Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > whats up with this pagefile?

whats up with this pagefile?

cowboyz

I got given 256 meg RAM for Xmas so put it in this machine which is now
running 768Meg.

I thought for a laugh I would set the pagefile to zero just to see what
would happen.

The pagefile under virtual memory in performance options in system
properties says the min allows is 2MB, recommended is 1150MB and currently
allocated is 0MB.
Fine

CTRL ALT DEL - performance tells me the current Page file is at 382MB

HUH?

Physical memory - 785908
Available - 313220
System Cache - 413340 (these numbers are changing as I type but they are
about right)

So what is up with that?

BTW, I have a few apps running and burning a disc at the moment so the
400+MB Ram in use is not a surprise. Just the 3802MB pagefile when its not
surposed to have one???

Bok

cowboyz wrote:
> CTRL ALT DEL - performance tells me the current Page file is at 382MB
>
> HUH?

Are you running XP and looking at the PF Usage chart?

If so this is a potential misnomer or at least confusing to some. It's
actually more like "potential" Page File usage not actual page file
usage. Take a look at the actual size of the hidden file pagefile.sys in
explorer this will show you the actual size allocated - size can vary
between your configured initial and max size at any time.

In task manager, compare PF Usage MB to the Current value for Total
Commit Charge (K). This is the total committed memory, which could be
accomodated in physical RAM without going to the page file.

Now take a look at peak commit charge, if this is lower than total
physical then you shouldn't be into paging. However, note that the fast
user switching feature in XP does use the page file to roll-out inactive
user pages.

> Physical memory - 785908
> Available - 313220
> System Cache - 413340 (these numbers are changing as I type but they are
> about right)
>

> So what is up with that?
>
> BTW, I have a few apps running and burning a disc at the moment so the
> 400+MB Ram in use is not a surprise. Just the 3802MB pagefile when its not
> surposed to have one???

I don't know whats wrong!!! =?Utf-8?B?S2lt?= Wireless Networking 2 09-08-2005 08:21 AM
whats this error?? Neo VHDL 4 01-31-2005 12:47 PM
Whats happening to my router? Bryan Martin Cisco 5 01-10-2004 01:23 AM
$v = shift OR$_[0] on a filehandle, whats teh difereence Eduard W. Lohmann Perl 1 12-02-2003 06:30 PM
perl 6 syntax ?? whats changed ?? DukeNM Perl 0 12-01-2003 11:00 AM

Advertisments