Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Norton Speed Disk Won't Exit

Norton Speed Disk Won't Exit

Steve

Hi,

I have a problem that is part my stupidity and part Norton's stupidity that
I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with. After a hard disk meltdown
and a new install of XP and all my apps etc, I decided it was time for a
defrag. Fired up Norton's Speed Disk, started an optimisation and then
decided better of it, realising there were a couple of more things I wanted
to do first. I clicked the x in the top right corner to close it and was
presented with a dialog box asking (something like) if I wanted to stop the
defrag, run it in the background or cancel. There was also a tick box
labelled 'never ask me this again' (or something similar). Well, I thought,
I want it to stop and I'll always want it to stop if I'm exiting the
program. So I quickly ticked the box labelled 'never ask me again' and
clicked stop. At which point Speed Disk disappeared and I assumed it had
stopped. Apart from the hard disk access. And the Speed Disk process running
in the Task Manager. So, I started up Speed Disk again, only to find it was
still chugging away with the defrag I had assumed I had stopped. Silly me
for assuming the 'never ask me again' option would apply my choice as the
default action. Now I can't exit Speed Disk properly (so to speak) if there
are defrags running and I find this annoying.
I've looked all through the options, google'd, checked google groups, looked
on Symantec's site and can find nothing. If anyone can help me out that'd be
great. Sorry if this rambled, it's late (for me at least).

Cheers,

Steve

xlo

Steve wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem that is part my stupidity and part Norton's stupidity that
> I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with. After a hard disk meltdown
> and a new install of XP and all my apps etc, I decided it was time for a
> defrag. Fired up Norton's Speed Disk, started an optimisation and then
> decided better of it, realising there were a couple of more things I wanted
> to do first. I clicked the x in the top right corner to close it and was
> presented with a dialog box asking (something like) if I wanted to stop the
> defrag, run it in the background or cancel. There was also a tick box
> labelled 'never ask me this again' (or something similar). Well, I thought,
> I want it to stop and I'll always want it to stop if I'm exiting the
> program. So I quickly ticked the box labelled 'never ask me again' and
> clicked stop. At which point Speed Disk disappeared and I assumed it had
> stopped. Apart from the hard disk access. And the Speed Disk process running
> in the Task Manager. So, I started up Speed Disk again, only to find it was
> still chugging away with the defrag I had assumed I had stopped. Silly me
> for assuming the 'never ask me again' option would apply my choice as the
> default action. Now I can't exit Speed Disk properly (so to speak) if there
> are defrags running and I find this annoying.
> I've looked all through the options, google'd, checked google groups, looked
> on Symantec's site and can find nothing. If anyone can help me out that'd be
> great. Sorry if this rambled, it's late (for me at least).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve

Usually the "Don't show again" dialog box settings are stored in the
registry.
I don't have Norton, so can't look for you, but if you look under the
program's settings in HKLM (and also HKCU) the key should be fairly
obvious. MS seem to even use an obvious key name "Don't show dialogs".
Usually the setting is a Dword value, 1 or 0, where 1 is True, O is false.

Steve

"xlo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Steve wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a problem that is part my stupidity and part Norton's stupidity
>> that I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with. After a hard disk
>> meltdown and a new install of XP and all my apps etc, I decided it was
>> time for a defrag. Fired up Norton's Speed Disk, started an optimisation
>> and then decided better of it, realising there were a couple of more
>> things I wanted to do first. I clicked the x in the top right corner to
>> close it and was presented with a dialog box asking (something like) if I
>> wanted to stop the defrag, run it in the background or cancel. There was
>> also a tick box labelled 'never ask me this again' (or something
>> similar). Well, I thought, I want it to stop and I'll always want it to
>> stop if I'm exiting the program. So I quickly ticked the box labelled
>> 'never ask me again' and clicked stop. At which point Speed Disk
>> disappeared and I assumed it had stopped. Apart from the hard disk
>> access. And the Speed Disk process running in the Task Manager. So, I
>> started up Speed Disk again, only to find it was still chugging away with
>> the defrag I had assumed I had stopped. Silly me for assuming the 'never
>> ask me again' option would apply my choice as the default action. Now I
>> can't exit Speed Disk properly (so to speak) if there are defrags running
>> and I find this annoying.
>> I've looked all through the options, google'd, checked google groups,
>> looked on Symantec's site and can find nothing. If anyone can help me out
>> that'd be great. Sorry if this rambled, it's late (for me at least).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Steve
>>

> Usually the "Don't show again" dialog box settings are stored in the
> registry.
> I don't have Norton, so can't look for you, but if you look under the
> program's settings in HKLM (and also HKCU) the key should be fairly
> obvious. MS seem to even use an obvious key name "Don't show dialogs".
> Usually the setting is a Dword value, 1 or 0, where 1 is True, O is false.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. After much digging around I finally found it and
it's now all good.
If anyone else wants to know, it's stored in
'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Speed Disk\Local Settings' and the
relevant value is 'DontDisplayStopDrivePrompt'.

Cheers,

Steve

xlo

Steve wrote:

> "xlo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>Steve wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I have a problem that is part my stupidity and part Norton's stupidity
>>>that I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with. After a hard disk
>>>meltdown and a new install of XP and all my apps etc, I decided it was
>>>time for a defrag. Fired up Norton's Speed Disk, started an optimisation
>>>and then decided better of it, realising there were a couple of more
>>>things I wanted to do first. I clicked the x in the top right corner to
>>>close it and was presented with a dialog box asking (something like) if I
>>>wanted to stop the defrag, run it in the background or cancel. There was
>>>also a tick box labelled 'never ask me this again' (or something
>>>similar). Well, I thought, I want it to stop and I'll always want it to
>>>stop if I'm exiting the program. So I quickly ticked the box labelled
>>>'never ask me again' and clicked stop. At which point Speed Disk
>>>disappeared and I assumed it had stopped. Apart from the hard disk
>>>access. And the Speed Disk process running in the Task Manager. So, I
>>>started up Speed Disk again, only to find it was still chugging away with
>>>the defrag I had assumed I had stopped. Silly me for assuming the 'never
>>>ask me again' option would apply my choice as the default action. Now I
>>>can't exit Speed Disk properly (so to speak) if there are defrags running
>>>and I find this annoying.
>>>I've looked all through the options, google'd, checked google groups,
>>>looked on Symantec's site and can find nothing. If anyone can help me out
>>>that'd be great. Sorry if this rambled, it's late (for me at least).
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>
>>>Steve
>>>

>>Usually the "Don't show again" dialog box settings are stored in the
>>registry.
>>I don't have Norton, so can't look for you, but if you look under the
>>program's settings in HKLM (and also HKCU) the key should be fairly
>>obvious. MS seem to even use an obvious key name "Don't show dialogs".
>>Usually the setting is a Dword value, 1 or 0, where 1 is True, O is false.

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. After much digging around I finally found it and
> it's now all good.
> If anyone else wants to know, it's stored in
> 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Speed Disk\Local Settings' and the
> relevant value is 'DontDisplayStopDrivePrompt'.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve

Don't know about Norton, but there is plenty of software made by people
daft enough not to document stuff like that, and sometimes worse in that
the uninstaller doesn't delete registry entries, meaning that the
average user is stuffed - as uninstalling / reinstalling won't fix the
problem.