Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > slingshot spoof?

slingshot spoof?

roy

anyone else recently receive something similar to this from slingshot?

Slingshot's new dial-up number is 0873 08880. This means you now need
to update the settings on your computer to connect to the Internet
with Slingshot.

the number authenticates (or accepts any logon) but does little
else.....

Man in Yellow Hat

roy wrote:
> the number authenticates (or accepts any logon) but does little
> else.....

Been working for me OK for the last week...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
roy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>anyone else recently receive something similar to this from slingshot?
>
>Slingshot's new dial-up number is 0873 08880. This means you now need
>to update the settings on your computer to connect to the Internet
>with Slingshot.
>

>the number authenticates (or accepts any logon) but does little
>else.....

Yes, a friend of mine got that too. I didn't see any other obvious
indicators of illegitimacy, but it didn't work, so I put him back on the
old number.

Richard Hector

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:28:50 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> roy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>anyone else recently receive something similar to this from slingshot?
>>
>>Slingshot's new dial-up number is 0873 08880. This means you now need
>>to update the settings on your computer to connect to the Internet
>>with Slingshot.
>>

>>the number authenticates (or accepts any logon) but does little
>>else.....

> Yes, a friend of mine got that too. I didn't see any other obvious
> indicators of illegitimacy, but it didn't work, so I put him back on the
> old number.

And changed the login password, presumably? Sounds like a nifty trick for
grabbing passwords, if it is bogus. Though you'd presumably have to jump
through a couple of hoops to get an 0873 number.

Richard

roy

yep told the s/s help desk last week, its still not working from
hamilton, on the new service, tried tonight. using the same config,
except the original number (08678888 works fine. tried the linux
box also, same story.

http, nntp, pop/smtp all time out even when using ip addresses.

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:22:45 -0500, rjj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is not a spoof. Slingshot are indeed changing their dialup number
>to 0873 08880. If this number is not working for you then you should
>contact the Slingshot helpdesk. The old 0867 number is being phased out
>over the coming weeks. You should also receive better speeds and
>service on the new number (especially in more rural areas), so you
>should follow the instructions.
>
>What region did you dial from when you tried to dialup using the 0873
>08880 number?

rjj

roy wrote:
> anyone else recently receive something similar to this from slingshot?
>
> Slingshot's new dial-up number is 0873 08880. This means you now need
> to update the settings on your computer to connect to the Internet
> with Slingshot.
>

> the number authenticates (or accepts any logon) but does little
> else.....

This is not a spoof. Slingshot are indeed changing their dialup number
to 0873 08880. If this number is not working for you then you should
contact the Slingshot helpdesk. The old 0867 number is being phased out
over the coming weeks. You should also receive better speeds and
service on the new number (especially in more rural areas), so you
should follow the instructions.

What region did you dial from when you tried to dialup using the 0873
08880 number?

Slingshot sucks Jamie Kahn Genet NZ Computing 29 01-23-2011 01:42 AM
Slingshot as ISP Markus Winter NZ Computing 3 10-08-2003 09:44 PM
Slingshot as ISP? Or another flat-rate one? Markus Winter NZ Computing 2 10-05-2003 09:40 AM
Slingshot Victor Tonkin NZ Computing 0 09-08-2003 07:34 AM
Slingshot international access down? art NZ Computing 1 08-30-2003 12:43 PM

Advertisments