Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Verified by Visa - requires popups?!

Verified by Visa - requires popups?!

Aaron Lawrence

I was just reading about "verified by visa" which is (finally) a
password system for online Visa usage.

https://usa.visa.com/personal/security/vbv/

Good idea ... but ... it requires popup windows!

Their stunning advice if you have a popup blocker? Turn it off! Wow, who
would have thought!

To me, this is an example of extreme cluelessness. Just as people are
becoming aware of, and using, popup blockers and Firefox/Mozilla/Opera,
Visa comes out with a scheme that ignores all that.

Personally, the hassle of turning popups off and on just to do this
would put me off ever signing up.

I wonder WHY they want to use popups? I mean what possible security do
they get from a popup window that they don't get from a new page?

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

Richard

Aaron Lawrence wrote:

> I was just reading about "verified by visa" which is (finally) a
> password system for online Visa usage.
>
> https://usa.visa.com/personal/security/vbv/
>
> Good idea ... but ... it requires popup windows!

I dont think its a good idea at all, the only thing it gives the merchants is a
slightly higher degree of certanty that the person shopping is the person that
should be using that card.

Untill merchants will use this to let you ship internationally, and ship to
non-billing addresses etc, it has added nothing, at the moment its nothing more
then a novelty to allow a few people to think they are protectign themselves
against this mysterious online fraud thing that everyone will warn you about,
but noone I know has actually lost money on (other then a couple of computer
parts retailers)

Richard

Aaron Lawrence wrote:

> I was just reading about "verified by visa" which is (finally) a
> password system for online Visa usage.
>
> https://usa.visa.com/personal/security/vbv/
>
> Good idea ... but ... it requires popup windows!

I dont think its a good idea at all, the only thing it gives the merchants is a
slightly higher degree of certanty that the person shopping is the person that
should be using that card.

Untill merchants will use this to let you ship internationally, and ship to
non-billing addresses etc, it has added nothing, at the moment its nothing more
then a novelty to allow a few people to think they are protectign themselves
against this mysterious online fraud thing that everyone will warn you about,
but noone I know has actually lost money on (other then a couple of computer
parts retailers)

Collector»NZ

Jedmeister said the following on 30/12/2004 7:01 a.m.:
> "Aaron Lawrence" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I was just reading about "verified by visa" which is (finally) a
>>password system for online Visa usage.
>>
>>https://usa.visa.com/personal/security/vbv/
>>
>>Good idea ... but ... it requires popup windows!
>>
>>Their stunning advice if you have a popup blocker? Turn it off! Wow, who
>>would have thought!
>>
>>To me, this is an example of extreme cluelessness. Just as people are
>>becoming aware of, and using, popup blockers and Firefox/Mozilla/Opera,
>>Visa comes out with a scheme that ignores all that.
>>
>>Personally, the hassle of turning popups off and on just to do this
>>would put me off ever signing up.
>>

>>I wonder WHY they want to use popups? I mean what possible security do
>>they get from a popup window that they don't get from a new page?
>>

> Yeah damn the popups. I wonder why anyone bothers programming them anymore
> with the new browser popup blockers.
>
> But, I don't get this service - I would have thought this would make it
> easier to buy US goods from participating stores via credit card. But, on
> the PCMALL website, it says...
>
> International Orders
> International orders are taken over the phone only. Please call 310-354-5600
> for rates, restrictions and other special arrangements for your orders.
> Please note that many products' warranties do not provide coverage outside
> the U.S., and some products may not be exported due to manufacturers'
> restrictions or U.S. laws. PC Mall makes no representations regarding
> warranty coverage, compatibility, or serviceability for products that are
> used outside the U.S. Orders for shipment outside the US are subject to
> higher shipping rates, and applicable customs, duties and taxes, all of
> which are the responsibility of the customer. All international orders must
> be prepaid in full with U.S. funds, by a cashier's check drawn on a U.S.
> bank or by wire transfer.
>

> Whats the point?

