Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Redundant Network Failure - Need Ideas/Solutions

Redundant Network Failure - Need Ideas/Solutions

Matt

This is more of a question about possible solutions to a problem that
we experienced recently.

QUESTIONS:
-Are there any tools/protocols/setup/solutions/equipment/etc that would
have helped my network to either automatically respond or more quickly
respond to network latency on one of my Internet providers that one our
clients uses for inbound connectivity to our location.
-Even if I had the most elaborate routing, multiple ISPs, tools, etc.,
do I still have no control over the inbound connection of my client in
a BGP environment.

CONFIGURATION:
Two Internet providers (1 Tier 1 and 1 Tier 2) setup with BGP on two
2600XM routers taking default routes (the routers are no longer able to
handle full routes).
-Outbound traffic is directed to the Tier 1 network. No outbound load
balancing is done since we are just using default routes.

PROBLEM EXPERIENCED:
-Client A was experiencing latency of 200+ ms and was not able to use
the application.
-troubleshooting was a bit confusing since I saw latency on both
Internet providers but in the end it was just on the Tier 2 provider.
-It was determined that the tier 2 provider was experiencing latency on
one of its edge routers but it did not go down.
-It was determined that client A was using the tier 2 provider for
inbound connectivity which as far as I know can only be chosen by their
provider. Is there is some other way????
-After about 2hr and 15 minutes, I decided to shut down the tier 2
provider to force all connectivity for inbound and outbound through the
tier 1 provider. I only did this after confirming that our other
client would not be affected and as a last resort. This does not seem
to be the best way to go about resolving the issue.
-This brought up the client to acceptable latency.

This was considered a redundancy failure by the client and my company's
management.

Your comments/help are appreciated.

Regards,
Matt

Merv

If you only want to use the tier 2 connection as backup, then
invetigate conditonal route advertisment. Only advertise your network
block when the tier 1's backbone routes( trace routes will reveal the
blocks being used on the tier 1 bb links) is reachable via the router
connected directly to the tier 1.

stephen

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> This is more of a question about possible solutions to a problem that
> we experienced recently.
>
> QUESTIONS:
> -Are there any tools/protocols/setup/solutions/equipment/etc that would
> have helped my network to either automatically respond or more quickly
> respond to network latency on one of my Internet providers that one our
> clients uses for inbound connectivity to our location.
> -Even if I had the most elaborate routing, multiple ISPs, tools, etc.,
> do I still have no control over the inbound connection of my client in
> a BGP environment.

there are a bunch of things like this you can do with object tracking and
policy based routing.

have a look at this for ideas:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0801d862d.html

objects let you alter routing based on ping and other packets sourced from
the router.

we used something like this to influence BGP for a dual link in MPLS where
there were multiple 2M circuits in a load balance group.

--
Regards