Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux as low-cost print server?

Linux as low-cost print server?

Dany P. Wu

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2004.12.19.08.37.25.369177@TRACKER...
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:20:11 +1300, Dany P. Wu wrote:
>> Has anyone had any experience with Linux and this printer? What sort of
>> distro would you recommend?

> Mandrake 10.1 - latest version of Mandrake.
> Its successfully automatically configured all of my USB peripherals.
> Divine

Thanks - I'll look for a NZ mirror to download it. Xandros looks quite neat
too but it's not free though, is it?? I've used Mandrake previously and
would be keen to try Xandros - not sure if I want to spend money on it
though.

D.

Collector»NZ

Dany P. Wu said the following on 19/12/2004 9:58 p.m.:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsan.2004.12.19.08.37.25.369177@TRACKER...
>
>>On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:20:11 +1300, Dany P. Wu wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone had any experience with Linux and this printer? What sort of
>>>distro would you recommend?

>>Mandrake 10.1 - latest version of Mandrake.
>>Its successfully automatically configured all of my USB peripherals.
>>Divine

> Thanks - I'll look for a NZ mirror to download it. Xandros looks quite neat
> too but it's not free though, is it?? I've used Mandrake previously and
> would be keen to try Xandros - not sure if I want to spend money on it
> though.
>
> D.

There is an Open Circulation Distribution that is free, email me if you
want a copy but it is available for download on Bit Torrent

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
his toes.

Collector»NZ

Dany P. Wu said the following on 19/12/2004 9:58 p.m.:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsan.2004.12.19.08.37.25.369177@TRACKER...
>
>>On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:20:11 +1300, Dany P. Wu wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone had any experience with Linux and this printer? What sort of
>>>distro would you recommend?

>>Mandrake 10.1 - latest version of Mandrake.
>>Its successfully automatically configured all of my USB peripherals.
>>Divine

> Thanks - I'll look for a NZ mirror to download it. Xandros looks quite neat
> too but it's not free though, is it?? I've used Mandrake previously and
> would be keen to try Xandros - not sure if I want to spend money on it
> though.
>
> D.

There is an Open Circulation Distribution that is free, email me if you
want a copy but it is available for download on Bit Torrent

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
his toes.

Mackin

Dany P. Wu wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have just scored a middle-aged (or elderly?) Intel Celery machine with a
> small HDD of ~6 GB or so. We've always wanted a dedicated print server at
> home, especially since my PC is now a laptop.
>
> Anyway, I immediately thought of using a Linux distro for it. The only
> thing that made me think twice is the fact that our printer, a Canon i560
> is a USB printer! I've had nothing but trouble trying to get USB printers
> going on Linux.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with Linux and this printer? What sort of
> distro would you recommend?
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

My HP USB printer is attached to my Mandrake 10.0 box. I print to it
effortlessly from Mandrake 10.1, Windows XP & Windows 2000.

I've never had any problem with Mandrake and USB printers.

Mackin.

Mackin

Dany P. Wu wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have just scored a middle-aged (or elderly?) Intel Celery machine with a
> small HDD of ~6 GB or so. We've always wanted a dedicated print server at
> home, especially since my PC is now a laptop.
>
> Anyway, I immediately thought of using a Linux distro for it. The only
> thing that made me think twice is the fact that our printer, a Canon i560
> is a USB printer! I've had nothing but trouble trying to get USB printers
> going on Linux.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with Linux and this printer? What sort of
> distro would you recommend?
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

My HP USB printer is attached to my Mandrake 10.0 box. I print to it
effortlessly from Mandrake 10.1, Windows XP & Windows 2000.

I've never had any problem with Mandrake and USB printers.

