Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: BSOD

Re: BSOD

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:49:11 +1300, Axle wrote:

> Imagine if someone is sending you morse code via light beam on a wall,
> now imagine if the ambient light on the wall is brighter than the light
> beam.
> Changing the rate that the light flashes will not help

Imagine someone sending you morse code via blue light beam on a wall.

Now imagine if the yellow ambient light on the wall is brighter than the
light beam.

Would you still see the beam?

Divine

--
"Microsoft don't need any moral right to be a hypocrite. It's an oxymoron.
They will do what they can get away with. Of course this makes it difficult

Dave - Dave.net.nz

>>Imagine if someone is sending you morse code via light beam on a wall,
>>now imagine if the ambient light on the wall is brighter than the light
>>beam.
>>Changing the rate that the light flashes will not help

> Imagine someone sending you morse code via blue light beam on a wall.
> Now imagine if the yellow ambient light on the wall is brighter than the
> light beam.

> Would you still see the beam?

depends, blue light is fairly hard to focus on
but if it is the same "colour" you wont, which was the original point.

if standing with your head in a jet engine, you're not going to hear the
guy beside you wispering because of the noise, if he starts to yell at a
different frequency, it isn't going to help, you still wont be able to
hear him.

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is (E-Mail Removed)e

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:22:51 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> depends, blue light is fairly hard to focus on
> but if it is the same "colour" you wont, which was the original point.
>
> if standing with your head in a jet engine, you're not going to hear the
> guy beside you wispering because of the noise, if he starts to yell at a
> different frequency, it isn't going to help, you still wont be able to
> hear him.

But if you make a recording, and then filter out the sound of the jet
engine then you will hear him.

Divine

--
43 - for those who require slightly more than the answer to life, the universe
and everything.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>depends, blue light is fairly hard to focus on
>>but if it is the same "colour" you wont, which was the original point.

>>if standing with your head in a jet engine, you're not going to hear the
>>guy beside you wispering because of the noise, if he starts to yell at a
>>different frequency, it isn't going to help, you still wont be able to
>>hear him.

> But if you make a recording, and then filter out the sound of the jet
> engine then you will hear him.

right, so they should have just shielded(read filtered) the whole stage
from IR...

axel

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:49:11 +1300, Axle wrote:
>
>> Imagine if someone is sending you morse code via light beam on a wall,
>> now imagine if the ambient light on the wall is brighter than the light
>> beam.
>> Changing the rate that the light flashes will not help

> Imagine someone sending you morse code via blue light beam on a wall.
>
> Now imagine if the yellow ambient light on the wall is brighter than the
> light beam.
>
> Would you still see the beam?
>

> Divine

Imagine if all you have is infrared leds and the drop in orbital energy that
releases the photons is a fixed quantity, thus the wavelength of infrared
energy is fixed in the far infrared.
Imagine if what you have to receive the signal is a silicon photodiode with
a broadband response and a coloured plastic filter lens.
Imagine if the ambient infrared is as bright as the ones, how will you see
the zeros.

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:35:10 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> right, so they should have just shielded(read filtered) the whole stage
> from IR...

They could have shielded the sensor from IR light other than from the
direction that Gate's remote would be pointing from.

Divine

--
"What some people have against Open Source Software is what Fundamentalist
Christians or Moslems have against Knowledge."

axel

On 2005-01-19, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:35:10 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>> right, so they should have just shielded(read filtered) the whole stage
>> from IR...

> They could have shielded the sensor from IR light other than from the
> direction that Gate's remote would be pointing from.
>

> Divine

Ah well theres your answer then.

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:53:30 +1300, axel wrote:

> Imagine if all you have is infrared leds and the drop in orbital energy that
> releases the photons is a fixed quantity, thus the wavelength of infrared
> energy is fixed in the far infrared.
> Imagine if what you have to receive the signal is a silicon photodiode with
> a broadband response and a coloured plastic filter lens.
> Imagine if the ambient infrared is as bright as the ones, how will you see
> the zeros.

You won't - and your stupid choice for choosing equipment that was so
indiscriminant/poorly designed!

Divine

--

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>right, so they should have just shielded(read filtered) the whole stage
>>from IR...

> They could have shielded the sensor from IR light other than from the
> direction that Gate's remote would be pointing from.

you win, you care more about this than I do.

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 07:35:05 +0000, axel wrote:

>> They could have shielded the sensor from IR light other than from the
>> direction that Gate's remote would be pointing from.

> Ah well theres your answer then.

IOW, Micro$oft's own failure to take into account what would be happening
around them.

Divine

--
Only two people at Microsoft worked on MS-DOS 1.0. One of them, Chris
Peters, later testified when Seattle Computer Products sued Microsoft

BSOD on wireless PC Ian B Wireless Networking 2 12-13-2005 04:05 AM
Aironet 1200 causing BSOD in XP clients! Bob Cisco 1 11-24-2005 03:04 AM
Foxfire BSOD in Win98SE Moshup Trail Firefox 2 03-12-2005 01:30 PM
BSOD part three Bob Computer Support 3 07-06-2003 12:28 PM
BSOD again.......... Bob Computer Support 2 07-04-2003 02:55 AM

Advertisments