Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Further Orcon newsfeed troubles

Further Orcon newsfeed troubles

Jamie Kahn Genet

Best explained if I simply copy the email I sent to Craig Whitmore
(who's not answering my emails) and Orcon Technical (ditto on ignoring
my pleas for help) plus earlier correspondence quoted. If any other
Orcon customers can help me out I'd really appreciate it. I've also
been on the phone to Orcon twice with no results. I once again had to
explain to an Orcon Tech moron (I'm sorry - but WTF do they teach IT
graduates these days???) what Usenet is. *gigantic sigh*

Here's the email I'm not getting any answers for:

Can someone please tell me what the tech support guy who left voice
mail
for me this afternoon meant when he said "Craig says switch back to
using news.orcon.net.nz" instead of news2.orcon.net.nz?

Does this mean Newsfeeds.com (which I remind those unfamiliar with
this
matter is utter shite) has been replaced as the primary Usenet server
by
Giganews' service? If the answer is no - then I do NOT want to move
back, even temporarily! I use an offline newsreader, i.e. I have a
local
cache of messages for the many newsgroups I follow. I am NOT waiting
hours, even days to re-download those groups. I cannot just switch
over
as users of online clients can.

So please, please, PLEASE let me know what the status of
news.orcon.net.nz and news2.orcon.net.nz is and how I can get back to
using your Giganews feed. Newsfeeds.com is NOT an option. Please.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Jamie Kahn Genet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hey guys - Craig isn't answering his email, so could you please get my
> Usenet access working again (see below)?
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet
>
> Jamie Kahn Genet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hey Craig. Same problem, once again.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jamie Kahn Genet

> > > G'day Craig. As off approx. 4 PM on 06/12/04 I'm being asked for
> > > authentication again... Everything was fine a couple hours ago.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Jamie Kahn Genet

Collector»NZ

Jamie Kahn Genet said the following on 18/12/2004 6:06 p.m.:
All snipped

Newsfeeds is indeed news.orcon.net.nz news2.orcon.net.nz is Giganews,
which was a test, that is not a production level service.

You are right you have been asked to stop using the test server.

Now you undoubtly will bleat your heart out here about the service being
withdrawn, I point out again to you "It was a test of another provider,
not a switch to or an alternative, but a test only"

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
his toes.

Collector»NZ

Jamie Kahn Genet said the following on 18/12/2004 6:06 p.m.:
All snipped

Newsfeeds is indeed news.orcon.net.nz news2.orcon.net.nz is Giganews,
which was a test, that is not a production level service.

You are right you have been asked to stop using the test server.

Now you undoubtly will bleat your heart out here about the service being
withdrawn, I point out again to you "It was a test of another provider,
not a switch to or an alternative, but a test only"

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
his toes.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> I once again had to
> explain to an Orcon Tech moron (I'm sorry - but WTF do they teach IT
> graduates these days???) what Usenet is. *gigantic sigh*

errr, who says that they are It graduates?

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)e

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> I once again had to
> explain to an Orcon Tech moron (I'm sorry - but WTF do they teach IT
> graduates these days???) what Usenet is. *gigantic sigh*

errr, who says that they are It graduates?

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is (E-Mail Removed)e

Chris Mayhew

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

ALL SNIPPED

Buddy, the Giganews was a test.

Sure, the Newsfeed feed is shite

Sure, I've had some **** poor service at times

Sure some people have jumped down my throat for me daring to complain
about Orcon

But, given the fact that it was widely known (in this group) that the
Giganews feed was a test, I feel compelled, just like Agent Smith, to
say, that your starting to sound like a complete arsehole.

Chris Mayhew

Orcon newsfeed -=rjh=- NZ Computing 23 11-21-2004 09:21 PM
Posible newsfeed changes at Orcon Collector»NZ NZ Computing 19 11-03-2004 02:36 AM
Orcon newsfeed Worm NZ Computing 26 09-12-2004 05:13 AM

Advertisments