Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Internet parental control software recommendation?

Internet parental control software recommendation?

Dany P. Wu

Hi everyone,

I'm helping a friend set up a comp for their kids to use. One of the issues
that came up was the parental control on Internet access.

Can someone recommend a good free software to use? The computer is running
Windows XP. I know the two criteria - "free" and "good" may be mutually
exclusive but it's worth a try.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dany.

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:05:40 +1300, "Dany P. Wu"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm helping a friend set up a comp for their kids to use. One of the issues
> that came up was the parental control on Internet access.
>
> Can someone recommend a good free software to use? The computer is running
> Windows XP. I know the two criteria - "free" and "good" may be mutually
> exclusive but it's worth a try.
>
> Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

The best, cheapest and only really effective form of parental control of
internet access is called "parental involvement and supervision." There
is NO substitute.

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

....Opening the mind can open the heart. Opening the heart can open the
mind.

Thor

Around Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:05 Dany P. Wu wittered of :

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm helping a friend set up a comp for their kids to use. One of the
> issues that came up was the parental control on Internet access.
>
> Can someone recommend a good free software to use? The computer is running
> Windows XP. I know the two criteria - "free" and "good" may be mutually
> exclusive but it's worth a try.
>
> Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

Put the computer in the lounge/living room rather than the kids bedroom,
it's amazing the amount of parental control and actual parent in the same
room has. I mean this seriously, it's costs nothing and is 100% effective.

Dany P. Wu

news:cph0ht$99c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Around Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:05 Dany P. Wu wittered of :
>> Hi everyone,
>> I'm helping a friend set up a comp for their kids to use. One of the
>> issues that came up was the parental control on Internet access.
>> Can someone recommend a good free software to use? The computer is
>> running Windows XP. I know the two criteria - "free" and "good" may be
>> mutually exclusive but it's worth a try.
>> Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>> Cheers,
>> Dany.

> Put the computer in the lounge/living room rather than the kids bedroom,
> it's amazing the amount of parental control and actual parent in the same
> room has. I mean this seriously, it's costs nothing and is 100% effective.

Thanks - we've thought about this, at the end of which they would like to
try having software as backup.

So, back to the original question - suggestions of software packages please?

D.

Thor

Around Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:00 Dany P. Wu wittered of :

> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cph0ht$99c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Around Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:05 Dany P. Wu wittered of :
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> I'm helping a friend set up a comp for their kids to use. One of the
>>> issues that came up was the parental control on Internet access.
>>> Can someone recommend a good free software to use? The computer is
>>> running Windows XP. I know the two criteria - "free" and "good" may be
>>> mutually exclusive but it's worth a try.
>>> Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Dany.

>> Put the computer in the lounge/living room rather than the kids bedroom,
>> it's amazing the amount of parental control and actual parent in the same
>> room has. I mean this seriously, it's costs nothing and is 100%
>> effective.

> Thanks - we've thought about this, at the end of which they would like to
> try having software as backup.
>
> So, back to the original question - suggestions of software packages
> please?
>
> D.

Don't use any, have never used any...My kids have grown up with computers, I
know more about them than they do, have made sure I do, they know I can
crack anything they put there. They know that if they put anything there
that I can't crack, I'll take the easy way out and wipe their hard drive,
never had to do it for that reason but the option is there.

R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Dany P.
Wu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So, back to the original question - suggestions of software packages please?

I've never used any, but you could start here:
<http://www.download.com/sort/3150-2162_4-0-1-3.html?li=49>
--
R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.

Jax

Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:05:40 +1300, "Dany P. Wu"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <news:(E-Mail Removed)>:
>

>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>I'm helping a friend set up a comp for their kids to use. One of the issues
>>that came up was the parental control on Internet access.
>>
>>Can someone recommend a good free software to use? The computer is running
>>Windows XP. I know the two criteria - "free" and "good" may be mutually
>>exclusive but it's worth a try.
>>
>>Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://dansguardian.org/

Coupled with smoothwall or Ipcop... something like that

-=[Waylon Smithers]=-

> Thanks - we've thought about this, at the end of which they would like to
> try having software as backup.
>
> So, back to the original question - suggestions of software packages please?

Norton Internet Security - NIS - comes with a parental control software.
Software controlled with auto updates from Symantec, you'll also get a
good firewall and anti virus while having the parental control.

By the time you add Firefox with Adware you'll have a fairly robust
option. Plus the usual auto running SpyBot, and educating the kids to
not click on everything they see and you should be ok. Some ISP's also
offer parental filters on email, etc.

As an aside, trust with kids is a big thing and works both ways.

Jax

Dany P. Wu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm helping a friend set up a comp for their kids to use. One of the issues
> that came up was the parental control on Internet access.
>
> Can someone recommend a good free software to use? The computer is running
> Windows XP. I know the two criteria - "free" and "good" may be mutually
> exclusive but it's worth a try.
>
> Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Dany.

http://www.xtra.co.nz/broadband/0,,1...06-300,00.html

Dave Taylor

"Dany P. Wu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Can someone recommend a good free software to use?

Try Eric Howes block list?
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/

--
Ciao, Dave