Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Unable to access to XP machine from Win98SE

Unable to access to XP machine from Win98SE

Robert

ensure that you are using a username to log onto windows 98, and ensure
that same user name has permissions on the xp box. Ensure the password
matches on both boxes for the username your using, cause if your mapping
drives, you could run into problems of keeping the drives mapped after
restarting the box that has the mapped drive.

M Jones wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've 2 machines Win98SE and WinXP connected together with Actiontec wireless
> adaptors. I'm using the XP machine to connect to the net. I can browse web
> pages and newsgroups etc through ICS but I'm unable to access files/folders
> on the XP machine from the Win98 machine .
>
> When I try to browse the XP machine through network neighbourhood I get an
> error message "No permission to access resource". I've checked and made
> sure everything is shared on the XP machine and it is.
>
> I've even disabled the XP firewall. Does anybody have any idea what it
> could be?
>
> Thanks

M Jones

Hi all,

I've 2 machines Win98SE and WinXP connected together with Actiontec wireless
adaptors. I'm using the XP machine to connect to the net. I can browse web
pages and newsgroups etc through ICS but I'm unable to access files/folders
on the XP machine from the Win98 machine .

When I try to browse the XP machine through network neighbourhood I get an
error message "No permission to access resource". I've checked and made
sure everything is shared on the XP machine and it is.

I've even disabled the XP firewall. Does anybody have any idea what it
could be?

Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9vc3Q=?=

I had the same problem
My Xp machine had a newer NwCard, in other words: Faster.
I changed the autodetect-speed "off" and specified the speed of my W98
(Older) machine NwCard.
Although autodetect was what I wanted to work, it did the trick for me!

Greetings
Joost

"M Jones" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've 2 machines Win98SE and WinXP connected together with Actiontec wireless
> adaptors. I'm using the XP machine to connect to the net. I can browse web
> pages and newsgroups etc through ICS but I'm unable to access files/folders
> on the XP machine from the Win98 machine .
>
> When I try to browse the XP machine through network neighbourhood I get an
> error message "No permission to access resource". I've checked and made
> sure everything is shared on the XP machine and it is.
>
> I've even disabled the XP firewall. Does anybody have any idea what it
> could be?
>
> Thanks

Paul

I just finished fixing the same problem about two minutes ago thanks
to the following section from a MS knowledgebase:

I have all my account unpassworded in my home network and XP Pro
doesn't allow remote connection with unprotected accounts. setup an
account on both machine with the same PW, and bang I got in with file
sharing/printer sharing. Good luck.

-Blank Password Restriction

-To protect users who do not password-protect their accounts, Windows
XP -Professional accounts without passwords can only be used to log on
at the -physical computer console. By default, accounts with blank
passwords can no -longer be used to log on to the computer remotely
over the network, or for any -other logon activity except at the main
physical console logon screen. For -example, you cannot use the
secondary logon service (RunAs) to start a program -as a local user
with a blank password.

Assigning a password to a local account removes the restriction that prevents logging on over a network. It also permits that account to access any resources it is authorized to access, even over a network connection.Robert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...