Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xandros 3.0 Linux: so far so good.

Xandros 3.0 Linux: so far so good.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>[Java] is used for a hell of a lot in our business.
>some of it very poorly designed(IM not so HO), but still used frequently.
>
>Arent there contiunuous rumours that Sun will open(source) Java?

Probably too late now. There are already open-source implementations,
that's not the issue. The problem is that the standard is not an open
one, administered by a vendor-independent body like the IEEE, ISO, ECMA
or whatever. Instead, Sun still retains ultimate control, and you can't
have an open standard work that way.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>[Java] is used for a hell of a lot in our business.
>some of it very poorly designed(IM not so HO), but still used frequently.
>
>Arent there contiunuous rumours that Sun will open(source) Java?

Probably too late now. There are already open-source implementations,
that's not the issue. The problem is that the standard is not an open
one, administered by a vendor-independent body like the IEEE, ISO, ECMA
or whatever. Instead, Sun still retains ultimate control, and you can't
have an open standard work that way.

Gordon

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:37:11 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> I've been an MVP for about a year. I got it for helping out in the
> newsgroups. I didn't get it for being a MS evangelist, which is good
> because I tend to support MS in other environments (eg Linux) and
> Linux when I see stupid attacks in MS environments.

Ah, personal choice and freedom. Agreed that these are required. I hope
all computer users understand this concept.

> I actually currently work in an all Linux environment.

Huh? Lets try, I work in a Linux environment. Ah now that makes sense to
me

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:04:46 +1300, AD. wrote:

> These days I'll defend MS products if the argument against them is
> appallingly ignorant (eg Lennier).

Whoa! Lets try, Lennier's viewpoint.

Gordon

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:04:46 +1300, AD. wrote:

> These days I'll defend MS products if the argument against them is
> appallingly ignorant (eg Lennier).

Whoa! Lets try, Lennier's viewpoint.

AD.

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:56:32 +1300, Gordon wrote:

> Whoa! Lets try, Lennier's viewpoint.

Hmmm... having a bit of trouble parsing that one. Maybe you need some more
anthropomorphic penguins in there

Lenniers understanding of Windows systems has about the same clarity and
accuracy as Patricks understanding of Linux.

Cheers
Anton

AD.

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:56:32 +1300, Gordon wrote:

> Whoa! Lets try, Lennier's viewpoint.

Hmmm... having a bit of trouble parsing that one. Maybe you need some more
anthropomorphic penguins in there

Lenniers understanding of Windows systems has about the same clarity and
accuracy as Patricks understanding of Linux.

Cheers
Anton

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:37:11 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> I actually currently work in an all Linux environment.

>Huh? Lets try, I work in a Linux environment. Ah now that makes sense to
>me

I work in a Linux environment. Which is also a Mac environment. And,
depending on the client, also a Windows environment and sometimes a UNIX
environment. What Cliff is saying is that his environment is
all-Linux--no Windows or anything else. That's what "all" means.

Lawrence DčOliveiro