Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > The life of a flash drive

The life of a flash drive

Troglodyte

Got a pen drive 2.0 some months ago. No probelsm with it. Just a
general question. How do they last ? Are they any less reliable than a
normal hard drive ? Plan on using it on a daily basies during the
coming year, and would like to be able to trust it.

Cheers Trog

Gurble

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:04:18 +1300, Troglodyte <(E-Mail Removed)> had
this to say:

>Got a pen drive 2.0 some months ago. No probelsm with it. Just a
>general question. How do they last ? Are they any less reliable than a
>normal hard drive ? Plan on using it on a daily basies during the
>coming year, and would like to be able to trust it.
>

>Cheers Trog

Other than the problems that can be caused by not unmounting it (or
"stopping" it in Windows speak), they should in theory last a lot
longer than a hard drive - amongst other reasons, for the fact that
there are no moving parts.

Gurble

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:04:18 +1300, Troglodyte <(E-Mail Removed)> had
this to say:

>Got a pen drive 2.0 some months ago. No probelsm with it. Just a
>general question. How do they last ? Are they any less reliable than a
>normal hard drive ? Plan on using it on a daily basies during the
>coming year, and would like to be able to trust it.
>

>Cheers Trog

Other than the problems that can be caused by not unmounting it (or
"stopping" it in Windows speak), they should in theory last a lot
longer than a hard drive - amongst other reasons, for the fact that
there are no moving parts.

Ralph Fox

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 04:24:06 +1300, in message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Gurble wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:04:18 +1300, Troglodyte <(E-Mail Removed)> had
> this to say:
>
> >Got a pen drive 2.0 some months ago. No probelsm with it. Just a
> >general question. How do they last ? Are they any less reliable than a
> >normal hard drive ? Plan on using it on a daily basies during the
> >coming year, and would like to be able to trust it.
> >

> >Cheers Trog

> Other than the problems that can be caused by not unmounting it (or
> "stopping" it in Windows speak), they should in theory last a lot
> longer than a hard drive - amongst other reasons, for the fact that
> there are no moving parts.

Flash RAM has a finite life time in terms of the number of times you
can rewrite data.

This is different to a hard drive which has a finite life time measured
in hours spinning (regardless of any writes).

<(E-Mail Removed)>, Gurble wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:04:18 +1300, Troglodyte <(E-Mail Removed)> had
> this to say:
>
> >Got a pen drive 2.0 some months ago. No probelsm with it. Just a
> >general question. How do they last ? Are they any less reliable than a
> >normal hard drive ? Plan on using it on a daily basies during the
> >coming year, and would like to be able to trust it.
> >

> >Cheers Trog

> Other than the problems that can be caused by not unmounting it (or
> "stopping" it in Windows speak), they should in theory last a lot
> longer than a hard drive - amongst other reasons, for the fact that
> there are no moving parts.

Flash RAM has a finite life time in terms of the number of times you
can rewrite data.

This is different to a hard drive which has a finite life time measured
in hours spinning (regardless of any writes).

Dogboy

Troglodyte wrote:
> Got a pen drive 2.0 some months ago. No probelsm with it. Just a
> general question. How do they last ? Are they any less reliable than a
> normal hard drive ? Plan on using it on a daily basies during the
> coming year, and would like to be able to trust it.
>

> Cheers Trog

There is nothing inherently unreliable about the Pen drives. There is a
write/read limit, which will give you a "big number" of writes and
reads, Ive heard various claims from 10,000 to 1,000,000.

The main thing about them is they get a lot of abuse. Ive had my one for
a couple of years now and the USB plug bit is getting somewhat loose.

Also make sure you unmount it like the other poster mentioned. If for
some reason it wont unmount make sure you switch off the machine when
you take it out. 99% of the time pulling it out directly doesnt make a
difference if your not moving any data across, but that 1% will get you
(and has got me).

--
Dogboy

Dogboy

Troglodyte wrote:
> Got a pen drive 2.0 some months ago. No probelsm with it. Just a
> general question. How do they last ? Are they any less reliable than a
> normal hard drive ? Plan on using it on a daily basies during the
> coming year, and would like to be able to trust it.
>

> Cheers Trog

There is nothing inherently unreliable about the Pen drives. There is a
write/read limit, which will give you a "big number" of writes and
reads, Ive heard various claims from 10,000 to 1,000,000.

The main thing about them is they get a lot of abuse. Ive had my one for
a couple of years now and the USB plug bit is getting somewhat loose.

Also make sure you unmount it like the other poster mentioned. If for
some reason it wont unmount make sure you switch off the machine when
you take it out. 99% of the time pulling it out directly doesnt make a
difference if your not moving any data across, but that 1% will get you
(and has got me).

--
Dogboy

Bruce Knox

wrote:

>Got a pen drive 2.0 some months ago. No probelsm with it. Just a
>general question. How do they last ? Are they any less reliable than a
>normal hard drive ? Plan on using it on a daily basies during the
>coming year, and would like to be able to trust it.
>

>Cheers Trog

Hi, from what I know the USB bit can be the most unreliable. If you
get read errors a bit of alcohol and a cotton bud can get you going
again.

Bruce.

Bruce Knox

wrote:

>Got a pen drive 2.0 some months ago. No probelsm with it. Just a
>general question. How do they last ? Are they any less reliable than a
>normal hard drive ? Plan on using it on a daily basies during the
>coming year, and would like to be able to trust it.
>

>Cheers Trog

Hi, from what I know the USB bit can be the most unreliable. If you
get read errors a bit of alcohol and a cotton bud can get you going
again.

Bruce.

Enkidu

wrote:

>Got a pen drive 2.0 some months ago. No probelsm with it. Just a
>general question. How do they last ? Are they any less reliable than a
>normal hard drive ? Plan on using it on a daily basies during the
>coming year, and would like to be able to trust it.

Mine went through the wash and still works!

Cheers,

Cliff
--

The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html