Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux as low-cost print server?

Linux as low-cost print server?

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Dany P. Wu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have just scored a middle-aged (or elderly?) Intel Celery machine with a
> small HDD of ~6 GB or so. We've always wanted a dedicated print server at
> home, especially since my PC is now a laptop.
>
> Anyway, I immediately thought of using a Linux distro for it. The only thing
> that made me think twice is the fact that our printer, a Canon i560 is a USB
> printer! I've had nothing but trouble trying to get USB printers going on
> Linux.

Newer distros (Mandrake 10.0 here) have given me no trouble 'seeing' any
printer on USB, but a compatible driver to run the thing might be a big
issue (especially with a newer Canon....Canon aren't particularly nice
to the Linux community with driver support)...

Epsons and HP's are more well supported than Canon (my use of a USB
Epson Photo 830 with Mandrake 10.0 is point in case...I can drive
that printer with 95% of the functionality of the Windows/Mac driver
that comes with it)...

Setting up the Epson printer is completely GUI driven incase you were
wondering too...

--
Kind regards,

Registered Linux user #364954
Registered Linux PC #272788

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:16:45 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

> There is an Open Circulation Distribution that is free, email me if you
> want a copy but it is available for download on Bit Torrent

The deluxe version is also available on Bit torrent.

Divine

--
Part of Every Woman:
is a MOTHER,