Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Online word processing

Online word processing

Trog

K. I want to prepare documents on line. Basiclly Im looking for a kind
of online word processor. something where I can work on a document on
this computer, connect to the site and then where needed work on the
same document from another location on a another computer.

I ahve the flash drive, and I can work on a doc and upload and download
etc from yahoo briefcas or something. But can i do it on line. Or
should I use a blogg and tick the private box.

cheers
p.s. scuse typos. its too friggin hot under this tin roof.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <41ef2cf9$(E-Mail Removed)>, Trog <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I want to prepare documents on line. Basiclly Im looking for a kind
>of online word processor. something where I can work on a document on
>this computer, connect to the site and then where needed work on the
>same document from another location on a another computer.

You could do it via VNC. This gives you remote control of GUI
applications. The Windows version shows you what's on the actual screen,
and does remote control of the physical mouse and keyboard. The Linux
version lets you create one or more virtual screens, each with its own
virtual mouse and keyboard.

>p.s. scuse typos. its too friggin hot under this tin roof.

"Tin roof! Rusty!"
"Come on down to the Love Shack..."

Sorry, came over all B52s there for a moment...

Allistar

Trog wrote:

> K. I want to prepare documents on line. Basiclly Im looking for a kind
> of online word processor. something where I can work on a document on
> this computer, connect to the site and then where needed work on the
> same document from another location on a another computer.
>
> I ahve the flash drive, and I can work on a doc and upload and download
> etc from yahoo briefcas or something. But can i do it on line. Or
> should I use a blogg and tick the private box.
>
> cheers
> p.s. scuse typos. its too friggin hot under this tin roof.

has fast will the connection be? I edit remote documents using the
"fish" (ssh) protocol built into KDE. This is the main wy I design and edit
web pages, remotely to my office PC no matter where I am. It's very simple,
a url like:

fish://someip/home/me/Documents/somepage.php

can be opened in any KDE application and edited as if it were sitting on the
local computer. Works a treat.

Allistar.

AD.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:20:10 +1300, Trog wrote:

> K. I want to prepare documents on line. Basiclly Im looking for a kind
> of online word processor. something where I can work on a document on
> this computer, connect to the site and then where needed work on the same
> document from another location on a another computer.
>
> I ahve the flash drive, and I can work on a doc and upload and download
> etc from yahoo briefcas or something. But can i do it on line. Or should
> I use a blogg and tick the private box.

What do you mean by 'document'?

MS Word file?
Other word processing app file?
Something that generates PDFs?
or just something resembling pages of text?

I suspect because you are considering blogs, that means that you are
looking for pure content authoring rather than whiz bang word processing
stuff.

Some sort of CMS that can output PDFs could be a possibility. Apache
Cocoon based ones could be worth a go eg Daisy, Lenya etc.

--
Cheers
Anton

Trog

AD. wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:20:10 +1300, Trog wrote:
>

>>K. I want to prepare documents on line. Basiclly Im looking for a kind
>>of online word processor. something where I can work on a document on
>>this computer, connect to the site and then where needed work on the same
>>document from another location on a another computer.
>>
>>I ahve the flash drive, and I can work on a doc and upload and download
>>etc from yahoo briefcas or something. But can i do it on line. Or should
>>I use a blogg and tick the private box.

> What do you mean by 'document'?
>
> MS Word file?
> Other word processing app file?
> Something that generates PDFs?
> or just something resembling pages of text?
>
> I suspect because you are considering blogs, that means that you are
> looking for pure content authoring rather than whiz bang word processing
> stuff.
>
> Some sort of CMS that can output PDFs could be a possibility. Apache
> Cocoon based ones could be worth a go eg Daisy, Lenya etc.

Anything really. I just want to do the work and if its plain old text
thats okay as I could cut and paste to a word doc for final formatting.
On the other hand................ if you know of a word file one then
that would be good too.

AD.

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:31:03 +1300, Trog wrote:

> Anything really. I just want to do the work and if its plain old text
> thats okay as I could cut and paste to a word doc for final formatting.

I reckon a Wiki or CMS of some sort could work if you just want to paste
text into a word processor.

Anyway for the technically adventurous with a public server to install
this stuff on, here is a potential more powerful solution:

Use Daisy as a Wiki/CMS that stores XML based content in Cocoon. Add a
doodah to Cocoon that can transform the XML content into the OpenOffice
XML format - hey presto!

Daisy:
http://new.cocoondev.org/daisy/index.html

Cocoon:
http://cocoon.apache.org/

The Cocoon to OpenOffice doodah:
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Xfolio...ficeGeneration

Seriously though, unless you are already familiar with XML, XSLT, Cocoon,
and possibly Java this would not be an easy or quick solution to set up.

Here's a CMS that can import OpenOffice files (but not export as far as I
can tell):

http://farcry.daemon.com.au/index.cfm

--
Cheers
Anton

Trog

Trog wrote:
> K. I want to prepare documents on line. Basiclly Im looking for a kind
> of online word processor. something where I can work on a document on
> this computer, connect to the site and then where needed work on the
> same document from another location on a another computer.
>
> I ahve the flash drive, and I can work on a doc and upload and download
> etc from yahoo briefcas or something. But can i do it on line. Or
> should I use a blogg and tick the private box.
>
> cheers
> p.s. scuse typos. its too friggin hot under this tin roof.

Alls sweet guys. Yahoo notepad does what I need. cheers