Charge backs on credit cards are killing the use of cards on the net,
the onus of proof falls on the supplier and it is just too costly to
deal with off shore so they just say NO.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?

Collector»NZ

Jedmeister said the following on 30/12/2004 7:01 a.m.:
> "Aaron Lawrence" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I was just reading about "verified by visa" which is (finally) a
>>password system for online Visa usage.
>>
>>https://usa.visa.com/personal/security/vbv/
>>
>>Good idea ... but ... it requires popup windows!
>>
>>Their stunning advice if you have a popup blocker? Turn it off! Wow, who
>>would have thought!
>>
>>To me, this is an example of extreme cluelessness. Just as people are
>>becoming aware of, and using, popup blockers and Firefox/Mozilla/Opera,
>>Visa comes out with a scheme that ignores all that.
>>
>>Personally, the hassle of turning popups off and on just to do this
>>would put me off ever signing up.
>>

>>I wonder WHY they want to use popups? I mean what possible security do
>>they get from a popup window that they don't get from a new page?
>>

> Yeah damn the popups. I wonder why anyone bothers programming them anymore
> with the new browser popup blockers.
>
> But, I don't get this service - I would have thought this would make it
> easier to buy US goods from participating stores via credit card. But, on
> the PCMALL website, it says...
>
> International Orders
> International orders are taken over the phone only. Please call 310-354-5600
> for rates, restrictions and other special arrangements for your orders.
> Please note that many products' warranties do not provide coverage outside
> the U.S., and some products may not be exported due to manufacturers'
> restrictions or U.S. laws. PC Mall makes no representations regarding
> warranty coverage, compatibility, or serviceability for products that are
> used outside the U.S. Orders for shipment outside the US are subject to
> higher shipping rates, and applicable customs, duties and taxes, all of
> which are the responsibility of the customer. All international orders must
> be prepaid in full with U.S. funds, by a cashier's check drawn on a U.S.
> bank or by wire transfer.
>

> Whats the point?

Charge backs on credit cards are killing the use of cards on the net,
the onus of proof falls on the supplier and it is just too costly to
deal with off shore so they just say NO.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?

T-Boy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I was just reading about "verified by visa" which is (finally) a
> password system for online Visa usage.
>
> https://usa.visa.com/personal/security/vbv/
>
> Good idea ... but ... it requires popup windows!
>
> Their stunning advice if you have a popup blocker? Turn it off! Wow, who
> would have thought!
>
> To me, this is an example of extreme cluelessness. Just as people are
> becoming aware of, and using, popup blockers and Firefox/Mozilla/Opera,
> Visa comes out with a scheme that ignores all that.
>
> Personally, the hassle of turning popups off and on just to do this
> would put me off ever signing up.
>

> I wonder WHY they want to use popups? I mean what possible security do
> they get from a popup window that they don't get from a new page?

You really need to define "popup windows" - as their are two types:
a) ones that popup automatically (BAD)
b) ones that popup on a user click (OK) - (if your browser settings
block this or you have popup blocker s/w that blocks these popups,
adjust your settings and get better popup blocker s/w).

--
Duncan

T-Boy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I was just reading about "verified by visa" which is (finally) a
> password system for online Visa usage.
>
> https://usa.visa.com/personal/security/vbv/
>
> Good idea ... but ... it requires popup windows!
>
> Their stunning advice if you have a popup blocker? Turn it off! Wow, who
> would have thought!
>
> To me, this is an example of extreme cluelessness. Just as people are
> becoming aware of, and using, popup blockers and Firefox/Mozilla/Opera,
> Visa comes out with a scheme that ignores all that.
>
> Personally, the hassle of turning popups off and on just to do this
> would put me off ever signing up.
>

> I wonder WHY they want to use popups? I mean what possible security do
> they get from a popup window that they don't get from a new page?

You really need to define "popup windows" - as their are two types:
a) ones that popup automatically (BAD)
b) ones that popup on a user click (OK) - (if your browser settings
block this or you have popup blocker s/w that blocks these popups,
adjust your settings and get better popup blocker s/w).

--
Duncan

Jedmeister