Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dell Inspiron - Processor speed?

Dell Inspiron - Processor speed?

ofn01

My partner recently got herself a Dell Inspiron 5160.
It states that it has a 2.8Ghz P4 with HT.
But in the my computer/properties box while it states this it then states
underneath the value "1.84Ghz". Does this mean its underclocked or does this
represent the relative speed against a 'normal' desktop processor??

wogers nemesis

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:20:39 -0000, ofn01 wrote:

> My partner recently got herself a Dell Inspiron 5160.
> It states that it has a 2.8Ghz P4 with HT.
> But in the my computer/properties box while it states this it then states
> underneath the value "1.84Ghz". Does this mean its underclocked or does this
> represent the relative speed against a 'normal' desktop processor??

Sometimes these laptops have a 'feature' were they will underclock if they
are running on batteries/get too hot (??). It is to save power.

Probably something like this is going on:

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...en&s=bsd&cs=04

Warwick

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:20:39 -0000, ofn01 wrote:

> My partner recently got herself a Dell Inspiron 5160.
> It states that it has a 2.8Ghz P4 with HT.
> But in the my computer/properties box while it states this it then states
> underneath the value "1.84Ghz". Does this mean its underclocked or does this
> represent the relative speed against a 'normal' desktop processor??

Check out your BIOS settings. There might be options for FSB and chip
speed.
When I got this machine it was set at the lowest speed by the people that
built it.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

ofn01 wrote:

> My partner recently got herself a Dell Inspiron 5160.
> It states that it has a 2.8Ghz P4 with HT.
> But in the my computer/properties box while it states this it then states
> underneath the value "1.84Ghz". Does this mean its underclocked or does this
> represent the relative speed against a 'normal' desktop processor??

laptops CPU's normally slow themselves down to conserve battery and cut
back on heat production.

Italian Jobs

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:36:45 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ofn01 wrote:
>
>> My partner recently got herself a Dell Inspiron 5160.
>> It states that it has a 2.8Ghz P4 with HT.
>> But in the my computer/properties box while it states this it then states
>> underneath the value "1.84Ghz". Does this mean its underclocked or does this
>> represent the relative speed against a 'normal' desktop processor??

>laptops CPU's normally slow themselves down to conserve battery and cut
>back on heat production.

If you go to the contol panel, then look at power properties.

Fiddle with the settings that suit you.

If you sit on always on or desktop machine you'll get full processor
value.

Laptop setting throttles the whole thing back to save power.

Just fiddle around until you work out what you want.

ofn01

<Italian Jobs> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:36:45 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>ofn01 wrote:
>>
>>> My partner recently got herself a Dell Inspiron 5160.
>>> It states that it has a 2.8Ghz P4 with HT.
>>> But in the my computer/properties box while it states this it then
>>> states
>>> underneath the value "1.84Ghz". Does this mean its underclocked or does
>>> this
>>> represent the relative speed against a 'normal' desktop processor??

>>laptops CPU's normally slow themselves down to conserve battery and cut
>>back on heat production.

> If you go to the contol panel, then look at power properties.
>
> Fiddle with the settings that suit you.
>
> If you sit on always on or desktop machine you'll get full processor
> value.
>
> Laptop setting throttles the whole thing back to save power.
>
> Just fiddle around until you work out what you want.

It is plugged into the AC all the time and I can't find any settings in the
power properties specific to laptop throttling - though the power scheme is
'maximum performance'. Its just wierd that the speed reported in my
computer/properties is 1.84Ghz (has not changed from that).

It says Pentium 4 2.8Ghz 1.84Ghz

ofn01

"wogers nemesis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:10wjg9r9gsg97$.8mg417qfrxdj$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:20:39 -0000, ofn01 wrote:
>
>> My partner recently got herself a Dell Inspiron 5160.
>> It states that it has a 2.8Ghz P4 with HT.
>> But in the my computer/properties box while it states this it then states
>> underneath the value "1.84Ghz". Does this mean its underclocked or does
>> this
>> represent the relative speed against a 'normal' desktop processor??

> Sometimes these laptops have a 'feature' were they will underclock if they
> are running on batteries/get too hot (??). It is to save power.
>
> Probably something like this is going on:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/topi...en&s=bsd&cs=04

Cheers for the link - i'll have to read it in depth and see how it applies
to the Dell we have!

Dave - Dave.net.nz

ofn01 wrote:
>>>laptops CPU's normally slow themselves down to conserve battery and cut
>>>back on heat production.

> It is plugged into the AC all the time and I can't find any settings in the
> power properties specific to laptop throttling - though the power scheme is
> 'maximum performance'. Its just wierd that the speed reported in my
> computer/properties is 1.84Ghz (has not changed from that).
> It says Pentium 4 2.8Ghz 1.84Ghz

Like i said earlier, it may also be heat throttling, it happens when
they put desktop processors into laptops as there is inadequate cooling.

It sounds remarkibly like it is running on a 66MHz bus rather than a
100MHz bus though, which Im not sure they did.

rupert

">
> It is plugged into the AC all the time and I can't find any settings in
> the power properties specific to laptop throttling - though the power
> scheme is 'maximum performance'. Its just wierd that the speed reported in
> my computer/properties is 1.84Ghz (has not changed from that).
>
> It says Pentium 4 2.8Ghz 1.84Ghz

I've got a 5150 with a 3.06Ghz processor - the machine does sit at around
1/2 the processor speed most of the time until it needs to work hard, it's a
feature of the P4 Mobile chip. The bios will allow you to turn the
throttling off, but the flip side is that it always runs at 1/2 speed.

Try playing a dvd or doing some other processor intensive task and then try
look at My Computer->Properties and you should see it running faster

ofn01

"rupert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:csgu0e$rh7$(E-Mail Removed)...

> ">
>> It is plugged into the AC all the time and I can't find any settings in
>> the power properties specific to laptop throttling - though the power
>> scheme is 'maximum performance'. Its just wierd that the speed reported
>> in my computer/properties is 1.84Ghz (has not changed from that).
>>
>> It says Pentium 4 2.8Ghz 1.84Ghz
>>

> I've got a 5150 with a 3.06Ghz processor - the machine does sit at around
> 1/2 the processor speed most of the time until it needs to work hard, it's
> a feature of the P4 Mobile chip. The bios will allow you to turn the
> throttling off, but the flip side is that it always runs at 1/2 speed.
>
> Try playing a dvd or doing some other processor intensive task and then
> try look at My Computer->Properties and you should see it running faster

Yep looks like everyone was right - this was the way to show it though!
It hangs around on exactly 1.84Ghz, but when I played a DVD in the laptop
and checked my computer/properties (as suggested above), it reported back
2.79Ghz - so thats good!

Interestingly with task-manager open though the processor doesn't get much
above 40%. I think the bulk standard 32Mb graphics that come with it
probably slow down the DVD as I didn't think it was quite as smooth as it is
on my desktop.

Cheers for the info though!