Mackin.

wogers nemesis

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:35:44 +1300, Comp wrote:

> "Dany P. Wu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have just scored a middle-aged (or elderly?) Intel Celery machine with a
>> small HDD of ~6 GB or so. We've always wanted a dedicated print server at
>> home, especially since my PC is now a laptop.
>>
>> Anyway, I immediately thought of using a Linux distro for it. The only

> thing
>> that made me think twice is the fact that our printer, a Canon i560 is a

> USB
>> printer! I've had nothing but trouble trying to get USB printers going on
>> Linux.
>>
>> Has anyone had any experience with Linux and this printer? What sort of
>> distro would you recommend?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dany.
>>

> Just get a USB -> TCP/IP printer server module
> $98 from DSE and much easier and less
> power / maintenance than running a PC.
> no fan noise also.
>
> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH7601
>

> The printer then has an IP address which
> you can print to from any other PC
> on your network.
>
> The only advanage of using a PC is if you
> would also like some network storage
> then it would be a good idea. Eg storage
> of DVD's saved as AVI's and common
> documents and email.

How reliable are these compared to the awfully expensive Jetdirect boxes
(or cards)? I'd like to convince someone at work to use external print
servers rather than annoying Windows Printer sharing setups (which are a
real pain).

Dany P. Wu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have just scored a middle-aged (or elderly?) Intel Celery machine with a
> small HDD of ~6 GB or so. We've always wanted a dedicated print server at
> home, especially since my PC is now a laptop.
>
> Anyway, I immediately thought of using a Linux distro for it. The only thing
> that made me think twice is the fact that our printer, a Canon i560 is a USB
> printer! I've had nothing but trouble trying to get USB printers going on
> Linux.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with Linux and this printer? What sort of
> distro would you recommend?
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

Odd that you do, I found rh9, rhas3 to be zero effort USB printer servers...

It is possible that you have issues with the USB fighting with the AGP
slot, make sure the AGP slot has a IRQ applied to it and makre sure
there are no other strange settings in the BIOS.

Consider flashing the bios if you can, also look at a newer USB PCI card
in case its old dodgy hardware doing it they are very cheap.

Fedora should be an easy install and the gnome printer manager very usable.

regards

Thing

thing

Dany P. Wu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have just scored a middle-aged (or elderly?) Intel Celery machine with a
> small HDD of ~6 GB or so. We've always wanted a dedicated print server at
> home, especially since my PC is now a laptop.
>
> Anyway, I immediately thought of using a Linux distro for it. The only thing
> that made me think twice is the fact that our printer, a Canon i560 is a USB
> printer! I've had nothing but trouble trying to get USB printers going on
> Linux.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with Linux and this printer? What sort of
> distro would you recommend?
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

Odd that you do, I found rh9, rhas3 to be zero effort USB printer servers...

It is possible that you have issues with the USB fighting with the AGP
slot, make sure the AGP slot has a IRQ applied to it and makre sure
there are no other strange settings in the BIOS.

Consider flashing the bios if you can, also look at a newer USB PCI card
in case its old dodgy hardware doing it they are very cheap.

Fedora should be an easy install and the gnome printer manager very usable.

regards

Thing

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Dany P. Wu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have just scored a middle-aged (or elderly?) Intel Celery machine with a
> small HDD of ~6 GB or so. We've always wanted a dedicated print server at
> home, especially since my PC is now a laptop.
>
> Anyway, I immediately thought of using a Linux distro for it. The only thing
> that made me think twice is the fact that our printer, a Canon i560 is a USB
> printer! I've had nothing but trouble trying to get USB printers going on
> Linux.

Newer distros (Mandrake 10.0 here) have given me no trouble 'seeing' any
printer on USB, but a compatible driver to run the thing might be a big
issue (especially with a newer Canon....Canon aren't particularly nice
to the Linux community with driver support)...

Epsons and HP's are more well supported than Canon (my use of a USB
Epson Photo 830 with Mandrake 10.0 is point in case...I can drive
that printer with 95% of the functionality of the Windows/Mac driver
that comes with it)...

Setting up the Epson printer is completely GUI driven incase you were
wondering too...

--
Kind regards,

Registered Linux user #364954