Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Semi-OT: Tuesday Tools

Semi-OT: Tuesday Tools

Neil

did you hear "LRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:eBab75tUGHA.4740
@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl:

> I wish you'd get a real news reader.

I wish you would too

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

- Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Neil

did you hear =?Utf-8?B?QnJlYWQtdGVhc2Vy?=
<(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:3AC61DDE-7B21-482D-

> The world of GB and GHz can hold the entire enterprise in a single hard
> drive.

wow, that's hugely short sighted. As the GB and GHz go up so do data
center costs. Increases in GHz will increase cooling requirements.
Datacenter A/C ain't cheap. As for Gb, most datacenters deal in Tb now
(thanks for playing) so storage still costs money. Personally, I worry
about storage required for SQL backups and have investigated the various
backups compression options. And guess what, those tools are typically
based on things like PKZip and WinZip.

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

- Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

FrisbeeŽ

news:Xns9794A55DF7123ipostthereforeiam@127.0.0.1.. .
> As Briscobar once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
>
>> http://kgbarchiver.sourceforge.net/?wp_ml=0

> Interesting.
>
> You know, information theory has given us a theoretical limit to how
> much compression you can do. I played around with Huffman coding
> and it was quite fascinating, to get the most compression, the trick
> is to break the input into parts that can be compressed near the
> optimal level. WinZip using a 4k sliding window to do this, but if
> you take the time to analyze the file completely you should be able
> to achieve very good compression. I worte a decent one in QuickBasic
> a long time ago - very, very slow but fun.

Small world. About fifteen years ago, I did the same kind of work with PDS.
Ethan Winer was then the president of Crescent Software, and was impressed
with a bug I'd found in his QuickPak software (he provided assembler source
code with his software), and asked me to see what I could do with
compression software. I studied quite a bit, but most samples were in C. I
knew enough C to be able to pick up on it, though. Problem was, he really
wanted the code to be in BASIC, if possible. I was doing LZW stuff, and
while it was quite efficient, it was slow as hell. I'd spend three times as
much time trying to optimize code as time spent doing the original code. I
was even using his own alternate libraries for PDS, which did make it faster
than stock PDS, but still it was unacceptable. I wound up telling him it
would probably never sell unless at least part of it was written in
assembler. I still have the source code for it all.

It was a pretty cool learning experience, at least.

kpg

Observation:

Programs, Operatiing systems, and the data they generate are like
goldfish. They grow to the size of their container...or...er..disk
space.

This message brought to you by the people that make my dual-core
pentium 4GHz run like an 8MHz 8088.

kp "It's the Microsoft way" g

kpg

> Yeah... I don't speak freaky deaky Dutch.

Well good, because Huffman coding actually uses a binary tree,
and the encoding is comprised of zeros and ones that describe
how to traverse the tree to find the encoded character.
Frequent characters are at the top of the tree, which uses the
shortest coding, rare characters at the bottom.

Don't get me started on Run Length Encoding, a very simple yet
surprisingly effective compression technique, especially for
images.

Then there is the loss-full encoding used in jpeg files,
because for photos it doesn't matter if you get a few pixels
wrong.

What about hardware possibilities, like tri-state devices,
bits that can hold three pieces of information instead of
just two.

I'm getting so excited.

Briscobar

Bread-teaser <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:

> Maan.. Who cares anymore about that zip/rarr crap?
> The world of GB and GHz can hold the entire enterprise in a single
> hard drive. And if you not awake yet, checkout the iPods in stores
> near you. It's the size of a credit card. and you can download to it
> up to 60GB of mcngp crap if you wish

If you're not kidding, you're rather dumb. It's very true that the sizes of
hard drives, flash memory, and pretty much any other storage device, has
risen quite dramatically over the last few years. However, if you haven't
noticed, so has the size of many files people use on a regular basis. Gone
are the days when you can store a week's worth of documents on a floppy. In
fact, my company is outgrowing CDs, and we've just purchased 4 DVD writers
so that we can keep up with the exponential increase in not only file size,
but file count. Also, as Neil mentioned, I am also concerned with drive
space due to SQL backups. We backup 5 databases every night to a file
server, plus a tape drive. The tape gets pulled every night, but the backups
on the server stay for a week (I guess this is company policy implemented
years ago by the guy before the guy before me). Lately, we've been crunched
for space. We can do one of three things: 1) Delete backups more frequently.
2) Get a bigger hard drive(s) for the server. 3) Make the backups take up
less room. Due to the nature of the company, plus the owners'
tight-wad-ness, we chose option 3.

Thank you for playing.

--
KB

MCNGP #26
www.mcngp.com iz t3h h0tn3ss

Neil

did you hear kpg <(E-Mail Removed)> say in

> Programs, Operatiing systems, and the data they generate are like
> goldfish. They grow to the size of their container...or...er..disk
> space.

true dat

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

- When cows laugh, does milk come out their noses?

Neil

did you hear kpg <(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:Xns979553256E52ipostthereforeiam@
127.0.0.1:

> I'm getting so excited.

geek

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

- There's always one more SOB than you counted on.

kpg

As Neil once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse

>> I'm getting so excited.

> geek

At last. The recognition I deserve.

kpg

I just now (like 5 min ago) finished setting up our new back-back up
system. We have always done nighly backup on tape of critical files
(about 20GB), using 28 tapes, 14 rotated off site every two weeks..
blah. blah...blah.

What's new is the two 120GB USB drives, copy everything once, the sync
the files that have changed nightly - the whole process takes about 15
min compared to the tapes 3.5 hours, plus we get everything (about 70GB).

As USB flash ram gets bigger (I'm thinking terrabyte in 5 years?) and
cheaper,(I'm thinking free in a box of cereal) we will switch over to
that.

kpg