Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Had to chuckle at this...

Had to chuckle at this...

Lawrence DčOliveiro

I've been reading the December issue of APC Magazine. On pages 36-37,
there's a review of the Toshiba Qosmio G10, which appears to be the
first notebook running Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition.

Media Center is Microsoft's attempt to sell people home entertainment
centres running Windows. However:

Having to wait for a computer to boot each time you want to
watch the TV or a DVD is incredibly frustrating, so Toshiba has
worked on building an "instant-on" function into the Qosmio.
It consists of a Linux-based player that can be accessed by the
remote control. If the machine is switched on via a special button,
it automatically boots to the player software and begins DVD or
CD playback--all in less than 10 seconds.

Now, let's run that by again: Media Center is supposed to give you an
all-singing, all-dancing _Windows_-based system for home entertainment.
However, since it's so slow to boot, Toshiba have a system for bypassing
it and letting you run _Linux_ to access your home entertainment
functions instead!

Is that gnashing of teeth I hear in Redmond...?

steve

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:

> Now, let's run that by again: Media Center is supposed to give you an
> all-singing, all-dancing _Windows_-based system for home entertainment.
> However, since it's so slow to boot, Toshiba have a system for bypassing
> it and letting you run Linux to access your home entertainment
> functions instead!

I love it... Good story!

> Is that gnashing of teeth I hear in Redmond...?

Who cares?

--
Distributed Computing Projects:
SETI at Home

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Lawrence D?Oliveiro
wrote:
> I've been reading the December issue of APC Magazine. On pages 36-37,
> there's a review of the Toshiba Qosmio G10, which appears to be the
> first notebook running Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition.
>
> Media Center is Microsoft's attempt to sell people home entertainment
> centres running Windows. However:
>
> Having to wait for a computer to boot each time you want to
> watch the TV or a DVD is incredibly frustrating, so Toshiba has
> worked on building an "instant-on" function into the Qosmio.
> It consists of a Linux-based player that can be accessed by the
> remote control. If the machine is switched on via a special button,
> it automatically boots to the player software and begins DVD or
> CD playback--all in less than 10 seconds.
>
> Now, let's run that by again: Media Center is supposed to give you an
> all-singing, all-dancing _Windows_-based system for home entertainment.
> However, since it's so slow to boot, Toshiba have a system for
> bypassing it and letting you run _Linux_ to access your home
> entertainment functions instead!
>
> Is that gnashing of teeth I hear in Redmond...?

They added another OS and software just to get 'instant on'? Why not
just boot the computer into Windows and then use the sleep function
instead of shutting it down?

http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

Collector»NZ

Roger Johnstone said the following on 6/12/2004 11:04 p.m.:
> In <(E-Mail Removed)> Lawrence D?Oliveiro
> wrote:
>
>>I've been reading the December issue of APC Magazine. On pages 36-37,
>>there's a review of the Toshiba Qosmio G10, which appears to be the
>>first notebook running Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition.
>>
>>Media Center is Microsoft's attempt to sell people home entertainment
>>centres running Windows. However:
>>
>> Having to wait for a computer to boot each time you want to
>> watch the TV or a DVD is incredibly frustrating, so Toshiba has
>> worked on building an "instant-on" function into the Qosmio.
>> It consists of a Linux-based player that can be accessed by the
>> remote control. If the machine is switched on via a special button,
>> it automatically boots to the player software and begins DVD or
>> CD playback--all in less than 10 seconds.
>>
>>Now, let's run that by again: Media Center is supposed to give you an
>>all-singing, all-dancing _Windows_-based system for home entertainment.
>>However, since it's so slow to boot, Toshiba have a system for
>>bypassing it and letting you run _Linux_ to access your home
>>entertainment functions instead!
>>
>>Is that gnashing of teeth I hear in Redmond...?

> They added another OS and software just to get 'instant on'? Why not
> just boot the computer into Windows and then use the sleep function
> instead of shutting it down?

Two Words "Battery Life" and two more "User Friendly"

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
his toes.

macca

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:20:34 +1300, steve
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>
> > Now, let's run that by again: Media Center is supposed

to give you an
> > all-singing, all-dancing _Windows_-based system for home

entertainment.
> > However, since it's so slow to boot, Toshiba have a

system for bypassing
> > it and letting you run Linux to access your home

entertainment
> > functions instead!

