Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Photo printer.

Photo printer.

nrennie

Hi,

We want to buy a dedicated photo printer for the family to use.

Any recommendations? What's good, what's not.

Good shops to deal with?

Good websites for info?

We're all pretty new to this so any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Chris Hope

nrennie wrote:

> We want to buy a dedicated photo printer for the family to use.
>
> Any recommendations? What's good, what's not.
>
> Good shops to deal with?
>
> Good websites for info?
>
> We're all pretty new to this so any help much appreciated.

I bought a Canon IP3000 about a month back. I was blown away by the
quality of the pics from a $250 printer. Even printing on the not-so-
glossy cheap DSE paper has been excellent (something like $15 for 50
sheets - there's also HP paper for something $20 for 100 and it looks
to be the same sort of quality). I'm not sure how many pics you can get
out of the ink but so far I've done about 40 photos and about 50 cds
and the levels don't seem to have gone down at all.

BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:29:55 +1300, Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>nrennie wrote:
>
>> We want to buy a dedicated photo printer for the family to use.
>>
>> Any recommendations? What's good, what's not.
>>
>> Good shops to deal with?
>>
>> Good websites for info?
>>
>> We're all pretty new to this so any help much appreciated.

>I bought a Canon IP3000 about a month back. I was blown away by the
>quality of the pics from a $250 printer. Even printing on the not-so-
>glossy cheap DSE paper has been excellent (something like $15 for 50
>sheets - there's also HP paper for something $20 for 100 and it looks
>to be the same sort of quality). I'm not sure how many pics you can get
>out of the ink but so far I've done about 40 photos and about 50 cds
>and the levels don't seem to have gone down at all.

The EPSON R210 is far far better..

Mark

>>I bought a Canon IP3000 about a month back. I was blown away by the
>>quality of the pics from a $250 printer. Even printing on the not-so-
>>glossy cheap DSE paper has been excellent (something like $15 for 50
>>sheets - there's also HP paper for something $20 for 100 and it looks
>>to be the same sort of quality). I'm not sure how many pics you can get
>>out of the ink but so far I've done about 40 photos and about 50 cds
>>and the levels don't seem to have gone down at all.

>The EPSON R210 is far far better..

Why?, saying something and not backing it with evidence up seems
pointless?

wogers nemesis

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 19:06:57 +1300, nrennie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We want to buy a dedicated photo printer for the family to use.
>
> Any recommendations? What's good, what's not.
>
> Good shops to deal with?
>
> Good websites for info?
>
> We're all pretty new to this so any help much appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Nick

well if you are looking at hign-end then Tom's Hardware has a review

http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer...229/index.html

BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:07:30 +1300, Mark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>I bought a Canon IP3000 about a month back. I was blown away by the
>>>quality of the pics from a $250 printer. Even printing on the not-so-
>>>glossy cheap DSE paper has been excellent (something like $15 for 50
>>>sheets - there's also HP paper for something $20 for 100 and it looks
>>>to be the same sort of quality). I'm not sure how many pics you can get
>>>out of the ink but so far I've done about 40 photos and about 50 cds
>>>and the levels don't seem to have gone down at all.

>>The EPSON R210 is far far better..
>>

>Why?, saying something and not backing it with evidence up seems
>pointless?

Has 6 colours for one thing a better life ink..

MarkH

BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:07:30 +1300, Mark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>>The EPSON R210 is far far better..
>>>

>>Why?, saying something and not backing it with evidence up seems
>>pointless?

> Has 6 colours for one thing a better life ink..

So does that mean that any printer with 7 or more colours is better again?

How do you know that the ink life is an important consideration? Some
people might be happy to reprint if the photo starts fading after 5 years.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)

Henry Falkner

"wogers nemesis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 19:06:57 +1300, nrennie wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> We want to buy a dedicated photo printer for the family to use.
>> Any recommendations? What's good, what's not.
>> Good shops to deal with?
>> Good websites for info?
>>
>> Nick

> well if you are looking at hign-end then Tom's Hardware has a review
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer...229/index.html

I have not looked at the link. I have found cause to disagree with reviews
in PC World New Zealand and other magazines. Some reviews appear to be
written by people who do not use the stuff they review for themselves on a
regular basis.

I started using Canon printers, because they had the first colour inkjet
printer that I could afford.

I remained with them, because the print-heads are a user replaceable part.
You buy the ink cartridges complete with head, or alone as inserts. A
clogged print-head therefore does not need going to a service department.

I now use the (discontinued) Canon S4500, which does support 6 ink
cartridges. Although I am printing mostly photographs, I have gone back to
four colours: Black, cyan, magenta, yellow. The greatest variation in the
quality of my photos is due to the camera original and how I have processed
it. The fact that it became difficult very quickly to get the dedicated
photo-ink cartridges (replacing the black cartridge) suggests to me that
other people have had the same experience.

The Canon BJC-7100 is the only printer I own that died while I still had a
use for it. Its inks are not water based, and the fumes from them corrode
the internals of the machine. The ink sets for the S4500, and thereafter to
my knowledge, are water based. They have better fade- and water resistance
(after they have dried) than ink sets that I have used before them.

But according to fade tests I have done, you still have to expect fading
after a month of leaving prints in a sun-facing window.

Henry

Collector»NZ

Henry Falkner said the following on 5/01/2005 9:46 a.m.:

> "wogers nemesis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 19:06:57 +1300, nrennie wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> We want to buy a dedicated photo printer for the family to use.
>>> Any recommendations? What's good, what's not.
>>> Good shops to deal with?
>>> Good websites for info?
>>>
>>> Nick

>> well if you are looking at hign-end then Tom's Hardware has a review
>>
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer...229/index.html

> I have not looked at the link. I have found cause to disagree with
> reviews in PC World New Zealand and other magazines. Some reviews appear
> to be written by people who do not use the stuff they review for
> themselves on a regular basis.

--snipped

> But according to fade tests I have done, you still have to expect fading
> after a month of leaving prints in a sun-facing window.
>
> Henry

I love Canon Printers having an S400 that has done great service. The
S400 is CMYK and when using the Photo paper and ink produces great
photos. I have two A4 prints on the wall in fully sunlight (directly by
window where the sun shines on them) they have been there for three
years and no fade at all. The right paper and ink makes them very UV stable!

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups

BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:00:12 +1300, Collector»NZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Henry Falkner said the following on 5/01/2005 9:46 a.m.:
>>
>> "wogers nemesis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> well if you are looking at hign-end then Tom's Hardware has a review
>>>
>>> http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer...229/index.html

>> I have not looked at the link. I have found cause to disagree with
>> reviews in PC World New Zealand and other magazines. Some reviews appear
>> to be written by people who do not use the stuff they review for
>> themselves on a regular basis.

>--snipped
>>
>> But according to fade tests I have done, you still have to expect fading
>> after a month of leaving prints in a sun-facing window.
>>
>> Henry
>>

>I love Canon Printers having an S400 that has done great service. The
>S400 is CMYK and when using the Photo paper and ink produces great
>photos. I have two A4 prints on the wall in fully sunlight (directly by
>window where the sun shines on them) they have been there for three
>years and no fade at all. The right paper and ink makes them very UV stable!

Canon are the worse for print life out of most of the Ink Jet printers..

Go read in the Printer News group.