise )and
> still have them hacked it may not completely be their fault however.. if
> they are aware of the problem.. surely backup servers are available
>
>


It's like frost bite, your body sacrifices a few toes for the greater
course and you look a bit silly afterwards.

A.D.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Knox
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2005
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:50:05 +1300, "A.D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Max Burke wrote:

....
>I rang paradise help desk and they said that their email server was
>targeted by "independent security analysts" which affected server
>performance and they took it offline rather than risk a security
>compromise. They took the web hosting offline for the same security
>reasons. The email server apparently came back online at 3.30pm and
>they're in the process of delivering emails, albeit slowly.
>
>A.D.

Why cant they post a message on their web page. Having to ring them to
find out whats wrong just watses everyones time.

I understand things sometimes happen but I like to be informed and
comforted by statements that they are working on it

Bruce.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goofy Paradise email scam Cima NZ Computing 2 07-11-2008 07:39 AM
Is there a current problem with Paradise email? Mark C NZ Computing 4 05-20-2007 04:49 AM
Paradise email servers are stuffed and have been for 2 days thing NZ Computing 4 07-07-2005 05:18 AM
Any Paradise Users having email problems thisisonlyforusenet@yahoo.co.nz NZ Computing 4 05-05-2005 07:43 AM
Paradise email problems may 15th Brett Dale NZ Computing 9 05-16-2004 04:46 AM



Advertisments