Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Networking XP MCE and XP HE

Networking XP MCE and XP HE

Dsquared

I am setting up a network for my father-in-law. He has an e-machines desktop
running MCE, and a Compaq laptop running HE. The desktop is connected to FIOS
via LinkSys WRT54GS wireless router (lan). The laptop connects via integrated
wireless card thru the router. I can connect the laptop to the internet, no
problem. After running the home office setup, I can see the laptop from the
desktop, and access shared folders and files. But I cannot see the folders
and printers connected to the desktop. I have enabled file & printer sharing,
enabled firewalls to allownetwork traffic, and the desktop is set to SFS.

I connected the laptop to my home network with no problems (HE desktop
connectet via lan to D-Link wireless router; another HE desktop connected
with a LinkSys USB wireless adapter: and a HE laptop connected via integrated
adapter). I am able to add printers, see all files and folders, etc etc etc.

If there is any other info needed, let me know. I will happily share! I have
a funny feeling this has something to do with the MCE of XP, as I brought my
laptop and connected to the network with the same results. Only differenceis
the two laptops were able to "see" each other fine.

Lem

Dsquared wrote:
> I am setting up a network for my father-in-law. He has an e-machines desktop
> running MCE, and a Compaq laptop running HE. The desktop is connected to FIOS
> via LinkSys WRT54GS wireless router (lan). The laptop connects via integrated
> wireless card thru the router. I can connect the laptop to the internet, no
> problem. After running the home office setup, I can see the laptop from the
> desktop, and access shared folders and files. But I cannot see the folders
> and printers connected to the desktop. I have enabled file & printer sharing,
> enabled firewalls to allownetwork traffic, and the desktop is set to SFS.
>
> I connected the laptop to my home network with no problems (HE desktop
> connectet via lan to D-Link wireless router; another HE desktop connected
> with a LinkSys USB wireless adapter: and a HE laptop connected via integrated
> adapter). I am able to add printers, see all files and folders, etc etc etc.
>
> If there is any other info needed, let me know. I will happily share! I have
> a funny feeling this has something to do with the MCE of XP, as I brought my
> laptop and connected to the network with the same results. Only differenceis
> the two laptops were able to "see" each other fine.

I know that you wrote that you had set your firewalls to allow network
traffic, but double-check the desktop to make sure that whatever
antivirus application is running does not *also* have a firewall (Norton
a/v, for example, has something called "Internet Worm Protection" that
is, in fact, a firewall).

Also check the list of running processes in Task Manager -- there may be
a secondary firewall running that you were not aware of. If this is the
case, you'll want to disable all but one firewall.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

Dsquared

Excellent advice!! Desktop has McAfee security center provided by msn.
Shecked the settings and found a "network" tab. Told it to trust network, and
everything fell into place!!!

Thanks a million!!

"Lem" wrote:

> Dsquared wrote:
> > I am setting up a network for my father-in-law. He has an e-machines desktop
> > running MCE, and a Compaq laptop running HE. The desktop is connected to FIOS
> > via LinkSys WRT54GS wireless router (lan). The laptop connects via integrated
> > wireless card thru the router. I can connect the laptop to the internet, no
> > problem. After running the home office setup, I can see the laptop from the
> > desktop, and access shared folders and files. But I cannot see the folders
> > and printers connected to the desktop. I have enabled file & printer sharing,
> > enabled firewalls to allownetwork traffic, and the desktop is set to SFS.
> >
> > I connected the laptop to my home network with no problems (HE desktop
> > connectet via lan to D-Link wireless router; another HE desktop connected
> > with a LinkSys USB wireless adapter: and a HE laptop connected via integrated
> > adapter). I am able to add printers, see all files and folders, etc etc etc.
> >
> > If there is any other info needed, let me know. I will happily share! I have
> > a funny feeling this has something to do with the MCE of XP, as I brought my
> > laptop and connected to the network with the same results. Only differenceis
> > the two laptops were able to "see" each other fine.

> I know that you wrote that you had set your firewalls to allow network
> traffic, but double-check the desktop to make sure that whatever
> antivirus application is running does not *also* have a firewall (Norton
> a/v, for example, has something called "Internet Worm Protection" that
> is, in fact, a firewall).
>
> Also check the list of running processes in Task Manager -- there may be
> a secondary firewall running that you were not aware of. If this is the
> case, you'll want to disable all but one firewall.
>
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

Lem

Dsquared wrote:
> Excellent advice!! Desktop has McAfee security center provided by msn.
> Shecked the settings and found a "network" tab. Told it to trust network, and
> everything fell into place!!!
>
> Thanks a million!!
>
> "Lem" wrote:
>
>> Dsquared wrote:
>>> I am setting up a network for my father-in-law. He has an e-machines desktop
>>> running MCE, and a Compaq laptop running HE. The desktop is connected to FIOS
>>> via LinkSys WRT54GS wireless router (lan). The laptop connects via integrated
>>> wireless card thru the router. I can connect the laptop to the internet, no
>>> problem. After running the home office setup, I can see the laptop from the
>>> desktop, and access shared folders and files. But I cannot see the folders
>>> and printers connected to the desktop. I have enabled file & printer sharing,
>>> enabled firewalls to allownetwork traffic, and the desktop is set to SFS.
>>>
>>> I connected the laptop to my home network with no problems (HE desktop
>>> connectet via lan to D-Link wireless router; another HE desktop connected
>>> with a LinkSys USB wireless adapter: and a HE laptop connected via integrated
>>> adapter). I am able to add printers, see all files and folders, etc etc etc.
>>>
>>> If there is any other info needed, let me know. I will happily share! I have
>>> a funny feeling this has something to do with the MCE of XP, as I brought my
>>> laptop and connected to the network with the same results. Only differenceis
>>> the two laptops were able to "see" each other fine.

>> I know that you wrote that you had set your firewalls to allow network
>> traffic, but double-check the desktop to make sure that whatever
>> antivirus application is running does not *also* have a firewall (Norton
>> a/v, for example, has something called "Internet Worm Protection" that
>> is, in fact, a firewall).
>>
>> Also check the list of running processes in Task Manager -- there may be
>> a secondary firewall running that you were not aware of. If this is the
>> case, you'll want to disable all but one firewall.
>>
>> --
>> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
>>
>> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
>> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

You're welcome. Thanks for posting back.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking