Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Talking of firewalls . .

Talking of firewalls . .

GraB

December's APC mag has a bootable DVD which loads SmoothWall Express
2.0 on a spare PC (totally erasing all data on that drive). I don't
have a spare PC at the moment but would be interested in hearing
recommendations on sort of hardware that would be suitable.

I take it that it would be overkill for dial-up?

Collector»NZ

GraB said the following on 7/12/2004 12:27 a.m.:
> December's APC mag has a bootable DVD which loads SmoothWall Express
> 2.0 on a spare PC (totally erasing all data on that drive). I don't
> have a spare PC at the moment but would be interested in hearing
> recommendations on sort of hardware that would be suitable.
>
> I take it that it would be overkill for dial-up?

I like Smoothwall, had it running on a P166 with 20Gig hdd and OTT ram
of 128M.
I had three nics running a DMZ for my web server, local network and ADSL
for connection.
Smoothwall is probably OTT for dial up but its worth playing with just
to understand what a real firewall can do.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
his toes.

GraB

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:27:18 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>December's APC mag has a bootable DVD which loads SmoothWall Express
>2.0 on a spare PC (totally erasing all data on that drive). I don't
>have a spare PC at the moment but would be interested in hearing
>recommendations on sort of hardware that would be suitable.
>
>I take it that it would be overkill for dial-up?

Meant to include review URL:

GraB

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:27:18 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>December's APC mag has a bootable DVD which loads SmoothWall Express
>2.0 on a spare PC (totally erasing all data on that drive). I don't
>have a spare PC at the moment but would be interested in hearing
>recommendations on sort of hardware that would be suitable.
>
>I take it that it would be overkill for dial-up?

Meant to include review URL:

thing

GraB wrote:
> December's APC mag has a bootable DVD which loads SmoothWall Express
> 2.0 on a spare PC (totally erasing all data on that drive). I don't
> have a spare PC at the moment but would be interested in hearing
> recommendations on sort of hardware that would be suitable.
>
> I take it that it would be overkill for dial-up?

These days, no a firewall is a good idea, you should also be able to set
it to autodial if it detects network traffic (assuming you have other
PCs behind it on a LAN wanting to get out).

A Pentium 75 or better with PCI and 16meg of ram would do a dialup....

regards

Thing

Alex Axolotl

GraB wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:27:18 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>December's APC mag has a bootable DVD which loads SmoothWall Express
>>2.0 on a spare PC (totally erasing all data on that drive). I don't
>>have a spare PC at the moment but would be interested in hearing
>>recommendations on sort of hardware that would be suitable.
>>
>>I take it that it would be overkill for dial-up?

> Meant to include review URL:
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=5897

http://www.freesco.org is enough for dialup, no hd required

Gordon

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:27:18 +1300, GraB wrote:

> December's APC mag has a bootable DVD which loads SmoothWall Express
> 2.0 on a spare PC (totally erasing all data on that drive). I don't
> have a spare PC at the moment but would be interested in hearing
> recommendations on sort of hardware that would be suitable.
>
> I take it that it would be overkill for dial-up?

Nope, Smoothwall works a treat and all the dial up guff is in the
Smoothwall box. Also has DHCP etc

Think about this? How long does it take for your PC to be attacked when on
the 'net. Its done in the time you read this.

http://www.smoothwall.org read and absorb.

Mark S

Not bad for an open source effort. But its still lacking vs a commercial
product.

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:27:18 +1300, GraB wrote:
>
> > December's APC mag has a bootable DVD which loads SmoothWall Express
> > 2.0 on a spare PC (totally erasing all data on that drive). I don't
> > have a spare PC at the moment but would be interested in hearing
> > recommendations on sort of hardware that would be suitable.
> >
> > I take it that it would be overkill for dial-up?

> Nope, Smoothwall works a treat and all the dial up guff is in the
> Smoothwall box. Also has DHCP etc
>
> Think about this? How long does it take for your PC to be attacked when on
> the 'net. Its done in the time you read this.
>
> http://www.smoothwall.org read and absorb.

Dave Taylor

"Mark S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:41b53e3d$0$29136$45beb828
@newscene.com:

> Not bad for an open source effort. But its still lacking vs a commercial
> product.

A bit better IMHO is IPCop
http://www.ipcop.org

--
Ciao, Dave

The Hobbit

<Fixed top posting>

"Mark S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41b53e3d$0$29136$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:27:18 +1300, GraB wrote:

<Snip>
> > > I take it that it would be overkill for dial-up?

> > Nope, Smoothwall works a treat and all the dial up guff is in the
> > Smoothwall box. Also has DHCP etc
> >
> > Think about this? How long does it take for your PC to be attacked when

on
> > the 'net. Its done in the time you read this.
> >
> > http://www.smoothwall.org read and absorb.
> >

> Not bad for an open source effort. But its still lacking vs a commercial
> product.

Which is why they *also* have a commercial product
http://www.smoothwall.net/

I've been running SW for about 3 or 4 years (I think, maybe longer) on a
P133 with 64MB RAM and a 4GB HDD, I'm looking at IPCop now as they've
finally released v1.4 which has a 'Blue' interface for WiFi - though I might
need to review my choice PC as I'll then need 4 NICs and I think the dunga
I've got is maxed out in the slot department.

[META] Talking about talking about C. Seebs C Programming 113 11-24-2010 08:57 AM
4 computers 2 not talking to each other Carol Wireless Networking 8 12-30-2005 06:11 PM
Netscreen-Remote client talking to Cisco VPN 3005? Road Rage Cisco 0 05-11-2005 03:26 PM
ATM links not talking polifemo Cisco 1 10-20-2003 02:28 PM
where can I find book/resources talking about DSP design using VHDL? walala VHDL 1 09-01-2003 09:54 AM

Advertisments