Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > The first NZ ISP

The first NZ ISP

KewlKiwi

According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
oldest internet service provider"

Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

Collector╗NZ

KewlKiwi said the following on 22/12/2004 6:57 p.m.:
> According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
> oldest internet service provider"
>
> Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

I think trhe Cave (Charlie lear) and KC (David Dix) and Actrix may have
a valid claim to this title.

| Local 40.9000░S, 174.9830░E |
his toes.

Collector╗NZ

KewlKiwi said the following on 22/12/2004 6:57 p.m.:
> According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
> oldest internet service provider"
>
> Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

I think trhe Cave (Charlie lear) and KC (David Dix) and Actrix may have
a valid claim to this title.

| Local 40.9000░S, 174.9830░E |
his toes.

C9H8O4

"KewlKiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41c90c92$(E-Mail Removed)...
> According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
> oldest internet service provider"
>
> Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

Important point: "first" is not the same as "oldest" - you have to still be
alive to claim to be "old"

C9H8O4 said the following on 22/12/2004 9:09 p.m.:
> "KewlKiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41c90c92$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
>>oldest internet service provider"
>>
>>Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

> Important point: "first" is not the same as "oldest" - you have to still be
> alive to claim to be "old"

By that definition then Ihug and KC have a shot at the title since they
are still going (as is ICONZ sort of)

Aspiringpsychopath said the following on 22/12/2004 10:42 p.m.:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:03:31 +1300, Collector┬╗NZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>KewlKiwi said the following on 22/12/2004 6:57 p.m.:
>>
>>>According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
>>>oldest internet service provider"
>>>
>>>Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

>>I think trhe Cave (Charlie lear) and KC (David Dix) and Actrix may have
>>a valid claim to this title.

> The Cave was a BBS

Which after they sorted out the **** users supplied limited internet
access as did KCBBS

| Local 40.9000┬░S, 174.9830┬░E |
his toes.

Collector┬╗NZ

Aspiringpsychopath said the following on 22/12/2004 10:42 p.m.:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:03:31 +1300, Collector┬╗NZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>KewlKiwi said the following on 22/12/2004 6:57 p.m.:
>>
>>>According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
>>>oldest internet service provider"
>>>
>>>Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

>>I think trhe Cave (Charlie lear) and KC (David Dix) and Actrix may have
>>a valid claim to this title.

> The Cave was a BBS

Which after they sorted out the **** users supplied limited internet
access as did KCBBS

| Local 40.9000┬░S, 174.9830┬░E |
his toes.

Aspiringpsychopath

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:57:50 +1300, KewlKiwi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>According to a footnote in a club 4wd mag, Earthlight is "New Zealands
>oldest internet service provider"
>
>Is this a fact, or are they bullshitting the trip report writer?

No Actrix and possible one other that started at around the same time in
Aulk, Jon Clark also ran one in Aulk,

70-290 first or 70-291 first? MCSE 2 07-11-2006 03:30 AM
World Exchange ISP / Telecoms - Any first hand comments Alan NZ Computing 3 03-26-2006 07:12 AM
help with my first project on first job, how to read a strange file, thanks a lot!!!!!!! matt Java 9 10-27-2004 03:32 AM

Advertisments