Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > picture CD

picture CD

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Can these be easily made?

I have ~700 images that I'd like to group and put into a picture CD of
some sort, kinda like how they do it with DVDs, chapters etc... it's all
done in time line, so easily sorted, I just need the software.

I may well even have it, but don't realise.

On Windows I have Nero 6.x at home, some kodak software that came with
my camera, and lord know what else, willing to try anything.

On Linux I have whatever Xandros 2 comes with, and havent looked much
further... although I saw some Lindows/Linspire based software that
seems to do what I want I think(L-photo?)

Anything quick and dirty/easy would do.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> I have ~700 images that I'd like to group and put into a picture CD of
> some sort, kinda like how they do it with DVDs, chapters etc... it's all
> done in time line, so easily sorted, I just need the software.

> On Windows I have Nero 6.x at home, some kodak software that came with
> my camera, and lord know what else, willing to try anything.

Frpom tinkering with an older version of Nero it appears that you can
use this, but have to choose VCD, and do a slide show, but I would have
thought that you could choose picture CD or similar... I'll tinker some
more when I get home.

Collector»NZ

Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 5/01/2005 3:59 p.m.:
> Can these be easily made?
>
> I have ~700 images that I'd like to group and put into a picture CD of
> some sort, kinda like how they do it with DVDs, chapters etc... it's all
> done in time line, so easily sorted, I just need the software.
>
> I may well even have it, but don't realise.
>
> On Windows I have Nero 6.x at home, some kodak software that came with
> my camera, and lord know what else, willing to try anything.
>
> On Linux I have whatever Xandros 2 comes with, and havent looked much
> further... although I saw some Lindows/Linspire based software that
> seems to do what I want I think(L-photo?)
>
> Anything quick and dirty/easy would do.

I am currently looking at Free (as in beer) of the same for DVD, with
not a lot of sucess. For CD i found and used PictureToTV the executeable
was p2tv141.exe at about 4.5M (Demo ware but cracks available)

It worked well creating index pages etc.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Collector»NZ wrote:
>> Can these be easily made?
>> Anything quick and dirty/easy would do.

> I am currently looking at Free (as in beer) of the same for DVD, with
> not a lot of sucess. For CD i found and used PictureToTV the executeable
> was p2tv141.exe at about 4.5M (Demo ware but cracks available)
>
> It worked well creating index pages etc.

found this... kinda interesting.

http://www.re.org/kristin/picturecd.html
Kodak Picture CD images must be in the JPEG format, though they can be
any size and any resolution. Pictures must be stored in a sub-directory
of the disc titled "PICTURES". Data may be stored on the CD at the top
level or in another directory. *Total number of photos possible is
unknown. Kodak Picture CDs and Photo CDs contain only 100 images.*

When you get to burning your CD, it must be in the ISO 9660 format and
the files must not include any Macintosh extention information. CDs may
be burned in either the CD-ROM or CD-ROM XA formats, and multisession
CDs will work at the Picture Maker kiosks.

That's it.

and most if not all DVD players I've seen support "Kodak Photo CDs"

Collector»NZ

Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 5/01/2005 5:06 p.m.:
> Collector»NZ wrote:
>
>>> Can these be easily made?
>>> Anything quick and dirty/easy would do.

>> I am currently looking at Free (as in beer) of the same for DVD, with
>> not a lot of sucess. For CD i found and used PictureToTV the
>> executeable was p2tv141.exe at about 4.5M (Demo ware but cracks
>> available)
>>
>> It worked well creating index pages etc.

> found this... kinda interesting.
>
> http://www.re.org/kristin/picturecd.html
> __________________________________________________ _____________________
> Kodak Picture CD images must be in the JPEG format, though they can be
> any size and any resolution. Pictures must be stored in a sub-directory
> of the disc titled "PICTURES". Data may be stored on the CD at the top
> level or in another directory. *Total number of photos possible is
> unknown. Kodak Picture CDs and Photo CDs contain only 100 images.*
>
> When you get to burning your CD, it must be in the ISO 9660 format and
> the files must not include any Macintosh extention information. CDs may
> be burned in either the CD-ROM or CD-ROM XA formats, and multisession
> CDs will work at the Picture Maker kiosks.
>
> That's it.
> __________________________________________________ _____________________
>
> and most if not all DVD players I've seen support "Kodak Photo CDs"

Except my cruddy old (but well serving) Lenoxx DVD8700. But I hope to
update soon.

The issue is that if you require real portability you have to creat a
VCD stream for the pictures.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups

Dave Taylor

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3413guF46fgpsU1
@individual.net:

> On Windows I have Nero 6.x at home, some kodak software that came with
> my camera, and lord know what else, willing to try anything.

Use the nero plugin for Irfanview.
irfanview and the plugins here:
http://www.irfanview.com/
Once you install the plugin pack, the nero slideshow tool is under File,
slideshow, burn to cd.

Last time I did this, it was very easy.

--
Ciao, Dave

bambam

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3413guF46fgpsU1
@individual.net:

> Can these be easily made?
>
> I have ~700 images that I'd like to group and put into a picture CD of
> some sort, kinda like how they do it with DVDs, chapters etc... it's all
> done in time line, so easily sorted, I just need the software.

Funnily enough this program was mentioned in alt.comp.freeware only
yesterday, looks good-

http://www.nu2.nu/photovcd/

Dave - Dave.net.nz

bambam wrote:
>>I have ~700 images that I'd like to group and put into a picture CD of
>>some sort, kinda like how they do it with DVDs, chapters etc... it's all
>>done in time line, so easily sorted, I just need the software.

> Funnily enough this program was mentioned in alt.comp.freeware only
> yesterday, looks good-
> http://www.nu2.nu/photovcd/

looks like exactly what I'm after... downloading it now.

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)e

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>>> I have ~700 images that I'd like to group and put into a picture CD
>>> of some sort, kinda like how they do it with DVDs, chapters etc...
>>> it's all done in time line, so easily sorted, I just need the software.

>> Funnily enough this program was mentioned in alt.comp.freeware only
>> yesterday, looks good-
>> http://www.nu2.nu/photovcd/

> looks like exactly what I'm after... downloading it now.

well after playing with it for a few mins, it is currently making one
for me... seems good enough that I might just pay for the pro
version.(US$25)

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is (E-Mail Removed)e

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

>>> Funnily enough this program was mentioned in alt.comp.freeware only
>>> yesterday, looks good-
>>> http://www.nu2.nu/photovcd/

>well after playing with it for a few mins, it is currently making one
>for me... seems good enough that I might just pay for the pro
>version.(US$25)

But what kind of quality are you going to get? If it's a VCD, then isn't
it turning your still images into MPEG-1 movies? Or is it a
higher-quality SVCD?