Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > AVG7 fails to install. Help Please

AVG7 fails to install. Help Please

Snoopy

I got an error message saying that I needed Internet Explorer 5.01 or
Microsoft Office 2000 on my machine before I could install AVG7.0.

I have an old computer so I don't want to install IE5.01 for fear of
slowing the thing dramatically. I have even refused to put IE4.0 on
there. I might contemplate installing Office 2000 except that I don't
need any of the new features that have come in since Office 97.

The AVG instructions are very unclear as to what is missing on my
system. However, given that either 'IE5.01' OR 'Office 2000' will
fix my problem I am guessing there is a file or files that is supplied
in both of these installations that will fix my problem that AVG are
not telling me about. How can I trace what the missing files are?

TIA

SNOOPY

--
Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more

Italian Jobs

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:53:09 +1300, (Snoopy) te**yson@caverock.*et.*z
(*is n) wrote:

>I got an error message saying that I needed Internet Explorer 5.01 or
>Microsoft Office 2000 on my machine before I could install AVG7.0.
>
>I have an old computer so I don't want to install IE5.01 for fear of
>slowing the thing dramatically. I have even refused to put IE4.0 on
>there. I might contemplate installing Office 2000 except that I don't
>need any of the new features that have come in since Office 97.

You don't need AV - afterall you are will

Italian Jobs

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:01:45 +1300, Italian Jobs <> wrote:

>On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:53:09 +1300, (Snoopy) te**yson@caverock.*et.*z
>(*is n) wrote:
>

>>I got an error message saying that I needed Internet Explorer 5.01 or
>>Microsoft Office 2000 on my machine before I could install AVG7.0.
>>
>>I have an old computer so I don't want to install IE5.01 for fear of
>>slowing the thing dramatically. I have even refused to put IE4.0 on
>>there. I might contemplate installing Office 2000 except that I don't
>>need any of the new features that have come in since Office 97.

>You don't need AV - afterall you are will

Bugger

meant to say if you're not willing to upgrade to the higher security
offered by later versions of IE, then AV protection is going to only
manage one side of the problem.

You are using Firefox aren't you? Or another modern browser. Or are
you the lone Netscape4 user that I see in my weblogs?

Snoopy

(*is n) wrote:

>Given that either 'IE5.01' OR 'Office 2000' will
>fix my problem I am guessing there is a file or files that is supplied
>in both of these installations that will fix my problem that AVG are
>not telling me about. How can I trace what the missing files are?

In answer to my question.

1/ Get a list of all the files that make up an 'MS IE5.01' 'minimum
installation'.
2/ Get a list of all the files that make up 'MS Office 2000' 'minimum
installation'
3/ Find the files common on each list
4/ Install them individually and manually.

My sticking point is a steps 1/ and 2/. How do I get these file
lists?

SNOOPY

--

(*is n) wrote:

>However, given that either 'IE5.01' OR 'Office 2000' will
>fix my problem I am guessing there is a file or files that is supplied
>in both of these installations that will fix my problem that AVG are
>not telling me about. How can I trace what the missing files are?

To answer my own question again.

1/ Find someone who already has a copy of AVG7 installed and working
and also a copy of a program operational analyzer , like 'dependency
walker installed'.
2/ Operate AVG7 via Dependency Walker and use it to make a list of
the DLLs called.
3/ Take that list and compare it to the DLLs that are present on my
existing system.

However, again I am stopped at step 1. I don't know anyone who has
both 'dependency walke'r and AVG7.0 operating together.

SNOOPY

--

(*is n) wrote:

>I got an error message saying that I needed Internet Explorer 5.01 or
>Microsoft Office 2000 on my machine before I could install AVG7.0.

I have never had this situation before, where the installation program
refuses to install the software. I think that if I could get AVG7
installed then I could get it to work.

I have already done this with the 'K-meleon' browser which said that
it needed IE5 to be able to operate. This was not true as with the
addition of a couple of missing DLLs I was able to get it working
without IE5.

My problem here is that there might be something in the 'smart
installer' of AVG7 that tells it that IE5 is not on my computer. A
missing key in the registry perhaps? Could I add an entry into my
registry, a simple label perhaps, that will fool this installer into
thinking that I have IE5?

If so what is it and where should I put it?

SNOOPY

--
Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more
details

PseUDO

Snoopy *is n wrote:
> I got an error message saying that I needed Internet Explorer 5.01 or
> Microsoft Office 2000 on my machine before I could install AVG7.0.
>
> I have an old computer so I don't want to install IE5.01 for fear of
> slowing the thing dramatically. I have even refused to put IE4.0 on
> there. I might contemplate installing Office 2000 except that I don't
> need any of the new features that have come in since Office 97.
>
> The AVG instructions are very unclear as to what is missing on my
> system. However, given that either 'IE5.01' OR 'Office 2000' will
> fix my problem I am guessing there is a file or files that is supplied
> in both of these installations that will fix my problem that AVG are
> not telling me about. How can I trace what the missing files are?
>
> TIA
>
> SNOOPY

When you install AVG 7 it asks you to register the product online via
their website, so if you haven't got IE, im guessing that it halts the
install since it see's that you haven't got any way to register,even
though their is an option to not register the product,since it only
gives you access to fourms, etc.

So you may be out of luck.

PseUDO

Axle

Snoopy *is n wrote:

> If I can't make AVG7 work work on the system I have largely
> unmodified, then I will abandon AVG.

Try Antivir
http://www.free-av.com/

Snoopy

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:04:02 +1300, Italian Jobs <> wrote:

>On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 11:01:45 +1300, Italian Jobs <> wrote:
>

>meant to say if you're not willing to upgrade to the higher security
>offered by later versions of IE, then AV protection is going to only
>manage one side of the problem.

I don't really want to turn this into a philisophical debate.

I already know what I need to do to solve this problem, as outlined in
my first three supplementary posts. It is just that I lack the
resources to carry off these solutions at the moment. That is why I
am appealing for help.

My main contribution to internet security, on a personal level, has
been to make sure Microsoft Outlook is not installed on my computer in
any form, and that no Windows address book exists.

I do not leave my computer connected to the internet unattended.

I always supervise anyone else who uses this machine.

I always keep my virus checker up to date

Granted these measures won't solve all potential problems, but even so
I believe muy computer is operated in a more secure manner than 80% of
the Windows XP systems out there. I know that crippling my computer
with bloatware will cause it to become unusable so that 'solution' you
have put forward of blindly upgrading is not acceptable to me.

If I can't make AVG7 work work on the system I have largely
unmodified, then I will abandon AVG.

>You are using Firefox aren't you? Or another modern browser. Or are
>you the lone Netscape4 user that I see in my weblogs?

I use K-meleon aka a cut down Mozilla.

SNOOPY

--
Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more
details

Steve Marshall

> I am guessing there is a file or files that is supplied
>in both of these installations that will fix my problem that AVG are
>not telling me about. How can I trace what the missing files are?

Have you looked through the installation section of Grisoft's AVG FAQ?

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5/lng/us/tpl/v5

Specifically:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5491/lng/us/tpl/v5

cheers