Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Files Not Sorted Alphabetically

Files Not Sorted Alphabetically

a_gera80@hotmail.com

I have a strange problem that only seems to be happening on one PC.

The problem is that in some applications (not many*), when the 'Select
Files' dialog window opens, the files within folders are not sorted
alphabetically - instead they are sorted in the order they were saved
into those folders.

*I'm guessing it only happens in applications that don't use the
standard Windows dialog box.

However the same thing happens when doing a "dir" using the Command
Prompt. On all other PC's I've tried, the "dir" command automatically
sorts by name. On this particular PC, the files are sorted in the order
the files were saved into the folder.

Is there some setting somewhere that is controlling this?
Thanks,
Andrew

BTW I am using XP SP2.

Gurble

On 1 Jan 2005 01:40:54 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) had this to say:

>I have a strange problem that only seems to be happening on one PC.
>
>The problem is that in some applications (not many*), when the 'Select
>Files' dialog window opens, the files within folders are not sorted
>alphabetically - instead they are sorted in the order they were saved
>into those folders.
>
>*I'm guessing it only happens in applications that don't use the
>standard Windows dialog box.
>
>However the same thing happens when doing a "dir" using the Command
>Prompt. On all other PC's I've tried, the "dir" command automatically
>sorts by name. On this particular PC, the files are sorted in the order
>the files were saved into the folder.
>
>Is there some setting somewhere that is controlling this?
>Thanks,
>Andrew
>
>BTW I am using XP SP2.

Sounds like the files are being sorted in date order.

You should be able to just click on "Title" above the list of files in
the dialog box. Note that sometimes the files are being displayed in
"list" format rather than "details" format, meaning that the "Title"
is not there to be clicked. To sort this, click the "Details" button
in the upper right corner (amongst a couple of others), and you should
then be able to click "Title".

Once you've sorted by "Title", you should be able to go back to "List"
view, and they will be alphabetical.

HTH. Let us know if this doesn't work, or is not what you meant.

Gurble

On 1 Jan 2005 01:40:54 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) had this to say:

>I have a strange problem that only seems to be happening on one PC.
>
>The problem is that in some applications (not many*), when the 'Select
>Files' dialog window opens, the files within folders are not sorted
>alphabetically - instead they are sorted in the order they were saved
>into those folders.
>
>*I'm guessing it only happens in applications that don't use the
>standard Windows dialog box.
>
>However the same thing happens when doing a "dir" using the Command
>Prompt. On all other PC's I've tried, the "dir" command automatically
>sorts by name. On this particular PC, the files are sorted in the order
>the files were saved into the folder.
>
>Is there some setting somewhere that is controlling this?
>Thanks,
>Andrew
>
>BTW I am using XP SP2.

Sounds like the files are being sorted in date order.

You should be able to just click on "Title" above the list of files in
the dialog box. Note that sometimes the files are being displayed in
"list" format rather than "details" format, meaning that the "Title"
is not there to be clicked. To sort this, click the "Details" button
in the upper right corner (amongst a couple of others), and you should
then be able to click "Title".

Once you've sorted by "Title", you should be able to go back to "List"
view, and they will be alphabetical.

HTH. Let us know if this doesn't work, or is not what you meant.

Ralph Fox

On 1 Jan 2005 01:40:54 -0800, in message
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On all other PC's I've tried, the "dir" command automatically
> sorts by name. On this particular PC, the files are sorted in the order
> the files were saved into the folder.
>
> Is there some setting somewhere that is controlling this?

For the dir command, include this in your DOS environment

DIRCMD=/O:N

See the dir built-in help

| DOS>dir /?

| /O List by files in sorted order.
| sortorder N By name (alphabetic) S By size (smallest first)
| E By extension (alphabetic) D By date & time (earliest first)
| G Group directories first - Prefix to reverse order
| A By Last Access Date (earliest first)

| Switches may be preset in the DIRCMD environment variable.

This might not help with your other problem, though.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

Ralph Fox

On 1 Jan 2005 01:40:54 -0800, in message
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On all other PC's I've tried, the "dir" command automatically
> sorts by name. On this particular PC, the files are sorted in the order
> the files were saved into the folder.
>
> Is there some setting somewhere that is controlling this?

For the dir command, include this in your DOS environment

DIRCMD=/O:N

See the dir built-in help

| DOS>dir /?

| /O List by files in sorted order.
| sortorder N By name (alphabetic) S By size (smallest first)
| E By extension (alphabetic) D By date & time (earliest first)
| G Group directories first - Prefix to reverse order
| A By Last Access Date (earliest first)

| Switches may be preset in the DIRCMD environment variable.

This might not help with your other problem, though.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

Jerry

Ralph Fox wrote:
> On 1 Jan 2005 01:40:54 -0800, in message
> <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>>On all other PC's I've tried, the "dir" command automatically
>>sorts by name. On this particular PC, the files are sorted in the order
>>the files were saved into the folder.
>>
>>Is there some setting somewhere that is controlling this?

> For the dir command, include this in your DOS environment
>
> DIRCMD=/O:N
>
> See the dir built-in help
>

> | DOS>dir /?

> | /O List by files in sorted order.
> | sortorder N By name (alphabetic) S By size (smallest first)
> | E By extension (alphabetic) D By date & time (earliest first)
> | G Group directories first - Prefix to reverse order
> | A By Last Access Date (earliest first)

> | Switches may be preset in the DIRCMD environment variable.
>

> This might not help with your other problem, though.

When the files are displayed in the window, just click on "name" at the
top of the file list.

Jerry

Jerry

Ralph Fox wrote:
> On 1 Jan 2005 01:40:54 -0800, in message
> <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>>On all other PC's I've tried, the "dir" command automatically
>>sorts by name. On this particular PC, the files are sorted in the order
>>the files were saved into the folder.
>>
>>Is there some setting somewhere that is controlling this?

> For the dir command, include this in your DOS environment
>
> DIRCMD=/O:N
>
> See the dir built-in help
>

> | DOS>dir /?

> | /O List by files in sorted order.
> | sortorder N By name (alphabetic) S By size (smallest first)
> | E By extension (alphabetic) D By date & time (earliest first)
> | G Group directories first - Prefix to reverse order
> | A By Last Access Date (earliest first)

> | Switches may be preset in the DIRCMD environment variable.
>

> This might not help with your other problem, though.

When the files are displayed in the window, just click on "name" at the
top of the file list.

Jerry

Ralph Fox

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 08:22:45 +1300, in message
<41d6f863$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry wrote:

> When the files are displayed in the window, just click on "name" at the
> top of the file list.

The OP may first have to change the view from "List" to "Details"
to be able to do this.

Ralph Fox

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 08:22:45 +1300, in message
<41d6f863$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry wrote:

> When the files are displayed in the window, just click on "name" at the
> top of the file list.

The OP may first have to change the view from "List" to "Details"
to be able to do this.

a_gera80@hotmail.com

Thanks everyone for your replies. However the problem is that this
particular dialog window doesn't allow sorting by header clicks or any
other way. It's not the standard Windows 'Select Files' dialog box,
it's a custom one for the application and it doesn't seem to offer any
sorting.

And I'm aware of the command line switches for the "dir" command to
force sorting, however my point is that on my computer, using "dir"
without any switches returns all the files sorted alphabetically, and
I'm pretty sure this is the standard behaviour (perhaps some of you can
try this to confirm?).

Therefore there seems to be an underlying difference between my
computer and this other one in terms of the way the file directory is
stored. The only difference is that I'm using NTFS and this other
computer has FAT32 - could this have anything to do with it?

Andrew