Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Req: Help I have lost my admin account on Winxp

Req: Help I have lost my admin account on Winxp

Jeremy

Hi as per subject I have lost the Admin acc, I still have the admin dir
under the doc and setting dir.
but I am unable to log on using this acc as it's not a visible option at the
logon screen. I can still log in
with admin rights under another user, but progs like M.O.Y.B and Office
detect what user you are logged in as. I tried to recreate the acc call
"administrator" but xp would not let me as it says there is already an acc
under this name, any ideas on how I can reactivate it.

Thanks to all for any helpful advice.

Jeremy

Alex Axolotl

Jeremy wrote:

> Hi as per subject I have lost the Admin acc, I still have the admin dir
> under the doc and setting dir.
> but I am unable to log on using this acc as it's not a visible option at the
> logon screen. I can still log in
> with admin rights under another user, but progs like M.O.Y.B and Office
> detect what user you are logged in as. I tried to recreate the acc call
> "administrator" but xp would not let me as it says there is already an acc
> under this name, any ideas on how I can reactivate it.
>

> Thanks to all for any helpful advice.
>
> Jeremy

The three finger salute
Hit control alt delete at the welcome screen and you will get the normal
nt login then log in as administrator
If you have only one user and you are not seeing the welcome screen, log
out then hit control alt delete

Alex Axolotl

Jeremy wrote:

> Hi as per subject I have lost the Admin acc, I still have the admin dir
> under the doc and setting dir.
> but I am unable to log on using this acc as it's not a visible option at the
> logon screen. I can still log in
> with admin rights under another user, but progs like M.O.Y.B and Office
> detect what user you are logged in as. I tried to recreate the acc call
> "administrator" but xp would not let me as it says there is already an acc
> under this name, any ideas on how I can reactivate it.
>

> Thanks to all for any helpful advice.
>
> Jeremy

The three finger salute
Hit control alt delete at the welcome screen and you will get the normal
nt login then log in as administrator
If you have only one user and you are not seeing the welcome screen, log
out then hit control alt delete

Adder

In article <cq391u$6ac$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Sun, 19 Dec 2004
20:02:26 +1300, Jeremy <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Hi as per subject I have lost the Admin acc, I still have the admin dir
> under the doc and setting dir.
> but I am unable to log on using this acc as it's not a visible option at the
> logon screen. I can still log in
> with admin rights under another user, but progs like M.O.Y.B and Office
> detect what user you are logged in as. I tried to recreate the acc call
> "administrator" but xp would not let me as it says there is already an acc
> under this name, any ideas on how I can reactivate it.

If you only have the logon screen with names on it that you click on to
log on, it needs to be changed to pressing Ctrl Alt Delete

The logon screen with names hides the Administrator account, but it's
still there.

Adder

In article <cq391u$6ac$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Sun, 19 Dec 2004
20:02:26 +1300, Jeremy <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Hi as per subject I have lost the Admin acc, I still have the admin dir
> under the doc and setting dir.
> but I am unable to log on using this acc as it's not a visible option at the
> logon screen. I can still log in
> with admin rights under another user, but progs like M.O.Y.B and Office
> detect what user you are logged in as. I tried to recreate the acc call
> "administrator" but xp would not let me as it says there is already an acc
> under this name, any ideas on how I can reactivate it.

If you only have the logon screen with names on it that you click on to
log on, it needs to be changed to pressing Ctrl Alt Delete

The logon screen with names hides the Administrator account, but it's
still there.

Gurble

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:02:26 +1300, "Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> had
this to say:

>Hi as per subject I have lost the Admin acc, I still have the admin dir
>under the doc and setting dir.
>but I am unable to log on using this acc as it's not a visible option at the
>logon screen. I can still log in
>with admin rights under another user, but progs like M.O.Y.B and Office
>detect what user you are logged in as. I tried to recreate the acc call
>"administrator" but xp would not let me as it says there is already an acc
>under this name, any ideas on how I can reactivate it.
>

>Thanks to all for any helpful advice.

In addition to the (correct) comments from previous posters, WinXP (as
with most reasonable OSs) do not use the account name for security,
but rather a generated unique ID. What this means is that you could
not create another user with the same name, and expect to have access
to the previous named user's resources.

However, there are other ways of gaining access (taking ownership
etc), although this is relatively irrelevant in your scenario.

HTH

Gurble

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:02:26 +1300, "Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> had
this to say:

>Hi as per subject I have lost the Admin acc, I still have the admin dir
>under the doc and setting dir.
>but I am unable to log on using this acc as it's not a visible option at the
>logon screen. I can still log in
>with admin rights under another user, but progs like M.O.Y.B and Office
>detect what user you are logged in as. I tried to recreate the acc call
>"administrator" but xp would not let me as it says there is already an acc
>under this name, any ideas on how I can reactivate it.
>

>Thanks to all for any helpful advice.

In addition to the (correct) comments from previous posters, WinXP (as
with most reasonable OSs) do not use the account name for security,
but rather a generated unique ID. What this means is that you could
not create another user with the same name, and expect to have access
to the previous named user's resources.

However, there are other ways of gaining access (taking ownership
etc), although this is relatively irrelevant in your scenario.

HTH

Jeremy

Thanks for all the help guys I can now access the computer through the admin
acc,
by using ctrl-alt-del, Now I need a workaround to make the comuter log in
as this acc
i.e I do not wish to manualy go through this process every time I reboot, i
tried to del the
other admin acc but I cannot work out how to do this.

Any Ideas

Thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy

Thanks for all the help guys I can now access the computer through the admin
acc,
by using ctrl-alt-del, Now I need a workaround to make the comuter log in
as this acc
i.e I do not wish to manualy go through this process every time I reboot, i
tried to del the
other admin acc but I cannot work out how to do this.

Any Ideas

Thanks

Jeremy

Gurble

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:02:06 +1300, "Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> had
this to say:

>Thanks for all the help guys I can now access the computer through the admin
>acc,
>by using ctrl-alt-del, Now I need a workaround to make the comuter log in
>as this acc
>i.e I do not wish to manualy go through this process every time I reboot, i
>tried to del the
>other admin acc but I cannot work out how to do this.
>
>Any Ideas
>
>Thanks

Hi, Jeremy.

Easiest way is to download TweakUI from the following link. It is
about halfway down the righthand side of the page.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

It is part of the MS Windows XP Powertoys package.

Run the installer, then access it from your Start Menu (under
"PowerToys for XP", or something similar).

Amongst many, many options is an "autologin" under "login".

Remember to be aware of the security consequences of this (ie anyone
can turn on your computer and have administrator access to it without
a password).

HTH.