Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > The life of a flash drive

The life of a flash drive

Enkidu

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:04:18 +1300, Troglodyte <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Got a pen drive 2.0 some months ago. No probelsm with it. Just a
>general question. How do they last ? Are they any less reliable than a
>normal hard drive ? Plan on using it on a daily basies during the
>coming year, and would like to be able to trust it.

Mine went through the wash and still works!

Cheers,

Cliff
--

The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

~misfit~

Bruce Knox wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:04:18 +1300, Troglodyte <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Got a pen drive 2.0 some months ago. No probelsm with it. Just a
>> general question. How do they last ? Are they any less reliable
>> than a normal hard drive ? Plan on using it on a daily basies
>> during the coming year, and would like to be able to trust it.
>>

>> Cheers Trog

> Hi, from what I know the USB bit can be the most unreliable. If you
> get read errors a bit of alcohol and a cotton bud can get you going
> again.

What do you do with the cotton bud?
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Bruce Knox wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:04:18 +1300, Troglodyte <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Got a pen drive 2.0 some months ago. No probelsm with it. Just a
>> general question. How do they last ? Are they any less reliable
>> than a normal hard drive ? Plan on using it on a daily basies
>> during the coming year, and would like to be able to trust it.
>>

>> Cheers Trog

> Hi, from what I know the USB bit can be the most unreliable. If you
> get read errors a bit of alcohol and a cotton bud can get you going
> again.

What do you do with the cotton bud?
--
~misfit~

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <cqsctr$qed$(E-Mail Removed)>, Dogboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Also make sure you unmount it like the other poster mentioned. If for
>some reason it wont unmount make sure you switch off the machine when
>you take it out. 99% of the time pulling it out directly doesnt make a
>difference if your not moving any data across, but that 1% will get you
>(and has got me).

Isn't that just your normal risk of filesystem corruption when you don't
do a clean unmount? Why not just format it with a journalled filesystem
like reiserfs.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <cqsctr$qed$(E-Mail Removed)>, Dogboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Also make sure you unmount it like the other poster mentioned. If for
>some reason it wont unmount make sure you switch off the machine when
>you take it out. 99% of the time pulling it out directly doesnt make a
>difference if your not moving any data across, but that 1% will get you
>(and has got me).

Isn't that just your normal risk of filesystem corruption when you don't
do a clean unmount? Why not just format it with a journalled filesystem
like reiserfs.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>>Also make sure you unmount it like the other poster mentioned. If for
>>some reason it wont unmount make sure you switch off the machine when
>>you take it out. 99% of the time pulling it out directly doesnt make a
>>difference if your not moving any data across, but that 1% will get you
>>(and has got me).

> Isn't that just your normal risk of filesystem corruption when you don't
> do a clean unmount? Why not just format it with a journalled filesystem
> like reiserfs.

well, for one, windows doesnt read it by default, so it would limit it's
"portability" between machines.

sure, not an issue if you dont use windows, but ~90% of all users do.

I believe if you format them with ntfs they are also fine... although Im
not sure how windows handles permissions etc on removable volumes, or
even if it "allows" it.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>>Also make sure you unmount it like the other poster mentioned. If for
>>some reason it wont unmount make sure you switch off the machine when
>>you take it out. 99% of the time pulling it out directly doesnt make a
>>difference if your not moving any data across, but that 1% will get you
>>(and has got me).

> Isn't that just your normal risk of filesystem corruption when you don't
> do a clean unmount? Why not just format it with a journalled filesystem
> like reiserfs.

well, for one, windows doesnt read it by default, so it would limit it's
"portability" between machines.

sure, not an issue if you dont use windows, but ~90% of all users do.

I believe if you format them with ntfs they are also fine... although Im
not sure how windows handles permissions etc on removable volumes, or
even if it "allows" it.

Dogboy

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> In article <cqsctr$qed$(E-Mail Removed)>, Dogboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Also make sure you unmount it like the other poster mentioned. If for
>>some reason it wont unmount make sure you switch off the machine when
>>you take it out. 99% of the time pulling it out directly doesnt make a
>>difference if your not moving any data across, but that 1% will get you
>>(and has got me).

> Isn't that just your normal risk of filesystem corruption when you don't
> do a clean unmount? Why not just format it with a journalled filesystem
> like reiserfs.

Well, it is and it isnt. Filesystem corruption is certainly possible.
What I was REALLY talking about though was something which happened to
me about 6 months ago. Being the family tecchie I was called in to look
at a relatives machine.

I had my flash drive in and I started playing around in DOS for some
reason so instead of rebooting I just decided to pull it out. When I
did that I literally saw a spark jump from the USB port (or nearby case)
on to my USB flash drive. I thought it was totally fried but after a
lot of messing around I managed to recover 3/4 of the space. 1/4 was
lost. Files were long gone by that time.

Now that I think about it, it sounds like something isnt grounded
properly on that machine or something like that. Could explain why its
been a POS from day one. The point is, you never know.

--
Dogboy

Wargame Terrain Generator
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~healer8/

Dogboy

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> In article <cqsctr$qed$(E-Mail Removed)>, Dogboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Also make sure you unmount it like the other poster mentioned. If for
>>some reason it wont unmount make sure you switch off the machine when
>>you take it out. 99% of the time pulling it out directly doesnt make a
>>difference if your not moving any data across, but that 1% will get you
>>(and has got me).

> Isn't that just your normal risk of filesystem corruption when you don't
> do a clean unmount? Why not just format it with a journalled filesystem
> like reiserfs.

Well, it is and it isnt. Filesystem corruption is certainly possible.
What I was REALLY talking about though was something which happened to
me about 6 months ago. Being the family tecchie I was called in to look
at a relatives machine.

I had my flash drive in and I started playing around in DOS for some
reason so instead of rebooting I just decided to pull it out. When I
did that I literally saw a spark jump from the USB port (or nearby case)
on to my USB flash drive. I thought it was totally fried but after a
lot of messing around I managed to recover 3/4 of the space. 1/4 was
lost. Files were long gone by that time.

Now that I think about it, it sounds like something isnt grounded
properly on that machine or something like that. Could explain why its
been a POS from day one. The point is, you never know.

--
Dogboy

Wargame Terrain Generator
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~healer8/

Enkidu

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:10:55 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>>>Also make sure you unmount it like the other poster mentioned. If for
>>>some reason it wont unmount make sure you switch off the machine when
>>>you take it out. 99% of the time pulling it out directly doesnt make a
>>>difference if your not moving any data across, but that 1% will get you
>>>(and has got me).

>> Isn't that just your normal risk of filesystem corruption when you don't
>> do a clean unmount? Why not just format it with a journalled filesystem
>> like reiserfs.

>well, for one, windows doesnt read it by default, so it would limit it's
>"portability" between machines.
>
>sure, not an issue if you dont use windows, but ~90% of all users do.
>
>I believe if you format them with ntfs they are also fine... although Im
>not sure how windows handles permissions etc on removable volumes, or
>even if it "allows" it.

It's all done by numbers. SIDs actually.

Cheers,

Cliff