Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > PC's and Food/Drink Manufacturers

PC's and Food/Drink Manufacturers

#

Thank goodness that PC spec trends don't follow those of food and drink
manufacturers.

Otherwise we would get similar situations to the following being introduced
without notification or any change in price (and often accompanied by "new
design" packaging).

Old system:
P4 3.0GHz
512MB RAM
80GB HDD
Radeon AGP Graphics

New Improved Flavour Flashy Graphics system:
Celeron D 2.4GHz
512MB RAM (Shared)
60GB HDD
Integrated Graphics

.... then wait six months for another product line adjustment to see the
specs reduced yet again.

thing

# wrote:
> Thank goodness that PC spec trends don't follow those of food and drink
> manufacturers.
>
> Otherwise we would get similar situations to the following being introduced
> without notification or any change in price (and often accompanied by "new
> design" packaging).
>
> Old system:
> P4 3.0GHz
> 512MB RAM
> 80GB HDD
> Radeon AGP Graphics
>
> New Improved Flavour Flashy Graphics system:
> Celeron D 2.4GHz
> 512MB RAM (Shared)
> 60GB HDD
> Integrated Graphics
>
> ... then wait six months for another product line adjustment to see the
> specs reduced yet again.

Yes I have noticed this as well....

So called "Brands" improving their product, more like improving their
bottom line...

regards

Thing

Waylon Kenning

It seems like Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:41:49 +1300 was when thing
<(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...

>So called "Brands" improving their product, more like improving their
>bottom line...

I was thinking about this the other day. Like washing powder
'concentrate'. Only need half a cup now, that's twice the
concentration! So you mean to tell me that before I used to be using
half the concentration? What the hell was the rest of the stuff I was
buying? Hopes and dreams?

When things are recently improved to be more powerful, that makes me
wonder why they were less powerful in the first place.
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

A L P

Waylon Kenning wrote:

> Like washing powder
> 'concentrate'. Only need half a cup now, that's twice the
> concentration! So you mean to tell me that before I used to be using
> half the concentration? What the hell was the rest of the stuff I was
> buying? Hopes and dreams?
>
> When things are recently improved to be more powerful, that makes me
> wonder why they were less powerful in the first place.

Inert fillers make it look as if you've got a "good buy", and possibly
people wouldn't have believed that "only half a cup" would be enough to
wash their clothes really clean, not when they were still comparing
specially formulated clothes-washing detergents with soap powder. Once
they've got used to detergent somebody in one company clicked that there
would be considerable savings in transport if they could find a way to
stop selling the inert component. "Aha! Twice as Powerful!" The
marketing division went into such an orgy of self-congratulation a vet
had to be called to administer tranquillizer darts all round. "Thank
goodness I went to the trouble and expense of doing my MBA," said the
divisional head as he sank into unconsciousness.

A L P

A L P

Waylon Kenning wrote:

> Like washing powder
> 'concentrate'. Only need half a cup now, that's twice the
> concentration! So you mean to tell me that before I used to be using
> half the concentration? What the hell was the rest of the stuff I was
> buying? Hopes and dreams?
>
> When things are recently improved to be more powerful, that makes me
> wonder why they were less powerful in the first place.

Inert fillers make it look as if you've got a "good buy", and possibly
people wouldn't have believed that "only half a cup" would be enough to
wash their clothes really clean, not when they were still comparing
specially formulated clothes-washing detergents with soap powder. Once
they've got used to detergent somebody in one company clicked that there
would be considerable savings in transport if they could find a way to
stop selling the inert component. "Aha! Twice as Powerful!" The
marketing division went into such an orgy of self-congratulation a vet
had to be called to administer tranquillizer darts all round. "Thank
goodness I went to the trouble and expense of doing my MBA," said the
divisional head as he sank into unconsciousness.

A L P

Tarla

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:34:06 +1300, A L P wrote:

> Inert fillers make it look as if you've got a "good buy", and possibly
> people wouldn't have believed that "only half a cup" would be enough to
> wash their clothes really clean, not when they were still comparing
> specially formulated clothes-washing detergents with soap powder. Once
> they've got used to detergent somebody in one company clicked that there
> would be considerable savings in transport if they could find a way to
> stop selling the inert component. "Aha! Twice as Powerful!" The
> marketing division went into such an orgy of self-congratulation a vet
> had to be called to administer tranquillizer darts all round. "Thank
> goodness I went to the trouble and expense of doing my MBA," said the
> divisional head as he sank into unconsciousness.

Persil's gone an ****ed me off. They used to have these tablets that you
could just toss in. Two tablets per regular load, easy peasy. But I guess
not enough people were wasting soap powder that way, so the tablets are now
gone (at least in my store). It's a simple thing, I know, but it's
irritating to have to measure or guess.

Tarla

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:34:06 +1300, A L P wrote:

> Inert fillers make it look as if you've got a "good buy", and possibly
> people wouldn't have believed that "only half a cup" would be enough to
> wash their clothes really clean, not when they were still comparing
> specially formulated clothes-washing detergents with soap powder. Once
> they've got used to detergent somebody in one company clicked that there
> would be considerable savings in transport if they could find a way to
> stop selling the inert component. "Aha! Twice as Powerful!" The
> marketing division went into such an orgy of self-congratulation a vet
> had to be called to administer tranquillizer darts all round. "Thank
> goodness I went to the trouble and expense of doing my MBA," said the
> divisional head as he sank into unconsciousness.

Persil's gone an ****ed me off. They used to have these tablets that you
could just toss in. Two tablets per regular load, easy peasy. But I guess
not enough people were wasting soap powder that way, so the tablets are now
gone (at least in my store). It's a simple thing, I know, but it's
irritating to have to measure or guess.

Alex Axolotl

Waylon Kenning wrote:
> It seems like Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:41:49 +1300 was when thing
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...
>

>>So called "Brands" improving their product, more like improving their
>>bottom line...

> I was thinking about this the other day. Like washing powder
> 'concentrate'. Only need half a cup now, that's twice the
> concentration! So you mean to tell me that before I used to be using
> half the concentration? What the hell was the rest of the stuff I was
> buying? Hopes and dreams?
>
> When things are recently improved to be more powerful, that makes me
> wonder why they were less powerful in the first place.

Yeah those damn 486s were a big con weren't they ?
And what about those sticks of EDO memory.

Alex Axolotl

Waylon Kenning wrote:
> It seems like Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:41:49 +1300 was when thing
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...
>

>>So called "Brands" improving their product, more like improving their
>>bottom line...

> I was thinking about this the other day. Like washing powder
> 'concentrate'. Only need half a cup now, that's twice the
> concentration! So you mean to tell me that before I used to be using
> half the concentration? What the hell was the rest of the stuff I was
> buying? Hopes and dreams?
>
> When things are recently improved to be more powerful, that makes me
> wonder why they were less powerful in the first place.

Yeah those damn 486s were a big con weren't they ?
And what about those sticks of EDO memory.

winkle

it's true about the washing powders getting "stronger"... but as far as i
can gather the filler was normally paper pulp, used as a starch
substitute... to make your clothes stiff? and now they probably started
using other "starch" type substances...

bloody good idea though, buy my stronger powder... buy a Sempron.