Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Semi-OT: Tuesday Tools

Semi-OT: Tuesday Tools

Briscobar

http://kgbarchiver.sourceforge.net/

WinZip not cutting it anymore? WinRAR not compressing enough? Try this.

Can compress a 430MB MS Office ISO down to 1.4MB....small enough to fit on a
floppy. Of course, it comes with higher hardware requirements, but they
don't look terribly hard to meet. Especially for the technically inclined,
who have better machines than the regular internet scum.

Have not tried it myself, but fully intend to mess around with it.

--
KB

MCNGP #26
www.mcngp.com claims to have seen the Loch Ness monster on several
occasions.

kpg

As Briscobar once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

> http://kgbarchiver.sourceforge.net/

Interesting.

You know, information theory has given us a theoretical limit to how
much compression you can do. I played around with Huffman coding
and it was quite fascinating, to get the most compression, the trick
is to break the input into parts that can be compressed near the
optimal level. WinZip using a 4k sliding window to do this, but if
you take the time to analyze the file completely you should be able
to achieve very good compression. I worte a decent one in QuickBasic
a long time ago - very, very slow but fun.

Jtyc

What's the big deal? I don't need the space.

I use Stacker.

kpg

As Jtyc once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

> # Name resolution details: file://c:\temp\193810.htm (3/28/2006
> 4:47:43 PM) # What's the big deal? I don't need the space.
>

> I use Stacker.

I love(ed) stacker!

kpg

It really quite clever.

Assume you have an ASCII file, count the occurrence of
each character in the file and you end up with a table
showing, for example, you have 217 'e's , 119 'a's and
so on, from most to least. The character that occurs
the most is represented with a binary 01. That takes
up only 2 bits instead of the 8 bits normally occupied
by an 'e". The next most frequent character you represent
with a 011, and so on. You need the leading 0 because
we are throwing away the 8 bit boundary that normally
allows us to understand a file, we need to be able to
tell where one character ends and another starts when its
time to uncompress. So all characters start with a 0 and
contain no zeros internally. After the eighth character
the coding starts taking up more room than the original
eight bits, but that's ok, because there are fewer of them,
also, the sequence of ones can be encoded with a count
instead of the actual ones themselves. Now this type of
compression works best when there are a small number of
repeated characters and they are repeated many times, like
in a text document. When the file is binary, like an exe,
there is a more random distribution of characters, ranging
from 0 to 255,. In that case the file is sectioned off, in
say 4k blocks, so that locally there is a lot of repeated
characters, perhaps long stings of nulls where buffers will
reside. Anyway, there are many tricks to optimize the
compression at the expense of time spent analyzing the file.

I'll stop here because I see you nodding off, and I think
I've sufficiently demonstrated that I'm smarter than you.

Jtyc

Yeah... I don't speak freaky deaky Dutch.

=?Utf-8?B?QnJlYWQtdGVhc2Vy?=

Maan.. Who cares anymore about that zip/rarr crap?
The world of GB and GHz can hold the entire enterprise in a single hard
drive. And if you not awake yet, checkout the iPods in stores near you.
It’s the size of a credit card. and you can download to it up to 60GB of
mcngp crap if you wish

"Briscobar" wrote:

> http://kgbarchiver.sourceforge.net/
>
> WinZip not cutting it anymore? WinRAR not compressing enough? Try this.
>
> Can compress a 430MB MS Office ISO down to 1.4MB....small enough to fit on a
> floppy. Of course, it comes with higher hardware requirements, but they
> don't look terribly hard to meet. Especially for the technically inclined,
> who have better machines than the regular internet scum.
>
> Have not tried it myself, but fully intend to mess around with it.
>
> --
> KB
>
> MCNGP #26
> www.mcngp.com claims to have seen the Loch Ness monster on several
> occasions.

LRM

All gawked in amazement when: Bread-teaser assaulted us with:
<snipped out the uninteresting bits>
> if you wish

Ah ha! So you're the wish granter.
I wish you'd get a real news reader.
--
LRM
MCNGP 7^2

=?Utf-8?B?QnJlYWQtdGVhc2Vy?=

Why would I want real news reader?
I can read your brains without having to downloading it.

--
Bread teaser
The mans rule in life is to think, eat sh$t and sleep

"LRM" wrote:

> All gawked in amazement when: Bread-teaser assaulted us with:
> <snipped out the uninteresting bits>
> > if you wish
> >

> Ah ha! So you're the wish granter.
> I wish you'd get a real news reader.