Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Firefox plugins?

Reply
Thread Tools

Firefox plugins?

 
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2005
I have from time to time come across pages where a pop-up says a
plugin needs to be installed, but when I click on it to find plugins
it never finds any. Loading up the same page in Opera will run
whatever. I have Win98SE and MP 6.4 but Windows media won't run in
Firefox. I can make Real run with RealAlternative but not Windows
media. What can I do?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ralph Fox
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2005
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:24:39 +1300, in message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB wrote:

> I have from time to time come across pages where a pop-up says a
> plugin needs to be installed, but when I click on it to find plugins
> it never finds any.


See the links at the top of the page which appears when you enter
aboutlugins
into Firefox's URL bar.

Or simply try these ...

• Popular plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp
• Search for plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/brow..._search_pi.jsp
• Help for installing plug-ins: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/


> Loading up the same page in Opera will run
> whatever. I have Win98SE and MP 6.4 but Windows media won't run in
> Firefox.


For Windows media and Firefox, see these
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#WMP
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=167260


> I can make Real run with RealAlternative but not Windows
> media. What can I do?


--
Cheers,
Ralph

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Man in Yellow Hat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2005
GraB wrote:
> I have from time to time come across pages where a pop-up says a
> plugin needs to be installed, but when I click on it to find plugins
> it never finds any.


I use to have the same problem. If I remember correctly, it was because
I had Firefox set to block installation of programmes... Check your
options.

Options --> Web Features --> Allow websites to install software
 
Reply With Quote
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2005
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:10:35 +1300, Man in Yellow Hat
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>GraB wrote:
>> I have from time to time come across pages where a pop-up says a
>> plugin needs to be installed, but when I click on it to find plugins
>> it never finds any.

>
>I use to have the same problem. If I remember correctly, it was because
>I had Firefox set to block installation of programmes... Check your
>options.
>
>Options --> Web Features --> Allow websites to install software


Off course, that makes sense.
 
Reply With Quote
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005
On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:48:00 +0000, Ralph Fox
<(E-Mail Removed)-echo.invalid> wrote:

>On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:24:39 +1300, in message
><(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB wrote:
>
>> I have from time to time come across pages where a pop-up says a
>> plugin needs to be installed, but when I click on it to find plugins
>> it never finds any.

>
>See the links at the top of the page which appears when you enter
> aboutlugins
>into Firefox's URL bar.
>
>Or simply try these ...
>
> Popular plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp
> Search for plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/brow..._search_pi.jsp
> Help for installing plug-ins: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/
>
>
>> Loading up the same page in Opera will run
>> whatever. I have Win98SE and MP 6.4 but Windows media won't run in
>> Firefox.

>
>For Windows media and Firefox, see these
> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#WMP
> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=167260
>
>
>> I can make Real run with RealAlternative but not Windows
>> media. What can I do?


I reinstalled MP6.4 but still no luck. I won't install any later
version of MP. Why should I? It works fine in Opera so why won't
Firefox run with it?
 
Reply With Quote
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 04:34:11 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:10:35 +1300, Man in Yellow Hat
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>GraB wrote:
>>> I have from time to time come across pages where a pop-up says a
>>> plugin needs to be installed, but when I click on it to find plugins
>>> it never finds any.

>>
>>I use to have the same problem. If I remember correctly, it was because
>>I had Firefox set to block installation of programmes... Check your
>>options.
>>
>>Options --> Web Features --> Allow websites to install software

>
>Off course, that makes sense.


No this doesn't work. It still doesn't find the plugin.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005
GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I can make Real run with RealAlternative but not Windows
> media. What can I do?
>


I have XP, not 98. My problem was similar until I reinstalled windows
media player. I used the installation file that is in my program files
folder.
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Installer\mpsetupxp.exe

I have version 9 and I adjusted the associations to only use wma files
and a few others windows media specific ones. I try to use media player
classic as much as possible myself, but wma streams would not open.
Manually adjusting the associations in firefox wasn't working, so I did
the reinstall. That fixed it. Of course Microsft took over a bunch of
file associations, but I fixed that by going into the settings of Windows
Media Player.

Maybe you could try adding the wmp9 or 10 codec pack only?


--
Ciao, Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
Adder
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on
Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:41:33 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:48:00 +0000, Ralph Fox
> <(E-Mail Removed)-echo.invalid> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:24:39 +1300, in message
> ><(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB wrote:
> >
> >> I have from time to time come across pages where a pop-up says a
> >> plugin needs to be installed, but when I click on it to find plugins
> >> it never finds any.

