Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Gaahhhh! WinXP - file associations for lnk and exe disappeared???

Re: Gaahhhh! WinXP - file associations for lnk and exe disappeared???

Enkidu

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:20:31 +1300, "JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Not sure how this happened but there seems to be some sort of registry
>corruption on a pc here.
>
>It boots up into XP Home SP2 fine, but all desktop shortcuts have reverted
>to a default icon. Clicking on any gives the message that Windows does not
>know how to open a file of type lnk and it asks for the program to open
>these files with (what would that be?)
>
>But it gets worse. If I browse the drive with windows explorer and try to
>open an exe file, Windows reports it does not know how to open files of type
>exe! Again, what is the file association for exe - I would have though none!
>
>Many other file associations seem ok so it appears that not the entire
>registry branch is toast.
>
>I can grovel my way into starting a cmd.exe session, and can run some but
>not all commands from there. However I cannot seem to get regedt32 to start
>from the cmd line (nothing happens - it just goes back to the prompt) and I
>cannot start system restore - windows reports it does not know how to open a
>file of type. I really don't want to use system restore anyway as I believe
>it is out of date.
>
>I have the WinXP firewall enabled and Symantec a/v software enabled on the
>machine with regular scheduled updates so would not expect this to be a
>virus.
>
>Any ideas on how to fix these file associations?

This is typical of a couple of viruses. Are you sure that your
definitions are up to date?

Cheers,

Cliff
--

The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

JohnO

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:20:31 +1300, "JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Not sure how this happened but there seems to be some sort of registry
>>corruption on a pc here.
>>
>>It boots up into XP Home SP2 fine, but all desktop shortcuts have reverted
>>to a default icon. Clicking on any gives the message that Windows does not
>>know how to open a file of type lnk and it asks for the program to open
>>these files with (what would that be?)
>>
>>But it gets worse. If I browse the drive with windows explorer and try to
>>open an exe file, Windows reports it does not know how to open files of
>>type
>>exe! Again, what is the file association for exe - I would have though
>>none!
>>
>>Many other file associations seem ok so it appears that not the entire
>>registry branch is toast.
>>
>>I can grovel my way into starting a cmd.exe session, and can run some but
>>not all commands from there. However I cannot seem to get regedt32 to
>>start
>>from the cmd line (nothing happens - it just goes back to the prompt) and
>>cannot start system restore - windows reports it does not know how to open
>>file of type. I really don't want to use system restore anyway as I
>>believe
>>it is out of date.
>>
>>I have the WinXP firewall enabled and Symantec a/v software enabled on the
>>machine with regular scheduled updates so would not expect this to be a
>>virus.
>>
>>Any ideas on how to fix these file associations?
>>

> This is typical of a couple of viruses. Are you sure that your
> definitions are up to date?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
> --
>
> The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:
>
> http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

Having repaired the registry I've done a full updated symantec and AVG scan
with nothing found. I guess it was just Windoze pooping itself!

.lnk File Association Fix Deb Windows 64bit 5 03-29-2010 10:30 AM
Re: LNk files Michael Nemtsev ASP .Net 0 01-18-2007 09:20 AM
Cant add file associations in Firefox 1.0 for winXP!?!??! wtf??? Idolator#556 Firefox 2 02-05-2005 11:37 PM
how to resolve "error lnk 2001" yanwan C++ 1 12-08-2004 03:23 PM
LNK 2001 error using the cl compiler?? Mary C Programming 2 10-12-2004 07:07 PM

Advertisments