Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Vodafone's PhoneInsure

Vodafone's PhoneInsure

Hugo

Hi all..

I've just got a brand new phone, and am thinking about going back on
Vodafone's PhoneInsure plan. It seems as though they have changed the
coverage conditions since I was last on it.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with getting lost
phones replaced? I'm a bit guilty of losing phones, so this is my
primary reason for getting coverage.

On the front of their brochure
(http://www.vodafone.co.nz/services/phone_insure.pdf), they state:

Whether it's lost, stolen or damaged, not having your mobile is a big
hassle.
With phoneInsure you can relax. Your mobile is completely covered, so
if it's lost, stolen or damaged* you'll get a replacement in next
to no time, for just $125 excess.

Sounds good so far, right?

But in the conditions, the relevant clauses for theft or loss include:

4 We do not provide you with any insurance cover for:
a) the Mobile Phone if left unattended in the open air or in any public
place;
c) not taking all reasonable precautions to prevent loss, or damage to
the Mobile
Phone;
e) theft or attempted theft of the unattended Mobile Phone from any
premises
unless there is evidence of forcible and violent entry to the premises;
g) any loss where the Mobile Phone has been left behind in an unknown
location
or you have forgotten its whereabouts.

Now, to me it seems that if my phone gets lost or stolen, they can make
a pretty good case I didn't take 'reasonable precautions' to prevent
it. After all, I don't have it any more, right?

And clause 4g) is almost the definition of 'lost'! Left behind in an
unknown location or forgotten its whereabouts? How else can I go about
losing it? Leaving it somewhere I can't possible get back to, perhaps?

Seems to me they are going a long way out of their way to make sure you
won't get a replacement phone from them.

I thought I would ask people here if they have had any bad/good
experiences with the new policy? My previous experience, about two
years ago, involved replacing a broken Nokia, bought in Hong Kong. That
was very easy, but with a 12 month warranty, I'm more concerned with
lose or theft.

Any comments would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

EMB

Hugo wrote:

> Any comments would be much appreciated!

They covered my wife's drowned phone without any hassle, but reports
from her colleagues say they are pretty bad about "lost" phones.

--
EMB

EMB

Hugo wrote:

> Any comments would be much appreciated!

They covered my wife's drowned phone without any hassle, but reports
from her colleagues say they are pretty bad about "lost" phones.

--
EMB

JohnO

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cpqsm8$8tm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hugo wrote:
> >
> > Any comments would be much appreciated!

> They covered my wife's drowned phone without any hassle, but reports
> from her colleagues say they are pretty bad about "lost" phones.
>

> --
> EMB

Ergo if it was lost, just tell them you accidentally dropped it off a boat.

JohnO

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cpqsm8$8tm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hugo wrote:
> >
> > Any comments would be much appreciated!

> They covered my wife's drowned phone without any hassle, but reports
> from her colleagues say they are pretty bad about "lost" phones.
>

> --
> EMB

Ergo if it was lost, just tell them you accidentally dropped it off a boat.

Matthias

Hugo wrote:

> I've just got a brand new phone, and am thinking about going back on
> Vodafone's PhoneInsure plan. It seems as though they have changed the
> coverage conditions since I was last on it.

> Any comments would be much appreciated!

If you have a decent contents insurance policy, your mobile phone might
already be covered. They definitely offer better value for money.

-- Matthias

Matthias

Matthias wrote:

> If you have a decent contents insurance policy, your mobile phone might
> already be covered. They definitely offer better value for money.

Maybe. My contents policy has a $500 excess (saves a load of premium).
But more importantly they will normally only pay out the "cost" of the
phone as per an invoice so if you got a $1800 phone on a contract deal
for $400 that's all they will pay. They may also depreciate the phone
(and with an expected average lifespan of 2 years that soon bites into
it's value).

--
EMB

EMB

Matthias wrote:

> If you have a decent contents insurance policy, your mobile phone might
> already be covered. They definitely offer better value for money.

Maybe. My contents policy has a $500 excess (saves a load of premium).
But more importantly they will normally only pay out the "cost" of the
phone as per an invoice so if you got a $1800 phone on a contract deal
for $400 that's all they will pay. They may also depreciate the phone
(and with an expected average lifespan of 2 years that soon bites into
it's value).

--
EMB

Arkwright

I have used it once - phone was accidentally thrown out with the rubbish!
No problems, they paid out for a new phone (less, of course $125).