Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MS Bluetooth dongle + Bluetooth Network

MS Bluetooth dongle + Bluetooth Network

Chris Mayhew

Hi, have been playing with this the last couple of days and can't figure
out why it's not working. Have googled, but not found anything useful
that sheds any light why this won't work.

Basically what I have is a MS BT dongle left over from a MS BT K/B +
Mouse package that I want to see if I could get to work. I wanted to be
able to take the notebook into the next room, so only require a few
meters (within the range of BT). MS say the BT K/B + mouse only work
with winXP (maybe win2000 also ?) but I have found that using the DSE
drivers and S/W for their BT dongle XH6859 http://tinyurl.com/4xd2e

Setup is Win98SE with the DSE S/W used as the server, Dell 600m notebook
with built in BT as the client.

I have found that I can sync files between the two OK - the server can
serve up files for the client to download/sync, the client can upload
new files to the server.

What I can't get working is setting up the server to provide Internet
access to the client over BT

The server (win98SE) is connected to the router via a switch and I have
ICS installed. I can get the client to connect to the server, but can
get any data flowing.

I realize that I'm using DSE S/W with a MS BT dongle but since I could
get the file transfer to work I though I ought to be able to get the
network access to work also.

I know, from google that it is possible to get the MS K/B + mouse to
work on *nix and I know from reading some Dell forums that some people
claim they know people that have put the MS BT dongle to work, but not
sure what or how or even if thats true. From this, and my experiments
so far that the MS claim to work on winXP only must only relate to the
K/B + Mouse S/w not the actual BT dongle.

Anybody know if I should be able to get this to work or how to do it or
were to find some info ?

TIA
Chris

Mauricio Freitas

"Chris Mayhew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, have been playing with this the last couple of days and can't figure
> out why it's not working. Have googled, but not found anything useful
> that sheds any light why this won't work.
>
> Basically what I have is a MS BT dongle left over from a MS BT K/B + Mouse
> package that I want to see if I could get to work. I wanted to be able to
> take the notebook into the next room, so only require a few meters (within
> the range of BT). MS say the BT K/B + mouse only work with winXP (maybe
> win2000 also ?) but I have found that using the DSE drivers and S/W for
> their BT dongle XH6859 http://tinyurl.com/4xd2e
>
> Setup is Win98SE with the DSE S/W used as the server, Dell 600m notebook
> with built in BT as the client.
>
> I have found that I can sync files between the two OK - the server can
> serve up files for the client to download/sync, the client can upload new
> files to the server.
>
> What I can't get working is setting up the server to provide Internet
> access to the client over BT
>
> The server (win98SE) is connected to the router via a switch and I have
> ICS installed. I can get the client to connect to the server, but can get
> any data flowing.
>
> I realize that I'm using DSE S/W with a MS BT dongle but since I could get
> the file transfer to work I though I ought to be able to get the network
> access to work also.
>
> I know, from google that it is possible to get the MS K/B + mouse to work
> on *nix and I know from reading some Dell forums that some people claim
> they know people that have put the MS BT dongle to work, but not sure what
> or how or even if thats true. From this, and my experiments so far that
> the MS claim to work on winXP only must only relate to the K/B + Mouse S/w
> not the actual BT dongle.
>
> Anybody know if I should be able to get this to work or how to do it or
> were to find some info ?
>
> TIA
> Chris

Check our Bluetooth Guides (link in sig) for some instructions. However...

How did you manage to use the DSE BT stack? Simply installed it?
Interesting, Widcomm generally locks the software to each manufacturer (via
MAC address).

The Microsoft BT stack works only on Windows XP. Service Pack 2 adds a much
better (but still limited) Bluetooth stack. Microsoft is not going to
release this software to other OS versions.

Anyway, Bluetooth LAN access (LAP) requires ICS on the server machine, and
that requires a specific IP address (192.168.0.1). Since you already have
ICS in another computer, this will probably cause conflicts. In this case
try using NAT32 (instructions in our Bluetooth Guides). An alternative is
using Bluetooth Network Access (PAN), which will require you to use Windows
XP Bridge to share the connections.

