Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 804. Making it dumber

Cisco 804. Making it dumber

Dustin Wyatt

I'm not a Cisco or networking guru, so forgive me if this is a stupid
question.

My internet connection is via ISDN and a Cisco 804 router. I'm
currently wanting to do some experimenting with using a Linux PC as a
router/gateway-thingamabob so I need someway to hook ISDN up to this
PC.

While I could go with an ISDN serial modem, the connection
throughput/latency is much worse than via the Cisco router. So what I
need to do is this:

ISP <---> Cisco 804 <---> Linux PC <---> LAN

I'm not quite sure how some of this would work. But I'd like to do as
much of the routing/firewalling/gatewaying duties on the PC as I can.

Suggestions?

Matt.K.Mead@gmail.com

That will work. just need 2 nics in your linux pc and do nat routing on
it as well.

I have friends who do this.

Worse case there is NAT on the 804 isdn router. IF thats the case you
get to deal with double nating 2 fake networks which will let you out
to the internet fine but don't expect to allow any inbound connections
easily.

Dustin Wyatt

> That will work. just need 2 nics in your linux pc and do nat routing on
> it as well.
>
> I have friends who do this.
>
> Worse case there is NAT on the 804 isdn router. IF thats the case you
> get to deal with double nating 2 fake networks which will let you out
> to the internet fine but don't expect to allow any inbound connections
> easily.

Is it possible to disable NAT on the 804?

I guess basically I just need the 804 to get the IP and then bridge
(not sure if this is the right terminology) it straight to the linux
PC.