Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What port does Windows update use??

What port does Windows update use??

Mutley

I went to run Windows update this week and found that it hangs when
it goes to check for updates.

I first thought this was caused by my firewall so I turned it off.
This gave an error message but there was no info on the MS site about
it.

I reinstalled IE5.5 but that didn't help. I don't use IE so if it was
faulty I didn't know.

I change my ADSL router back to my old Dynalink RT200 and it worked
fine.

Put back on my DSE 1149 and it was blocked again.

The only ports I have open on the RT200 which are not open on the DSE
are 80 and 81 and these point to my email server not my PC.

After I downloaded the files it took 3 hours for them to be installed.
The 1st 50% went fast but the last 50% was like watching paint dry.

Any ideas??

TIA

Jay

"Mutley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I went to run Windows update this week and found that it hangs when
> it goes to check for updates.
>
> I first thought this was caused by my firewall so I turned it off.
> This gave an error message but there was no info on the MS site about
> it.
>
> I reinstalled IE5.5 but that didn't help. I don't use IE so if it was
> faulty I didn't know.
>
> I change my ADSL router back to my old Dynalink RT200 and it worked
> fine.
>
> Put back on my DSE 1149 and it was blocked again.
>
> The only ports I have open on the RT200 which are not open on the DSE
> are 80 and 81 and these point to my email server not my PC.
>
> After I downloaded the files it took 3 hours for them to be installed.
> The 1st 50% went fast but the last 50% was like watching paint dry.
>
> Any ideas??
>
> TIA

Jay

"Mutley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I went to run Windows update this week and found that it hangs when
> it goes to check for updates.
>
> I first thought this was caused by my firewall so I turned it off.
> This gave an error message but there was no info on the MS site about
> it.
>
> I reinstalled IE5.5 but that didn't help. I don't use IE so if it was
> faulty I didn't know.
>
> I change my ADSL router back to my old Dynalink RT200 and it worked
> fine.
>
> Put back on my DSE 1149 and it was blocked again.
>
> The only ports I have open on the RT200 which are not open on the DSE
> are 80 and 81 and these point to my email server not my PC.
>
> After I downloaded the files it took 3 hours for them to be installed.
> The 1st 50% went fast but the last 50% was like watching paint dry.
>
> Any ideas??
>
> TIA

Mutlley

"Jay" <nospam@*here.com> wrote:

>80
>
>"Mutley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I went to run Windows update this week and found that it hangs when
>> it goes to check for updates.
>>
>> I first thought this was caused by my firewall so I turned it off.
>> This gave an error message but there was no info on the MS site about
>> it.
>>
>> I reinstalled IE5.5 but that didn't help. I don't use IE so if it was
>> faulty I didn't know.
>>
>> I change my ADSL router back to my old Dynalink RT200 and it worked
>> fine.
>>
>> Put back on my DSE 1149 and it was blocked again.
>>
>> The only ports I have open on the RT200 which are not open on the DSE
>> are 80 and 81 and these point to my email server not my PC.
>>
>> After I downloaded the files it took 3 hours for them to be installed.
>> The 1st 50% went fast but the last 50% was like watching paint dry.
>>
>> Any ideas??
>>
>> TIA

Thanx..

Mutlley

"Jay" <nospam@*here.com> wrote:

>80
>
>"Mutley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I went to run Windows update this week and found that it hangs when
>> it goes to check for updates.
>>
>> I first thought this was caused by my firewall so I turned it off.
>> This gave an error message but there was no info on the MS site about
>> it.
>>
>> I reinstalled IE5.5 but that didn't help. I don't use IE so if it was
>> faulty I didn't know.
>>
>> I change my ADSL router back to my old Dynalink RT200 and it worked
>> fine.
>>
>> Put back on my DSE 1149 and it was blocked again.
>>
>> The only ports I have open on the RT200 which are not open on the DSE
>> are 80 and 81 and these point to my email server not my PC.
>>
>> After I downloaded the files it took 3 hours for them to be installed.
>> The 1st 50% went fast but the last 50% was like watching paint dry.
>>
>> Any ideas??
>>
>> TIA

Thanx..