Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > iPod - USB 2.0 ?

iPod - USB 2.0 ?

Joe Black

Hi

I know nothing about iPods but I want to buy one for my son for Christmas.
The specifications mention FireWire 400 or USB 2.0 for connectivity. I don't
have FireWire and only have USB 1.

Will USB 1 work or do I have to buy a FireWire card for my computer?

Thamks - Joe

Jed Meisterdude

"Joe Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eWxwd.28372$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I know nothing about iPods but I want to buy one for my son for Christmas.
> The specifications mention FireWire 400 or USB 2.0 for connectivity. I
> don't
> have FireWire and only have USB 1.
>
> Will USB 1 work or do I have to buy a FireWire card for my computer?
>
> Thamks - Joe

I can use my usb2.0 devices, on a usb1 connection so should be sweet -as.
The sales person will give you the correct info anyway

Jed Meisterdude

"Joe Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eWxwd.28372$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I know nothing about iPods but I want to buy one for my son for Christmas.
> The specifications mention FireWire 400 or USB 2.0 for connectivity. I
> don't
> have FireWire and only have USB 1.
>
> Will USB 1 work or do I have to buy a FireWire card for my computer?
>
> Thamks - Joe

I can use my usb2.0 devices, on a usb1 connection so should be sweet -as.
The sales person will give you the correct info anyway

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <eWxwd.28372$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Joe Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I know nothing about iPods but I want to buy one for my son for Christmas.
>The specifications mention FireWire 400 or USB 2.0 for connectivity. I don't
>have FireWire and only have USB 1.

You probably mean USB 1.1.

>Will USB 1 work or do I have to buy a FireWire card for my computer?

It should work, but very s-l-o-w-l-y (like 1/30th the speed). FireWire
cards are quite cheap now (less than $100, I believe), so you might as
well get one. Having got one, it will have other uses, such as video
capture from digital camcorders. You can probably even get a dual
FireWire/USB 2.0 card.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <eWxwd.28372$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Joe Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I know nothing about iPods but I want to buy one for my son for Christmas.
>The specifications mention FireWire 400 or USB 2.0 for connectivity. I don't
>have FireWire and only have USB 1.

You probably mean USB 1.1.

>Will USB 1 work or do I have to buy a FireWire card for my computer?

It should work, but very s-l-o-w-l-y (like 1/30th the speed). FireWire
cards are quite cheap now (less than $100, I believe), so you might as
well get one. Having got one, it will have other uses, such as video
capture from digital camcorders. You can probably even get a dual
FireWire/USB 2.0 card.

Collector»NZ

Lawrence DčOliveiro said the following on 18/12/2004 8:08 a.m.:
> In article <eWxwd.28372$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Joe Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I know nothing about iPods but I want to buy one for my son for Christmas.
>>The specifications mention FireWire 400 or USB 2.0 for connectivity. I don't
>>have FireWire and only have USB 1.

> You probably mean USB 1.1.
>

>>Will USB 1 work or do I have to buy a FireWire card for my computer?

> It should work, but very s-l-o-w-l-y (like 1/30th the speed). FireWire
> cards are quite cheap now (less than $100, I believe), so you might as
> well get one. Having got one, it will have other uses, such as video
> capture from digital camcorders. You can probably even get a dual
> FireWire/USB 2.0 card.

The trap here is to watch your PSU loading, Firewire/USB2 cards suck
juice even when no devices are connected and in several cases have put
systems bought to me with problems over the top of the PSU rating
causing those loverly hard to pin down faults.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
his toes.

Collector»NZ

Lawrence DčOliveiro said the following on 18/12/2004 8:08 a.m.:
> In article <eWxwd.28372$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Joe Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I know nothing about iPods but I want to buy one for my son for Christmas.
>>The specifications mention FireWire 400 or USB 2.0 for connectivity. I don't
>>have FireWire and only have USB 1.

> You probably mean USB 1.1.
>

>>Will USB 1 work or do I have to buy a FireWire card for my computer?

> It should work, but very s-l-o-w-l-y (like 1/30th the speed). FireWire
> cards are quite cheap now (less than $100, I believe), so you might as
> well get one. Having got one, it will have other uses, such as video
> capture from digital camcorders. You can probably even get a dual
> FireWire/USB 2.0 card.

The trap here is to watch your PSU loading, Firewire/USB2 cards suck
juice even when no devices are connected and in several cases have put
systems bought to me with problems over the top of the PSU rating
causing those loverly hard to pin down faults.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
his toes.

Dogboy

Joe Black wrote:
> Hi
>
> I know nothing about iPods but I want to buy one for my son for Christmas.
> The specifications mention FireWire 400 or USB 2.0 for connectivity. I don't
> have FireWire and only have USB 1.
>
> Will USB 1 work or do I have to buy a FireWire card for my computer?
>
> Thamks - Joe

A younger cousin of mine got an Ipod recently and I (being the family
tecchie) had the joy of installing it on the family K62-500 with only
USB 1 running Win ME.

The only major snag was getting alternative software to load songs on, I
think I used Epod or something like that. I was expecting USB 1 to
absolutely crawl on an Ipod but it was fine, a song every few seconds.

Im sure if you wanted to fill up the entire Ipod hard drive in a single
go it would take forever but just casual song uploading is fine.

--
Dogboy

Dogboy

Joe Black wrote:
> Hi
>
> I know nothing about iPods but I want to buy one for my son for Christmas.
> The specifications mention FireWire 400 or USB 2.0 for connectivity. I don't
> have FireWire and only have USB 1.
>
> Will USB 1 work or do I have to buy a FireWire card for my computer?
>
> Thamks - Joe

A younger cousin of mine got an Ipod recently and I (being the family
tecchie) had the joy of installing it on the family K62-500 with only
USB 1 running Win ME.

The only major snag was getting alternative software to load songs on, I
think I used Epod or something like that. I was expecting USB 1 to
absolutely crawl on an Ipod but it was fine, a song every few seconds.

Im sure if you wanted to fill up the entire Ipod hard drive in a single
go it would take forever but just casual song uploading is fine.

--
Dogboy

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Lawrence D?Oliveiro
wrote:
> In article <eWxwd.28372$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Joe Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I know nothing about iPods but I want to buy one for my son for
>>Christmas. The specifications mention FireWire 400 or USB 2.0 for
>>connectivity. I don't have FireWire and only have USB 1.

> You probably mean USB 1.1.
>
>>Will USB 1 work or do I have to buy a FireWire card for my computer?

> It should work, but very s-l-o-w-l-y (like 1/30th the speed). FireWire
> cards are quite cheap now (less than $100, I believe), so you might as
> well get one. Having got one, it will have other uses, such as video
> capture from digital camcorders. You can probably even get a dual
> FireWire/USB 2.0 card.

FireWire PCI card prices have come down a lot in the last couple of
years,

e.g. DSE PCI Card IEEE1394 3 Port $35
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XH8268

Dick Smith also have a combination FireWire/USB 2.0 card, as well as FW/
USB2/SATA and FW/USB2/gigabit ethernet.

http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/