Mauricio Freitas wrote:
> "Chris Mayhew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi, have been playing with this the last couple of days and can't figure
>>out why it's not working. Have googled, but not found anything useful
>>that sheds any light why this won't work.
>>
>>Basically what I have is a MS BT dongle left over from a MS BT K/B + Mouse
>>package that I want to see if I could get to work. I wanted to be able to
>>take the notebook into the next room, so only require a few meters (within
>>the range of BT). MS say the BT K/B + mouse only work with winXP (maybe
>>win2000 also ?) but I have found that using the DSE drivers and S/W for
>>their BT dongle XH6859 http://tinyurl.com/4xd2e
>>
>>Setup is Win98SE with the DSE S/W used as the server, Dell 600m notebook
>>with built in BT as the client.
>>
>>I have found that I can sync files between the two OK - the server can
>>serve up files for the client to download/sync, the client can upload new
>>files to the server.
>>
>>What I can't get working is setting up the server to provide Internet
>>access to the client over BT
>>
>>The server (win98SE) is connected to the router via a switch and I have
>>ICS installed. I can get the client to connect to the server, but can get
>>any data flowing.
>>
>>I realize that I'm using DSE S/W with a MS BT dongle but since I could get
>>the file transfer to work I though I ought to be able to get the network
>>access to work also.
>>
>>I know, from google that it is possible to get the MS K/B + mouse to work
>>on *nix and I know from reading some Dell forums that some people claim
>>they know people that have put the MS BT dongle to work, but not sure what
>>or how or even if thats true. From this, and my experiments so far that
>>the MS claim to work on winXP only must only relate to the K/B + Mouse S/w
>>not the actual BT dongle.
>>
>>Anybody know if I should be able to get this to work or how to do it or
>>were to find some info ?
>>
>>TIA
>>Chris
>>

> Check our Bluetooth Guides (link in sig) for some instructions. However...
>
> How did you manage to use the DSE BT stack? Simply installed it?
> Interesting, Widcomm generally locks the software to each manufacturer (via
> MAC address).
>
> The Microsoft BT stack works only on Windows XP. Service Pack 2 adds a much
> better (but still limited) Bluetooth stack. Microsoft is not going to
> release this software to other OS versions.
>
> Anyway, Bluetooth LAN access (LAP) requires ICS on the server machine, and
> that requires a specific IP address (192.168.0.1). Since you already have
> ICS in another computer, this will probably cause conflicts. In this case
> try using NAT32 (instructions in our Bluetooth Guides). An alternative is
> using Bluetooth Network Access (PAN), which will require you to use Windows
> XP Bridge to share the connections.

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

Yes, I just installed the DSE S/W on the win98SE machine which has ICS
with IP of 192.168.0.1 assigned to the BT LAN TC/IP properties. The
same machine has a NIC with fixed IP whose gateway IP points to the
Router. The win98SE machine is a desktop PC which is why I have it set
up as the BT server.

If I understand you correctly, and from what I have read else where, it
seems it was just luck that I got the "File Transfer" function to work.

I looked at using PAN but that wasn't an option as I understood it, as
the winXP machine is the one I want set as the client (it's a Dell
notebook with build in BT)

The server and client are connected as a BT network. The client goes
through the connection process, finds an IP etc and the tray icon goes
changes as the process is worked through. Also, it states that the
status is "connected" and the white/blue BT tray icon on the server
changes to green/blue when the client status changes to "connected".
It's been connected for 6 hours now and the client shows 419 packets
sent but none received, while the server shows 205,947 bytes sent and
97,274 bytes received with signal strength showing "good".

This is the bit that confuses me. The info I have found (and you) seems
to suggest that it shouldn't be able to work but I get a "connected" status.

The only thing I haven't got is data flow from the server to client, or
rather the client is not receiving the data that the server appears to
be sending, which is odd given that the hardware and stack match.
Trying to load a web page gives "host not found". I don't know if it's
a setting not right or just not meant to happen and I've been lucky
getting this far.

I started out on this out of interest as I was going to buy a Wi-Fi card
or dongle but I've had enough success on this to want to see it through,
if it's technically possible.

Are you suggesting that this shouldn't be able to work ?

I'll go and study those links again.

Thanks
Chris

Chris Mayhew

Mauricio Freitas wrote:
> [...]

> received with signal strength showing "good".
>
> This is the bit that confuses me. The info I have found (and you) seems
> to suggest that it shouldn't be able to work but I get a "connected"
> status.
>
> The only thing I haven't got is data flow from the server to client, or
> rather the client is not receiving the data that the server appears to be
> sending, which is odd given that the hardware and stack match. Trying to
> load a web page gives "host not found". I don't know if it's a setting
> not right or just not meant to happen and I've been lucky getting this
> far.
>
> I started out on this out of interest as I was going to buy a Wi-Fi card
> or dongle but I've had enough success on this to want to see it through,
> if it's technically possible.
>
> Are you suggesting that this shouldn't be able to work ?

If it's connected then it's in the right direction. If there was a problem
during the handshake stage the connection wouldn't complete. The only thing
that can interfere with this now is Personal Firewall software. If using
Zone Alarm set it to Medium, if using NIS try making a rule to allow
communication to this subnet 192.168.0.*.

Also, on your BT adapter configuration (the one on the server, with IP
192.168.0.1), make sure you enter the DNS IP Address.