Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Req: software for Imaging or backup over a network.

Req: software for Imaging or backup over a network.

Jeremy

Hi All

Can anybody make any suggestion for backup software like Norton Ghost that
will allow me to
backup clients on the network to the server. So that if any suffers a
problem I can reimage the
drive and away I go.

Jeremy

Dorado

Jeremy wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Can anybody make any suggestion for backup software like Norton Ghost
> that will allow me to
> backup clients on the network to the server. So that if any suffers a
> problem I can reimage the
> drive and away I go.
>
> Jeremy

Are you looking for alternatives to Ghost? because ghost can do that.

Gurble

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:02:53 +1300, "Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> had
this to say:

>Hi All
>
>Can anybody make any suggestion for backup software like Norton Ghost that
>will allow me to
>backup clients on the network to the server. So that if any suffers a
>problem I can reimage the
>drive and away I go.

Norton Ghost, actually.

The latest version supports on-the-fly backups.

Jeremy

Thanks Guyz

I was not aware of Ghost 9, I have ver 2003, and it hates my sata drive and
the rebooting is a pain

Cheers

Jeremy

Peter Huebner

In article <cpm6tb$80n$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Thanks Guyz
>
> I was not aware of Ghost 9, I have ver 2003, and it hates my sata drive and
> the rebooting is a pain
>

> Cheers
>
> Jeremy

The latest Nero has a backup component that will either back up files or
make a drive image. Will burn to cd, dvd, (has disk-spanning!) or to
hard drive.
I haven't tried using a network drive as source, through.

-Peter

Enkidu

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:02:53 +1300, "Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi All
>
> Can anybody make any suggestion for backup software like Norton
> Ghost that will allow me to backup clients on the network to the server.
> So that if any suffers a problem I can reimage the drive and away I go.

Um. Got a fast network have you? Re-imaging over a network could take
a long time and bring everything else to a halt. Especially if you
have old switches/hubs/routers around.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

Jeremy

Hi guys went with true image 8, I only have to image 3 comps c drives 60gig
total to a 200gig mapped drive, through 100mb network, takes 1.5hrs on Max
compression and can be scheduled to happen overnight, I read some nasty
reviews on ghost 9 with sata drives,

Thanks for all input.

Jeremy
"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:02:53 +1300, "Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi All
> >
> > Can anybody make any suggestion for backup software like Norton
> > Ghost that will allow me to backup clients on the network to the server.
> > So that if any suffers a problem I can reimage the drive and away I go.
> >

> Um. Got a fast network have you? Re-imaging over a network could take
> a long time and bring everything else to a halt. Especially if you
> have old switches/hubs/routers around.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
> --
>
> The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:
>
> http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

Jeremy

Hi guys went with true image 8, I only have to image 3 comps c drives 60gig
total to a 200gig mapped drive, through 100mb network, takes 1.5hrs on Max
compression and can be scheduled to happen overnight, I read some nasty
reviews on ghost 9 with sata drives,

Thanks for all input.

Jeremy
"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:02:53 +1300, "Jeremy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi All
> >
> > Can anybody make any suggestion for backup software like Norton
> > Ghost that will allow me to backup clients on the network to the server.
> > So that if any suffers a problem I can reimage the drive and away I go.
> >

> Um. Got a fast network have you? Re-imaging over a network could take
> a long time and bring everything else to a halt. Especially if you
> have old switches/hubs/routers around.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
> --
>
> The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:
>
> http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Jeremy wrote:
> Hi guys went with true image 8, I only have to image 3 comps c drives 60gig
> total to a 200gig mapped drive, through 100mb network, takes 1.5hrs on Max
> compression and can be scheduled to happen overnight, I read some nasty
> reviews on ghost 9 with sata drives,

I'm guessing that this is for the full image, not an incremental?

Dave - Dave.net.nz