Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > knoppix/HD

knoppix/HD

David

Just snatched the latest knoppix CD from JSG, and was amazed by how well
it worked and how good it looked. Are their any distros designed to be
installed that work so well (speed and HW detection) and look as good?
I have tried debian and others before, but have always been disappointed.

Chris Hope

David wrote:

> Just snatched the latest knoppix CD from JSG, and was amazed by how
> well it worked and how good it looked. Are their any distros designed
> to be installed that work so well (speed and HW detection) and look as
> good? I have tried debian and others before, but have always been
> disappointed.

As far as live CDs go there's a whole heap of them including:

mepis http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis
kanotix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kanotix
gnoppix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gnoppix

Of the three above Mepis and Kanotix also use the KDE desktop as the
default (Kanotix is based on Knoppix) and Gnoppix uses Gnome.

I'm currently in the process of setting up a site to be launched in
early January which has info and screenshots of heaps of distros but I
won't publish the address here 'cos it will probaby be seen as spamming
(it's a pay-for-the-distro-to-be-delivered-to-you site).

Chris Hope

David wrote:

> Just snatched the latest knoppix CD from JSG, and was amazed by how
> well it worked and how good it looked. Are their any distros designed
> to be installed that work so well (speed and HW detection) and look as
> good? I have tried debian and others before, but have always been
> disappointed.

As far as live CDs go there's a whole heap of them including:

mepis http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis
kanotix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kanotix
gnoppix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gnoppix

Of the three above Mepis and Kanotix also use the KDE desktop as the
default (Kanotix is based on Knoppix) and Gnoppix uses Gnome.

I'm currently in the process of setting up a site to be launched in
early January which has info and screenshots of heaps of distros but I
won't publish the address here 'cos it will probaby be seen as spamming
(it's a pay-for-the-distro-to-be-delivered-to-you site).

Alex Axolotl

David wrote:
> Just snatched the latest knoppix CD from JSG, and was amazed by how well
> it worked and how good it looked. Are their any distros designed to be
> installed that work so well (speed and HW detection) and look as good?
> I have tried debian and others before, but have always been disappointed.

Xandros has good hardware detection
Knoppix is assembled from debian packages, uses apt etc, have a look in
/etc/apt/sources.list to figure out what Klaus currently uses as the
base distro.
Knoppix also has an installer

Alex Axolotl

Chris Hope wrote:
> David wrote:
>

>>Just snatched the latest knoppix CD from JSG, and was amazed by how
>>well it worked and how good it looked. Are their any distros designed
>>to be installed that work so well (speed and HW detection) and look as
>>good? I have tried debian and others before, but have always been
>>disappointed.

> As far as live CDs go there's a whole heap of them including:
>
> mepis http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis
> kanotix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kanotix
> gnoppix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gnoppix
>
> Of the three above Mepis and Kanotix also use the KDE desktop as the
> default (Kanotix is based on Knoppix) and Gnoppix uses Gnome.
>
> I'm currently in the process of setting up a site to be launched in
> early January which has info and screenshots of heaps of distros but I
> won't publish the address here 'cos it will probaby be seen as spamming
> (it's a pay-for-the-distro-to-be-delivered-to-you site).

Sorry, I forgot to mention I was wanting a HD installed distro that
worked as well as knoppix, rather than a live cd

David

Chris Hope wrote:
> David wrote:
>

>>Just snatched the latest knoppix CD from JSG, and was amazed by how
>>well it worked and how good it looked. Are their any distros designed
>>to be installed that work so well (speed and HW detection) and look as
>>good? I have tried debian and others before, but have always been
>>disappointed.

> As far as live CDs go there's a whole heap of them including:
>
> mepis http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis
> kanotix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kanotix
> gnoppix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gnoppix
>
> Of the three above Mepis and Kanotix also use the KDE desktop as the
> default (Kanotix is based on Knoppix) and Gnoppix uses Gnome.
>
> I'm currently in the process of setting up a site to be launched in
> early January which has info and screenshots of heaps of distros but I
> won't publish the address here 'cos it will probaby be seen as spamming
> (it's a pay-for-the-distro-to-be-delivered-to-you site).

Sorry, I forgot to mention I was wanting a HD installed distro that
worked as well as knoppix, rather than a live cd

Dave - Dave.net.nz

David wrote:
>>> Just snatched the latest knoppix CD from JSG, and was amazed by how
>>> well it worked and how good it looked. Are their any distros designed
>>> to be installed that work so well (speed and HW detection) and look as
>>> good? I have tried debian and others before, but have always been
>>> disappointed.

>> As far as live CDs go there's a whole heap of them including:
>> mepis http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis
>> kanotix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kanotix
>> gnoppix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gnoppix

> Sorry, I forgot to mention I was wanting a HD installed distro that
> worked as well as knoppix, rather than a live cd

Knoppix HDinstall or Xandros are all good.

the last version of Mandrake I tried(9 I think) was pretty good, and
they usually only get better.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

David wrote:

> Chris Hope wrote:
>> David wrote:
>>

>>>Just snatched the latest knoppix CD from JSG, and was amazed by how
>>>well it worked and how good it looked. Are their any distros designed
>>>to be installed that work so well (speed and HW detection) and look
>>>as good? I have tried debian and others before, but have always been
>>>disappointed.

>> As far as live CDs go there's a whole heap of them including:
>>
>> mepis http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis
>> kanotix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kanotix
>> gnoppix http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gnoppix
>>
>> Of the three above Mepis and Kanotix also use the KDE desktop as the
>> default (Kanotix is based on Knoppix) and Gnoppix uses Gnome.
>>
>> I'm currently in the process of setting up a site to be launched in
>> early January which has info and screenshots of heaps of distros but
>> I won't publish the address here 'cos it will probaby be seen as
>> spamming (it's a pay-for-the-distro-to-be-delivered-to-you site).
>>

> Sorry, I forgot to mention I was wanting a HD installed distro that
> worked as well as knoppix, rather than a live cd

You can install Mepis to the HD after playing around with it (I've done
it myself to test it out). I'm assuming you can do the same with
Gnoppix and Kanotix as well.

The other big popular distros are Mandrake, SUSE, Fedora, Gentoo, Ubuntu
and Xandros. I think they've all got screenshots on their sites and you
can get a fair idea of the "prettiness" of the system from those,
although I'm not sure how much info they have about hardware detection
- you can get the appropriate links to their sites from distrowatch as
well.

As far as I am aware Knoppix has the best hardware detection, although
the latest versions of SUSE (9.2) and Mandrake (10.1) are supposed to
be pretty good as well.

I've used Ubuntu on my iBook (although I recently wiped that with an
install of Yellow Dog to try it out) and it seemed like a pretty nice
distro. It's also based on debian and uses the Gnome desktop. There's a
package management front end called synaptic which lets you select new
stuff to install and update.