Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Changing power schemes in XP

Changing power schemes in XP

Ray Greene

I've just discovered that I can't save any changes to power schemes in XP Pro
while logged on as a user. Changing schemes as administrator doesn't change
the scheme for other users.

How do I do this?

Ray Greene.

Mr Bond

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:28:20 +1300, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've just discovered that I can't save any changes to power schemes in XP Pro
>while logged on as a user. Changing schemes as administrator doesn't change
>the scheme for other users.
>
>How do I do this?
>
>Ray Greene.

How about giving the user administrator rights temporarily?

Control panel/users and passwords/User properties/group membership or
thereabouts.

Ray Greene

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:56:39 +1300, Mr Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:28:20 +1300, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I've just discovered that I can't save any changes to power schemes in XP Pro
>>while logged on as a user. Changing schemes as administrator doesn't change
>>the scheme for other users.
>>
>>How do I do this?
>>
>>Ray Greene.

>How about giving the user administrator rights temporarily?
>
>Control panel/users and passwords/User properties/group membership or
>thereabouts.

I did think of that, but I thought that there must be a better way. It seems
like a messy way to change a user's settings.

By the way, the machine is actually running Win 2000, not XP.

Ray Greene.

Ray Greene

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:28:20 +1300, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've just discovered that I can't save any changes to power schemes in XP Pro
>while logged on as a user. Changing schemes as administrator doesn't change
>the scheme for other users.

I made a mistake there, it's running Windows 2000, not XP.

Ray Greene.

Ray Greene

OK, I found an answer on Google by an MS tech. It can be done by changing the
default user settings, or by modifying the registry as detailed below.
I think MS could have made this a bit easier...

Ray Greene.
Modify the security on the registry key which will then allow normal users
to modify the power scheme:

REGEDT32,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Controls
Folder\PowerCfg then Security | Permissions, give Authenticated Users Full
Control.

John

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:28:20 +1300, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've just discovered that I can't save any changes to power schemes in XP Pro
>while logged on as a user. Changing schemes as administrator doesn't change
>the scheme for other users.
>
>How do I do this?

Give the users rights to do so themselves....

Ray Greene

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:15:24 +1300, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:28:20 +1300, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I've just discovered that I can't save any changes to power schemes in XP Pro
>>while logged on as a user. Changing schemes as administrator doesn't change
>>the scheme for other users.
>>
>>How do I do this?
>>

>Give the users rights to do so themselves....

Where exactly do you do this?

Ray Greene.

Mr Scebe

"Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cp3e6f$lb0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, I found an answer on Google by an MS tech. It can be done by changing

the
> default user settings, or by modifying the registry as detailed below.
> I think MS could have made this a bit easier...
>
> Ray Greene.
> ================================================== ====
> Modify the security on the registry key which will then allow normal users
> to modify the power scheme:
>
> REGEDT32,
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Controls
> Folder\PowerCfg then Security | Permissions, give Authenticated Users Full
> Control.

You should be able to put that into a logon (or GPO) script.

--
Mr Scebe
~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Ray Greene wrote:
>>How about giving the user administrator rights temporarily?
>>Control panel/users and passwords/User properties/group membership or
>>thereabouts.

> I did think of that, but I thought that there must be a better way. It seems
> like a messy way to change a user's settings.

I use the same method to install Palm Pilot software... the good thing
about it is that once they set it, the don't have the ability to change
the settings

> By the way, the machine is actually running Win 2000, not XP.

basically the same method... just less pretty colours.

Public registry for unprefixed XPointer schemes launched by W3C Henry S. Thompson XML 0 11-18-2005 07:41 PM
Marking schemes for exams Don Carter MCSD 1 02-23-2005 09:19 PM
get user color schemes jorge HTML 3 09-04-2004 07:40 PM
Power schemes Patrick Dunford NZ Computing 1 08-10-2004 08:59 AM
Can sound schemes be imported into XPHome? JMI Computer Support 0 10-11-2003 08:47 PM

Advertisments