Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Semi-OT: Tuesday Tools

Semi-OT: Tuesday Tools

Neil

did you hear "Briscobar" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> If you're not kidding, you're rather dumb.

I'm goin with dumb

>It's very true that the
> sizes of hard drives, flash memory, and pretty much any other storage
> device, has risen quite dramatically over the last few years. However,
> if you haven't noticed, so has the size of many files people use on a
> regular basis. Gone are the days when you can store a week's worth of
> documents on a floppy. In fact, my company is outgrowing CDs, and
> we've just purchased 4 DVD writers so that we can keep up with the
> exponential increase in not only file size, but file count.

Once when I was young and stupid like the OP, I actually told someone that
"you'd never need more than a 40Mb HD. Anything beyond that is server
class". Well, I'm in good company. Billy G (although the rumour is
appearently false) was rumored to say the big "640k is enough for the
user", while Ken Olsen (DEC) _IS_ on record as having said "There is no
reason for any individual to have a computer in his home." and Thomas
Watson the Chairman of IBM in 1943 indicated the need for "5 computers
worldwide". The only good guesser so far has be Gordon Moore.

> Also, as
> Neil mentioned,

it is all about me after all

> I am also concerned with drive space due to SQL
> backups.

While our tape library encompasses 11 SDLT drives on a robotic arm, with
online backups competing the backups of 50 servers in under 8 hours (though
online is not a problem for us), I do not consider our data center a large
one, only medium sized. We have however reached our capacity and have been
kicking the tires of a LTO library. My concern is with the additional disk
based SQL backups that I must complete for restoring in development
enviornments and allowing the S&P teams to do thier jobs.

> We backup 5 databases every night to a file server, plus a
> tape drive. The tape gets pulled every night, but the backups on the
> server stay for a week (I guess this is company policy implemented
> years ago by the guy before the guy before me). Lately, we've been
> crunched for space. We can do one of three things: 1) Delete backups
> more frequently. 2) Get a bigger hard drive(s) for the server. 3) Make
> the backups take up less room. Due to the nature of the company, plus
> the owners' tight-wad-ness, we chose option 3.

Since the HP EVO 5000 recommends that you add drives in a set number based
on teh number of shelves and a number divisible by 8 (some other redundancy
thing) the actual number of drives added for a SAN can be a LOT more than
one offs. At a couple of grand a piece for the FC drives it's $50k to play.
Even simple RAID arrays will mean multiple drives must be added to an
enclosure simply to get 1 additional physical disk.

Yeah, disk spaces should never be a concern...

ps, I'm looking at these:

http://www.quest.com/imceda/index.asp

and

http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql_backup/index.htm

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

- There's always one more SOB than you counted on.

Neil

did you hear kpg <(E-Mail Removed)> say in

> As USB flash ram gets bigger (I'm thinking terrabyte in 5 years?) and
> cheaper,(I'm thinking free in a box of cereal) we will switch over to
> that.

SNERT!

So I have this mini-USB hub and 3 thumb drives. Can I turn that into a
RAID-5 array?

(if so I have a ton of floppies, can we work on a REALLY big floppy
array? THINK OF IT! thousands of spindles all working as one...)

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

- An electrical engineer deals with current events.

CBIC

> ps, I'm looking at these:
>
> http://www.quest.com/imceda/index.asp
>
> and
>
> http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql_backup/index.htm

Show off
--
aka
Doom MCNGP #38

Neil

did you hear "CBIC" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:eVeCLF0UGHA.328
@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:

> Show off

So, you've seen me in my trench coat?

um, have you seen LRM? There's something I'd like to show her...

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

- "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build
bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to build
bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." - Rich Cook

kpg

> So I have this mini-USB hub and 3 thumb drives. Can I turn that into a
> RAID-5 array?
>
> (if so I have a ton of floppies, can we work on a REALLY big floppy
> array? THINK OF IT! thousands of spindles all working as one...)

I like it. We have about 20 cases of floppies we don't know what to do
with (i'm talking 5 1/4). Someone suggested wallpaper, which would be cool,
but I like your idea better.

Read an artice the other day from some computer site I can't unsubscribe
from about the security risk introduced my ipods and flash ram. So is
there a group policy that blocks usb ports?

Neil

did you hear "CBIC" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:eVeCLF0UGHA.328
@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:

> http://www.quest.com/imceda/index.asp

actually, having re-read that I realized it was the wrong link. DOH!

http://www.quest.com/litespeed_for_sql_server/

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

- Never let your mind wander, it's too small to be left alone.

kpg

As Neil once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

> While our tape library encompasses 11 SDLT drives on a robotic arm,

That whole robotic arm thing reminds me of 1950's style thinking.
Sure it's cool and all, but having a robotic arm do it because
at one time a human arm did it is not very progressive thinking.

But if at all possible, I would like to go back to the hugh panels
of flashing lights, I like that.

FrisbeeŽ

news:Xns97955CFD845D4ipostthereforeiam@127.0.0.1.. .
> As Neil once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
>
>> While our tape library encompasses 11 SDLT drives on a robotic arm,

> That whole robotic arm thing reminds me of 1950's style thinking.
> Sure it's cool and all, but having a robotic arm do it because
> at one time a human arm did it is not very progressive thinking.
>
> But if at all possible, I would like to go back to the hugh panels
> of flashing lights, I like that.

When I was in college, I had the coolest part-time job. Every weekday after
school I went to this place that made those saw-horse flashing light things
for road construction. They had a mini-computer that backed up with
cartridges that held multiple 8-inch floppies. It was my job to place the
cartridges in for backup, one after another. Took about two hours to
complete, but I seem to remember the job paying for four hours. And it beat
the hell out of fast-food money.

Later, while still in college, I had another job as a computer salesman,
which was kind of cool, too. Selling Commodores (the old Pet models) and
Atari's (the 400 and 800 models). I had color envy, as my computer at the
time was a TRS-80 Model I.

> I like it. We have about 20 cases of floppies we don't know what to
> do with (i'm talking 5 1/4). Someone suggested wallpaper, which would
> be cool, but I like your idea better.

I wish I could lay claim to this thought process, however, it came up in a
SQL 6.5 course back in the late 90's (SQL 6.5 could actaully have a device
on floppy, and since SQL can also have device mirroring, someone asked if
you could have SQL 6.5 devices on floppy that were mirrored. It took a
while to pull my chin back up)

as for the USB array, this is possible
(http://www.wrightthisway.com/Articles/000154.html#more) and I know that
quite a few trainers are using them to demo data continuity features in
Windows and SQL. much easier to yank a USB drive in front of a class to
simulate a drive failure...

> Read an artice the other day from some computer site I can't
> unsubscribe from about the security risk introduced my ipods and flash
> ram. So is there a group policy that blocks usb ports?

not natively in 200/2003 but it will be there (supposedly) in Longhorn.
Have a look at http://www.mcse.ms/archive47-2004-7-912383.html and build
your own adm template.
--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

- Isn't "half-duplex" just an apartment?

Neil

did you hear kpg <(E-Mail Removed)> say in

> That whole robotic arm thing reminds me of 1950's style thinking.
> Sure it's cool and all, but having a robotic arm do it because
> at one time a human arm did it is not very progressive thinking.

this human arm doesn't want to do it at 2 am

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

- Hearing 2 eyewitness accounts of a car accident makes you wonder about
history.