Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > infected file

infected file

Ronnie H

A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected with
PE TROJANPROXY.A. When I try to delete the file, a message comes up saying
it can't be deleted because it's in use. When I use Task Manager to end the
svchost process, the machine closes down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
--
Policy as if outcomes mattered
http://SocialGoals.com

EMB

Ronnie H wrote:
> A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected with
> PE TROJANPROXY.A. When I try to delete the file, a message comes up saying
> it can't be deleted because it's in use. When I use Task Manager to end the
> svchost process, the machine closes down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Restart in safe mode and try deleting it.

--
EMB

Dave - Dave.net.nz

EMB wrote:
>> A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected
>> with
>> PE TROJANPROXY.A.

> Restart in safe mode and try deleting it.

personally I'd be more likely to suggest restarting in safe mode and
scanning from there.

what AV are you using?
you could try another, maybe your current one simply doesnt know how to
remove it, but others might.

Adder

In article <EBnvd.27476$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Tue, 14
Dec 2004 10:13:24 +1300, Ronnie H <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected with
> PE TROJANPROXY.A. When I try to delete the file, a message comes up saying
> it can't be deleted because it's in use. When I use Task Manager to end the
> svchost process, the machine closes down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

svchost is part of windows.

Invisible

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:31:20 +1300, Adder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <EBnvd.27476$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Tue, 14
>Dec 2004 10:13:24 +1300, Ronnie H <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
>> A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected with
>> PE TROJANPROXY.A. When I try to delete the file, a message comes up saying
>> it can't be deleted because it's in use. When I use Task Manager to end the
>> svchost process, the machine closes down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

>svchost is part of windows.

svchostc.exe isn't. I cleaned a similar one last week. Check if it's starting in
msconfig, disable it, then nuke it from safe mode.

Aspiringpsychopath

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:29:08 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ronnie H wrote:
>> A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected with
>> PE TROJANPROXY.A. When I try to delete the file, a message comes up saying
>> it can't be deleted because it's in use. When I use Task Manager to end the
>> svchost process, the machine closes down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

>Restart in safe mode and try deleting it.

Its a System file you just can't delete it..

Invisible

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:34:07 +1300, Aspiringpsychopath
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:29:08 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Ronnie H wrote:
>>> A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected with
>>> PE TROJANPROXY.A. When I try to delete the file, a message comes up saying
>>> it can't be deleted because it's in use. When I use Task Manager to end the
>>> svchost process, the machine closes down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

>>Restart in safe mode and try deleting it.

>Its a System file you just can't delete it..

svchostc.exe is NOT a system file.
^

GraB

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:29:08 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Ronnie H wrote:
>>> A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected with
>>> PE TROJANPROXY.A. When I try to delete the file, a message comes up saying
>>> it can't be deleted because it's in use. When I use Task Manager to end the
>>> svchost process, the machine closes down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

>>Restart in safe mode and try deleting it.

>Its a System file you just can't delete it..

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...door.zinx.html

http://tinyurl.com/4ku8w

Ronnie H

Thanks to all respondents. I deleted the file easily from safe mode; and it
doesn't seem to come back on restart. I have been using Trend Micro's online
free scanner, which is updated frequently. R
"Ronnie H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EBnvd.27476$(E-Mail Removed)...
> A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected with
> PE TROJANPROXY.A. When I try to delete the file, a message comes up saying
> it can't be deleted because it's in use. When I use Task Manager to end

the
> svchost process, the machine closes down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
> --
> Policy as if outcomes mattered
> http://SocialGoals.com

Enkidu

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:31:20 +1300, Adder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <EBnvd.27476$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Tue, 14
>Dec 2004 10:13:24 +1300, Ronnie H <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
>> A scan of my hard drive reveals that my file svchostc.exe is infected with
>> PE TROJANPROXY.A. When I try to delete the file, a message comes up saying
>> it can't be deleted because it's in use. When I use Task Manager to end the
>> svchost process, the machine closes down. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

>svchost is part of windows.

The virus/trojan drops a second copy onto the system.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html