> >
> >See the links at the top of the page which appears when you enter
> > aboutlugins
> >into Firefox's URL bar.
> >
> >Or simply try these ...
> >
> > Popular plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp
> > Search for plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/brow..._search_pi.jsp
> > Help for installing plug-ins: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/
> >
> >
> >> Loading up the same page in Opera will run
> >> whatever. I have Win98SE and MP 6.4 but Windows media won't run in
> >> Firefox.

> >
> >For Windows media and Firefox, see these
> > http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#WMP
> > http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP
> > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=167260
> >
> >
> >> I can make Real run with RealAlternative but not Windows
> >> media. What can I do?

>
> I reinstalled MP6.4 but still no luck. I won't install any later
> version of MP. Why should I? It works fine in Opera so why won't
> Firefox run with it?


why should you? because later windows media formats are not supported by
WMP 6.4

 
Reply With Quote
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:06:38 +1300, Adder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on
>Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:41:33 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
>> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:48:00 +0000, Ralph Fox
>> <(E-Mail Removed)-echo.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> >On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:24:39 +1300, in message
>> ><(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB wrote:
>> >
>> >> I have from time to time come across pages where a pop-up says a
>> >> plugin needs to be installed, but when I click on it to find plugins
>> >> it never finds any.
>> >
>> >See the links at the top of the page which appears when you enter
>> > aboutlugins
>> >into Firefox's URL bar.
>> >
>> >Or simply try these ...
>> >
>> > Popular plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/plugins.jsp
>> > Search for plug-ins: http://channels.netscape.com/ns/brow..._search_pi.jsp
>> > Help for installing plug-ins: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/
>> >
>> >
>> >> Loading up the same page in Opera will run
>> >> whatever. I have Win98SE and MP 6.4 but Windows media won't run in
>> >> Firefox.
>> >
>> >For Windows media and Firefox, see these
>> > http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#WMP
>> > http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP
>> > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=167260
>> >
>> >
>> >> I can make Real run with RealAlternative but not Windows
>> >> media. What can I do?

>>
>> I reinstalled MP6.4 but still no luck. I won't install any later
>> version of MP. Why should I? It works fine in Opera so why won't
>> Firefox run with it?

>
>why should you? because later windows media formats are not supported by
>WMP 6.4
>

That seems to only be wmv v9. And that isn't worth bothering about.
I had MP9 installed for about an hour recently before I took it off
again.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ralph Fox
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2005
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:41:33 +1300, in message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB wrote:

> I reinstalled MP6.4 but still no luck. I won't install any later
> version of MP. Why should I? It works fine in Opera so why won't
> Firefox run with it?



OK, so you have WMP version 6.4, and not a later version (e.g. those
Firefox help links were for WMP version 7.1 or later).


1. Go look in Firefox's plugins directory "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins".

Is the WMP 6.4 plugin DLL file "npdsplay.dll" in that directory?

If not, can you copy the file "npdsplay.dll" from another
directory, e.g. the Netscape 4 plugins directory
"C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\Plugins"
or the equivalent Opera plugins directory?


2. enter
aboutlugins
into Firefox's URL bar.

Does the list of plugins which appears, include this?

| Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library
|
| File name: C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOZILLA FIREFOX\plugins\npdsplay.dll
| Npdsplay dll
|
| MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
| --------------------- ----------- -------- -------
| application/asx Media Files * Yes
| video/x-ms-asf-plugin Media Files * Yes
| application/x-mplayer2 Media Files * Yes


--
Cheers,
Ralph

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ns.html#before

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can Firefox 1.5 be installed along side Firefox 1.0.6? Zygon Curry Firefox 6 09-14-2005 11:28 AM
Firefox/Linux import bookmarks from Firefox/Windows? Marek Williams Firefox 2 06-11-2005 04:22 PM
Yahoo! Toolbar Beta for Firefox - Not Compatible with Firefox 1.0.2? NA Firefox 6 04-02-2005 06:13 PM
Firefox gamed - Drudge getting around Firefox popup blocker Venger Firefox 10 12-22-2004 04:37 AM
so what does IE or any of the IE shells have over firefox ? (any anti firefox ppl bother looking at recent plugins available?) *ProteanThread* Firefox 12 10-20-2004 08:31 AM



Advertisments