> I love it... Good story!
>
> > Is that gnashing of teeth I hear in Redmond...?

> Who cares?

Its an amusing anecdote and a satirical dig at MS for its
use of another operating system..you do know satire do you
not.? ahh forget it.!! whoosh!!!

Waylon Kenning

It seems like Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:12:43 +1300 was when Lawrence
DčOliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> said Blah blah blah...

> If the machine is switched on via a special button,
> it automatically boots to the player software and begins DVD or
> CD playback--all in less than 10 seconds.

You should see how fast my CD player takes to play a CD

Actually, owning a Pocket PC is a pretty neat experience. One thing
I've never had to do with a Pocket PC is wait. Everything it does is
instantly. It just doesn't do everything that's all
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

DoggNZ

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:40:34 GMT, macca <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:20:34 +1300, steve
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>>
>> > Now, let's run that by again: Media Center is supposed

>to give you an
>> > all-singing, all-dancing _Windows_-based system for home

>entertainment.
>> > However, since it's so slow to boot, Toshiba have a

>system for bypassing
>> > it and letting you run Linux to access your home

>entertainment
>> > functions instead!

>> I love it... Good story!
>>
>> > Is that gnashing of teeth I hear in Redmond...?

>> Who cares?
>>

>Its an amusing anecdote and a satirical dig at MS for its
>use of another operating system..you do know satire do you
>not.? ahh forget it.!! whoosh!!!

He was saying "Who cares?" in regard to "Is that gnashing of teeth I
hear in Redmond...?" Also, it's not MS using another operating system,
it's Toshiba. Whoosh!!!

--
BOINC SETI
http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Collector?NZ wrote:
> Roger Johnstone said the following on 6/12/2004 11:04 p.m.:
>> In <(E-Mail Removed)> Lawrence D?Oliveiro
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I've been reading the December issue of APC Magazine. On pages 36-37,
>>>there's a review of the Toshiba Qosmio G10, which appears to be the
>>>first notebook running Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition.
>>>
>>>Media Center is Microsoft's attempt to sell people home entertainment
>>>centres running Windows. However:
>>>
>>> Having to wait for a computer to boot each time you want to
>>> watch the TV or a DVD is incredibly frustrating, so Toshiba has
>>> worked on building an "instant-on" function into the Qosmio.
>>> It consists of a Linux-based player that can be accessed by the
>>> remote control. If the machine is switched on via a special button,
>>> it automatically boots to the player software and begins DVD or
>>> CD playback--all in less than 10 seconds.
>>>
>>>Now, let's run that by again: Media Center is supposed to give you an
>>>all-singing, all-dancing _Windows_-based system for home
>>>entertainment. However, since it's so slow to boot, Toshiba have a
>>>system for bypassing it and letting you run _Linux_ to access your
>>>home entertainment functions instead! Is that gnashing of teeth I
>>>hear in Redmond...?

>> They added another OS and software just to get 'instant on'? Why not
>> just boot the computer into Windows and then use the sleep function
>> instead of shutting it down?
>>

> Two Words "Battery Life"

I suppose it's just the way I use my old laptop. It's a battered old
PowerBook 5300 (all PB5300s are battered, they're widely regarded as the
flimsiest, shoddiest product Apple ever made) with the original 5+ year
old battery, but it still lasts several days when in sleep mode. If I'm
going to be away from a recharge source for longer than that, then
what's the point? The average laptop will only be able to watch one DVD
movie before needing recharged anyway!

> and two more "User Friendly"

OK. Windows. You've got me there.

http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

Re: I had to chuckle otter Digital Photography 4 01-11-2011 12:50 PM
Have you ever had your computer crashed at 3am and wished that you had someone to call? lifestylelink Computer Support 10 08-12-2006 03:05 PM
OT: Tuesday Chuckle Ken Briscoe MCSE 2 08-17-2004 01:29 PM
Morning Chuckle Ron MCSE 13 04-14-2004 03:12 PM
you gave me a grin and a chuckle Scott D MCSE 3 10-28-2003 03:11 PM

Advertisments