Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > The life of a flash drive

The life of a flash drive

Enkidu

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:10:55 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>>>Also make sure you unmount it like the other poster mentioned. If for
>>>some reason it wont unmount make sure you switch off the machine when
>>>you take it out. 99% of the time pulling it out directly doesnt make a
>>>difference if your not moving any data across, but that 1% will get you
>>>(and has got me).

>> Isn't that just your normal risk of filesystem corruption when you don't
>> do a clean unmount? Why not just format it with a journalled filesystem
>> like reiserfs.

>well, for one, windows doesnt read it by default, so it would limit it's
>"portability" between machines.
>
>sure, not an issue if you dont use windows, but ~90% of all users do.
>
>I believe if you format them with ntfs they are also fine... although Im
>not sure how windows handles permissions etc on removable volumes, or
>even if it "allows" it.

It's all done by numbers. SIDs actually.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <cqtb55$i7j$(E-Mail Removed)>, Dogboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I had my flash drive in and I started playing around in DOS for some
>reason so instead of rebooting I just decided to pull it out. When I
>did that I literally saw a spark jump from the USB port (or nearby case)
> on to my USB flash drive. I thought it was totally fried but after a
>lot of messing around I managed to recover 3/4 of the space. 1/4 was
>lost. Files were long gone by that time.

That sounds like something badly wrong--certainly in violation of the
USB specs. The whole point about external buses like USB and FireWire is
that they are hot-pluggable. To this end, I think there are special
design features like the power pins are the last to make contact when
plugging in, and the first to break contact when unplugging.