Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > can the SB Audigy 2 be configured for 2 stereo outputs?

can the SB Audigy 2 be configured for 2 stereo outputs?

Glenn

Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound blaster
audigy 2 card?

There are 3 outputs for when using a 5.1 speaker system, but I just want
to have a pair of stereo speakers by the computer, and the same stereo
audio running to the TV.

If I try and use any of the other speaker outputs there is nothing
there, all the audio only comes from speaker output no.1

Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
tweaked to do this?

The only program I have for controlling the sound card is the Creative
surround mixer. I suspect there are more applications for this card that
I don't have, to allow greater configuration.

thing

Glenn wrote:
> Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound blaster
> audigy 2 card?
>
> There are 3 outputs for when using a 5.1 speaker system, but I just want
> to have a pair of stereo speakers by the computer, and the same stereo
> audio running to the TV.
>
> If I try and use any of the other speaker outputs there is nothing
> there, all the audio only comes from speaker output no.1
>
> Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
> tweaked to do this?
>
> The only program I have for controlling the sound card is the Creative
> surround mixer. I suspect there are more applications for this card that
> I don't have, to allow greater configuration.

You have an OEM? sounds very short on software.

If you dont have a tape unit and tape monitor/record outputs on the
hi-fi then you could feed the TV from there.

regards

Thing

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Glenn wrote:
> Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound blaster
> audigy 2 card?

> Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
> tweaked to do this?

If it's software is in anyway similar to the Live, then you may be able
to set it up for simulated 4 speaker surround or similar... which gives
you stereo front and rear... however I've never noticed it actually
work(front/rear wise).

Glenn

thing wrote:
> Glenn wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound
>> blaster audigy 2 card?
>>
>> There are 3 outputs for when using a 5.1 speaker system, but I just
>> want to have a pair of stereo speakers by the computer, and the same
>> stereo audio running to the TV.
>>
>> If I try and use any of the other speaker outputs there is nothing
>> there, all the audio only comes from speaker output no.1
>>
>> Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
>> tweaked to do this?
>>
>> The only program I have for controlling the sound card is the Creative
>> surround mixer. I suspect there are more applications for this card
>> that I don't have, to allow greater configuration.

> You have an OEM? sounds very short on software.

No I bought it as a creative product, just I misplaced the CD that came
with the card. Doh!

> If you dont have a tape unit and tape monitor/record outputs on the
> hi-fi then you could feed the TV from there.

Im running the no.1 speaker output into a pair of cheap computer
speakers, rather than a hi-fi, so I can get an output feed.

> regards
>
> Thing

What I was doing previously was putting a stereo splitter cable on the
no.1 speaker output on the sound card to create two outputs, but this
cable has gone faulty. The TV is a high impedance input, so I figured it
shouldn't load the no.1 speaker output too badly.

I figured since I have 3 stereo outputs I might as well try and use them.

Glenn

Glenn

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Glenn wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound
>> blaster audigy 2 card?

>> Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
>> tweaked to do this?

> If it's software is in anyway similar to the Live, then you may be able
> to set it up for simulated 4 speaker surround or similar... which gives
> you stereo front and rear... however I've never noticed it actually
> work(front/rear wise).

If I have simulated 4 speaker surround, will it have different signals
going to the front and rear, to create the surround effect?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Glenn wrote:
>>> Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound
>>> blaster audigy 2 card?
>>> Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
>>> tweaked to do this?

>> If it's software is in anyway similar to the Live, then you may be
>> able to set it up for simulated 4 speaker surround or similar... which
>> gives you stereo front and rear... however I've never noticed it
>> actually work(front/rear wise).

> If I have simulated 4 speaker surround, will it have different signals
> going to the front and rear, to create the surround effect?

I assume that it is meant to, but it doesn't appear to.

Glenn

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>> If it's software is in anyway similar to the Live, then you may be
>>> able to set it up for simulated 4 speaker surround or similar...
>>> which gives you stereo front and rear... however I've never noticed
>>> it actually work(front/rear wise).

>> If I have simulated 4 speaker surround, will it have different signals
>> going to the front and rear, to create the surround effect?

> I assume that it is meant to, but it doesn't appear to.

I see, that's what you meant by "however I've never noticed it actually
work(front/rear wise)."

That would be good option then. Do you know what the application was
called that you could choose "simulated 4 speaker surround" with on the
SB live?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Glenn wrote:
>>> If I have simulated 4 speaker surround, will it have different
>>> signals going to the front and rear, to create the surround effect?

>> I assume that it is meant to, but it doesn't appear to.

> I see, that's what you meant by "however I've never noticed it actually
> work(front/rear wise)."

yep, thats what I meant.

> That would be good option then. Do you know what the application was
> called that you could choose "simulated 4 speaker surround" with on the
> SB live?

no sorry, I no longer use Windows on that machine, so no idea... I think
it was simply in the speaker setup, as in control panel, sound and
audio, and then speaker setup or similar.

Folk

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:24:13 +1300, Glenn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>That would be good option then. Do you know what the application was
>called that you could choose "simulated 4 speaker surround" with on the
>SB live?

Can't you get that by using the Windows Control Panel "Sounds and
Multimedia" applet?

Glenn

Folk wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:24:13 +1300, Glenn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>That would be good option then. Do you know what the application was
>>called that you could choose "simulated 4 speaker surround" with on the
>>SB live?

> Can't you get that by using the Windows Control Panel "Sounds and
> Multimedia" applet?

I couldn't see the option under windows XP. You can select the speaker
type, such as desktop stereo speakers but nothing for a 4 speaker setup.

I found that creative have an application called "Creative Speaker
Settings" which I figured might help a lot. But unfortunately when I try
and run it I get a message that no sound card detected, even the sound
card is running fine with the creative driver installed.

Searching google I found advice to disable my on-board sound card (it
was already disabled in the bios) and disable Plug and play in the bios
(it was enabled so I disabled it) I uninstalled the driver and installed
the latest driver off the creative site, which didn't complain about not
have a compatible sound card, and then tried installing Creative Speaker
Settings, but once again had the same problem.

I managed to track down the original SB Audigy CD, so I uninstalled the
driver and tried using the CD, and again I got the no sound card
detected message.