Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux as low-cost print server?

Linux as low-cost print server?

Dany P. Wu

Hi everyone,

I have just scored a middle-aged (or elderly?) Intel Celery machine with a
small HDD of ~6 GB or so. We've always wanted a dedicated print server at
home, especially since my PC is now a laptop.

Anyway, I immediately thought of using a Linux distro for it. The only thing
that made me think twice is the fact that our printer, a Canon i560 is a USB
printer! I've had nothing but trouble trying to get USB printers going on
Linux.

Has anyone had any experience with Linux and this printer? What sort of
distro would you recommend?

Cheers,
Dany.

Comp

"Dany P. Wu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have just scored a middle-aged (or elderly?) Intel Celery machine with a
> small HDD of ~6 GB or so. We've always wanted a dedicated print server at
> home, especially since my PC is now a laptop.
>
> Anyway, I immediately thought of using a Linux distro for it. The only

thing
> that made me think twice is the fact that our printer, a Canon i560 is a

USB
> printer! I've had nothing but trouble trying to get USB printers going on
> Linux.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with Linux and this printer? What sort of
> distro would you recommend?
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

Just get a USB -> TCP/IP printer server module
$98 from DSE and much easier and less
power / maintenance than running a PC.
no fan noise also.

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH7601

The printer then has an IP address which
you can print to from any other PC
on your network.

The only advanage of using a PC is if you
would also like some network storage
then it would be a good idea. Eg storage
of DVD's saved as AVI's and common
documents and email.

Comp

"Dany P. Wu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have just scored a middle-aged (or elderly?) Intel Celery machine with a
> small HDD of ~6 GB or so. We've always wanted a dedicated print server at
> home, especially since my PC is now a laptop.
>
> Anyway, I immediately thought of using a Linux distro for it. The only

thing
> that made me think twice is the fact that our printer, a Canon i560 is a

USB
> printer! I've had nothing but trouble trying to get USB printers going on
> Linux.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with Linux and this printer? What sort of
> distro would you recommend?
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

Just get a USB -> TCP/IP printer server module
$98 from DSE and much easier and less
power / maintenance than running a PC.
no fan noise also.

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH7601

The printer then has an IP address which
you can print to from any other PC
on your network.

The only advanage of using a PC is if you
would also like some network storage
then it would be a good idea. Eg storage
of DVD's saved as AVI's and common
documents and email.

Collector»NZ

Dany P. Wu said the following on 19/12/2004 9:20 p.m.:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have just scored a middle-aged (or elderly?) Intel Celery machine with a
> small HDD of ~6 GB or so. We've always wanted a dedicated print server at
> home, especially since my PC is now a laptop.
>
> Anyway, I immediately thought of using a Linux distro for it. The only thing
> that made me think twice is the fact that our printer, a Canon i560 is a USB
> printer! I've had nothing but trouble trying to get USB printers going on
> Linux.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with Linux and this printer? What sort of
> distro would you recommend?
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

Xandros, a quick look showed canon well supported including USB, in V2
OCD the i560 wasnt in the supported printers on USB but a driver should
be locatably.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
his toes.

Collector»NZ

Dany P. Wu said the following on 19/12/2004 9:20 p.m.:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have just scored a middle-aged (or elderly?) Intel Celery machine with a
> small HDD of ~6 GB or so. We've always wanted a dedicated print server at
> home, especially since my PC is now a laptop.
>
> Anyway, I immediately thought of using a Linux distro for it. The only thing
> that made me think twice is the fact that our printer, a Canon i560 is a USB
> printer! I've had nothing but trouble trying to get USB printers going on
> Linux.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with Linux and this printer? What sort of
> distro would you recommend?
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

Xandros, a quick look showed canon well supported including USB, in V2
OCD the i560 wasnt in the supported printers on USB but a driver should
be locatably.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
his toes.

wogers nemesis

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:20:11 +1300, Dany P. Wu wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have just scored a middle-aged (or elderly?) Intel Celery machine with a
> small HDD of ~6 GB or so. We've always wanted a dedicated print server at
> home, especially since my PC is now a laptop.
>
> Anyway, I immediately thought of using a Linux distro for it. The only thing
> that made me think twice is the fact that our printer, a Canon i560 is a USB
> printer! I've had nothing but trouble trying to get USB printers going on
> Linux.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with Linux and this printer? What sort of
> distro would you recommend?
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

Apparently you can use the BJC 7000 driver.
Sounds like you just have problems with USB in general.
Use CUPS and try it out with something like Knoppix first.

http://linuxprinting.org/

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:20:11 +1300, Dany P. Wu wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience with Linux and this printer? What sort of
> distro would you recommend?

Mandrake 10.1 - latest version of Mandrake.

Its successfully automatically configured all of my USB peripherals.

Divine

--
Part of Every Woman:
is a MOTHER,

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

newsan.2004.12.19.08.37.25.369177@TRACKER...
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:20:11 +1300, Dany P. Wu wrote:
>> Has anyone had any experience with Linux and this printer? What sort of
>> distro would you recommend?

> Mandrake 10.1 - latest version of Mandrake.
> Its successfully automatically configured all of my USB peripherals.
> Divine

Thanks - I'll look for a NZ mirror to download it. Xandros looks quite neat
too but it's not free though, is it?? I've used Mandrake previously and
would be keen to try Xandros - not sure if I want to spend money on it
though.

D.